Help on Upper Cape Fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by jcm271, Jul 18, 2007.

1. jcm271

jcm271 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    First of all thanks to everybody for the great information. I've been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks now and it has been very educational.

I'm new to flathead fishing and need some pointers. I am fishing in the Upper Cape Fear above Buckhorn Dam. I know to use live or fresh cut bream. My specific questions are: At night should I be looking for shallow spots, or will they still be hanging around the cover? and, how far upstream should I go? Is the confluence of the Haw and Deep rivers a good spot? Should I head farther up the Haw towards the dam? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    It is always going to rain there and be foggy at night...thats a given....make sure you have a good light to get out of there...

and watch the moon phase the darker the better...the new moon is the darkest....our experience has taught us to not even bother fishing when there is a full moon...those fish are very skittish..

USE BIG LIVE BAIT FOR FLATTIES, THEY WILL HIT CUT BAIT BUT PREFER LIVE!!!

yes no yes and yes....

yes fish shallow humps or river bends or sand bars....

No don't fish close to the structure at night they are usually out cruising the banks...however during the late afternoon, fishing around the structure is a good bet...

yes the confluence of the rivers is a good spot....

yes further up are some good spots....

watch your fish finder and during the night you want to be fishing about 5' of water...or shallower...

we will fish deeper if the fish are not shallow we will move to 10'-15' but not much deeper....

hope this helps good luck!!!

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Watch out for the rock in the center channel under Old US 1 bridge!!

:eek:oooh:

LOL

4. jcm271

jcm271 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for your help guys. I plan on going out sometime next week to try some of your tips. Thanks for the warning about the rock.