Help or advice needed fast!

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by just a redneck, Jun 23, 2008.

1. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have a 1992 F250 regular cab, the drivers side window just quit working! Dont have the money to take it to a mechanic right now, just wondering if there is a way to get the power window up manually. I dont live in the best neighborhood so I cant put plastic up because it's a big "steal me" sign. And if it rains my interiors going to be ruined!! Any advice would be great and as quick as possible. Thanks!!! :confused2:

2. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    steve I owned a veh once that same thing happened and it was the wire that came through the door its self.I connected the wires and it worked.you might ck this out

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I ain't done it in years,but you use to be able to take the panel off and get to the mechanism.You could raise your window with a little mechanical ingenuity and leave it raised.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Assuming that it's the window motor and not a switch or circuit issue.
    Try locating the window motor and tap on it with a small hammer,screwdriver handle or whatever's in your hand at the time.
    You may need to hold the switch in the up position while you rap on the motor. You may be able to do it without removing the door panel. Get in the truck and with the door open. Hold the switch in the up position and slam the door. This will work in most cases. The only thing is, if it does go up. I would leave it in the up position until I was ready to replace the window motor. Otherwise this trick may not work when it comes time to replace the motor. You will need to lower the window to separate it from the window regulator.

During these attempts be sure that the key is in the run position! I know that is common sense. But I speak from experience.:wink:
    I hope this helps!

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Good advice, we usually use the banging on the door trick & hold the switch in the up position.. Just a little trick when it comes time to replace the motor(assuming its the motor) there are little plastic balls behind the gear of the motor that get grinded up, if you take those out & replace them with steel ball bearings, it will last a long time..:wink: Of course that is only if the motor is working & the gear seems to be "stripped" out...if not it will be the whole motor unfortunately....but sometimes it will be the switch, those were a problem too, but not as much as the motors.........hope this helps!!

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I was able to buy a repair kit for the gears at the local Ford dealer. A lot cheaper than the whole motor. Good luck.

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    same thing happened to my truck a while back, take off the door panel and check all the wires connected to that little motor in there

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have had several fords. A few years back my windows quit working but could hear motors running but no action. Pulled it down and the PLASTIC bearings in the window motors had burned up. It has a triangle gear with three plastic bearings. When I went to the dealer the rebuild kit was astronomical. My buddy told me to fix it with three hex head nuts. Never had any issues. However the passenger side did the same 6 months later and had to repeat on the other side.
    Good luck.
    Lindsay