Help picking a fish finder

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by catfisherman369, Dec 4, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have never had a fish finder . Guess I have just been lucky at finding the fish by looking for trees in the water and fishing the openings of coves .
    Anyway I an thinking of getting one for my 18 foot flat bottom and would like something easy to read and simple to hook up . Anyone got any ideas on one a dumb old redneck like myself might be looking for .

The nieghbor tried selling me an eagle for a 100.00 but I know squat when it comes to those things .

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got a greyscale unit dual beam that runn me $250, some of the color and side scan units can cost up to $2000 or better

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I know they can get high in the dollars , I was thinking of starting simple .

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My first finder was an Eagle fishmark 320 black and white, they have them at wal mart for 150$ honestly, I was impressed then, and even when i think back still impressed by how nice of a finder it really was. Really easy to use and for the price great fish arches and structure definition. I wouldnt go much cheaper than that, just MHO. Its a very nice starter unit for the price, 5 inch screen to, not a small as some of the other cheap units..

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Exactly what Travis said!

Bill in SC

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The humminbird 565 is a great finder for less than $200! High quality graph that easy to use. Heck I could even see my anchor coming up. I would say it is one of the best black/white finders on the market

7. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have a HB 100 my son bought me about 8 yrs ago and i think he paid 79 bucks for it. it don't have temp and no arches but it shows the fish symbols. don't know how accurate the fishfinder is but the deptfinder works great. but when i upgrade i'm gonna get the top of the line even if i have to take a second mortgage on my home.:smile2:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  8. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    in my opinion once u get one they can be addictive. if i could do it all over again i would have saved my money and bought a expensive one from the start because i never was satisfied with the cheap ones. if im gna have one i want it to work with out a doubt. i started with a cheap eagle cuda, and would never get that again. i gave it away. then i got a humminbird si loved it but didnt like the regular down image so i bought a lowrance hds-5 and i love it. i use both at same time. if i was just starting off and wanted a good finder i would deff get on ebay and go with a lowrance hds-5 its small but powerful and has the built in gps. i dnt know anything about finders and this unit u can plug in and go. shows perfect fish arches and structure and marking a spot on the gps where u catch fish is as easy as a push of a button. if you already have no problem finding fish i would save the money and not waste it on older cheaper models. u get what u pay for

9. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jody do they cause interference to one another when you are running both units ? also how do you have the transducers mounted on your boat ,pic please

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bottom line is, if you are a VERY AVID fisherman, and spend LOTS of time on the water, buy the best color fishfinder/gps that you can afford. If you are an occasional weekend warrior, a $150 to $200 fishfinder will suit you just fine.

Bill in SC

11. UpNorth Dude

UpNorth Dude New Member

State:
    Mn.
    Do some simple searches on Google for different brands and REVIEWS of any particular model.

Beware of someone claiming his is the best ... may be he never had more than 1 or his works great for him...but may not be right for you.

I run a Garmin FISHFINDER 240 on my front trolling motor ..and an EAGLE Optima 240 in the back.

Different brands so they don't mess with each other with false returns.

I use a standalone GPS..Garmin 76s that I use for hunting and other stuff.

I Fish lake Superior at least 6 times a year so I use a HORIZON HX350s VHF marine Radio that I would never fish without on big water.

After you do your research..and figure what you want to spend..buy and STUDY the unit and its MANUAL.

You can read the bottom and get fishy symbols to appear by simply turning most units on.

I can read my down rigger balls in 100 ft of water ..but only in manual with the AUTO stuff turned OFF.

Most ice fishermen will tell you to turn the power up and the auto stuff off to read small 1/8 th jig in 20 ft of water...jig up and down and watch pacfish come and eat.Great fun.

When you realize most fish wont stay under a noisy boat under 20 ft...you become a much quieter fisherman.Turn the motor OFF and watch your FISH FINDER show much more fish.

last ..most Fishermen up north are becoming less than happy with Lowrance/eagle and are switching to GARMIN...better customer service.

Good luck and have fun..

12. UpNorth Dude

UpNorth Dude New Member

State:
    Mn.
  13. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    I just got a HB 788ci for my boat, so far I love it. I found it on Amazon.com for $520.00 and they paid the shipping. I put out another $62.00 for the quadrabeam transducer. I'm not sure the quadrabeam is worth the extra money unless you are going to use it on the trolling motor.

My only complaint was the spray and rooster tail from the big transducer, after after a little fiddling I got that to a minimum.

I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger and the HB had the best reviews and less problems with customer service. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jayhawkokie
    Grand Lake Oklahoma