HELP Pecan pie Help needed

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Jazper, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I am having a terrible time getting my pecan pie to stand up in the middle. I have made three of them so far and the same problem. Any help is greatly apprecieated. Thank you

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    my wife said to use the recipe on the back of a bottle of kayro, should turn out better :big_smile: :cool2:

3. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I'm going to try, I was just curious if I was doing something wrong. I've never had it do it to me three times.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    My wife says it sounds like you are bakeing it to fast,she also says use the karo recipe and it will turn out good. Take it from me hers are the shiznit!:big_smile:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I blind bake my crust for a pecan pie. I go by the color of the crust and over all color of the pecans and a tooth pick to test for doneness. Never trust recipe time tables because every oven cooks differently. Keep a close eye on your pie. :big_smile:

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Try adding a tbls. of flour to your filling.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Jeremy, Jack brought up the first question that came to mind for me. Is your oven cooking everything ELSE normally? Sometimes the temperature gauge on an oven has to be re-calibrated (I THINK that's the correct terminology :smile2:). Are you saying that the CRUST is completely done but the filling isn't? If so, the cooking too FAST idea might be true; if NOT, seems to me your oven might not be hot enough.

The Karo syrup pecan pies are definitely great, but if you don't have any of that on hand (or are trying to get away from corn syrup - evidently it's not so good for us), here's a pecan pie recipe from a special lady in my life who's no longer with us. It's very simple and good; forms a bit of a crispy crust on top with the pecans.

Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie

3 eggs
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
    3/4 stick margarine or butter (6 tblsp)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/2 cup pecan halves

Melt butter, mix with brown sugar. Whisk in eggs and vanilla, stir in pecan halves. Pour into pie shell. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.

8. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    ive had that trouble, too. so, i bake the pie according to my recipe, & when the knife doesnt come out clean at the end of the specified time, i cover the whole thing in foil & bake for another 10 or 15 minutes. this usually takes care of it, my crust isnt black, & the smoke alarms arent going off.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dang it! i thought you needed help eating that pecan pie.:smile2: well im not good at cooking but the eating part i can help with.:big_smile: good luck with your pie.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Your pie should be soft and smooth, like a cream pie.

1. Take the pie out of the oven before it is completely set. It will continue to cook while cooling. The cooling makes them more solid.

2. Use a slow oven (250 to 300 degrees). It gives you the best filling. HOWEVER add a hot filling to a partially cooked hot crust. This cuts your baking time down.

3. Prebake your crust till partially browned then bake the pie with the hot crust and hot filling.

The hardest part is choosing the right ice cream.

Postbeetle

11. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Thank you all for your help. Not sure why I didn't think about those things, but I'm definately going to try them all out. I've never had this problem before. Thank you all again.

12. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Even the four pies I have made so far turned out bad or not set, They were still very very good. :tounge_out: