Help on tieing off from bank to bank

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by cbiblis, Dec 9, 2008.

1. cbiblis

cbiblis New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have a 24' pontoon boat that i night fish in. Most of the time i tie off bank to bank with rope. It's a real pain to have to untangle rope everytime i want to tie off. I am aware that i could get cord reels but i am really wanting to know if anyone has a solution for a boat mount crank wheel for the front and the back. I would like to be able to connect to one bank then release the crank then troll over to the other bank, lets say 150', connect to the other bank, then crank the first until i am secured in the middle of the lake by both ropes with tension to keep them out of the water. So what i'm asking is: Are there speed reel cranks avalable that would hold 150' of anchor rope and can be mounted to my boat.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Chris,
    I'm a bit confused. If you tie off to both banks, aren't you preventing anyone else from going by? Why not just drop an anchor at each end?
    I use 1/2" diameter braided anchor rope that is 300' long. under normal circumstances it never gets tangled up. As I pull it in I just let it lay in a plastic tote box in the front of the boat. It comes out of there clean every time...W

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    We often set up like you do tied to the bank. Just tie to the bank and the move off the bank the desired distance and throw a heavy anchor right off the back (two cinder blocks should work). You certainly don't want to tie off to both sides of the lake b/c that would be very dangerous to other boaters and yourself. Also, you don't want to get too far from the bank with your rope b/c it could be misleading to other boaters, you don't want to get anyone hurt.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Winston on this. Two good anchors is the answer.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with others on the saftey of this practice, but I just roll my rope in a 5 gal bucket as i pull it in and never have any problems. be sure to drill holes in the bucket so that the rope can dry and not rott.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I can see the advantages of tieing off on each bank as you can easily adjust your position anywhere between the banks. However, if your on a navigable water way, this may be against the law. If your in a neck, then as Winston stated, you can well be denying access to others to fish the neck. My friend, I'd recommend the two anchors just to stay out of possible trouble.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'll stay out of the legal aspect, as others have already covered it. Coiling rope into a bucket works good, I have seen garden hose reels used also, its a little sturdier than a cord reel, and if you get one that automatically goes back and forth across the reel it'll spool evenly fairly easily.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Look up hand winches and winches on line.Hand power and 12 volt are there.There are also the marine anchor windless that are often found on larger sail and power boats.

While you can tie up to the bank and anchor the other end of your boat,you can not block a channel without official approval,a permit and proper warning signs and/or lights at night to warn traffic.You must have a good reason such as salvage,pile driving or such work.I use to have to do this by the book when trimming canoe trails in the middle of the Okefenokee Swamp.If your hull is not touching the bank,even though you may be tied up to it,you must show a legal "Anchor Light"."IF" it is private waters,you can do whatever the owner allows.

Now,as I have heard the Judge say."it is up to the discretion of the court,If you do not like it,appeal it"!

I have seen people right here on the BOC bragging of how much beer they drank and then running the river in foggy conditions at high speed.These folk will kill you along with there selves AND it is always someone else's fault.Careful here.Your life depends on it.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I worked on a line boat for years and have seen all kinds of hand winches that are small enough to mount on a pontoon and hold over a hundred feet of rope . So im sure they are out there .

10. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    We do it all the time and the lake is regulated by the feds (National Park Service and the State). We pull into a deep but narrow cove and basically cut the cove off and go from bank to bank across the cove not he lake, creek, or river. Game Wardens have never said anything. We use a mounted anchor crank on the front and back of the boat to reel in our lines that we tie off with and also use it to unreel our trot lines.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great,as long as it lasts.I checked it out with both.As one source said,"you are not allowed to barricade any section of public water for private use"."Apparently no complaint has been made".

One source wanted to know where it was being done and which Game Wardens were ignoring it.And no,I did not tell them or about the source on here.As I honestly did not know,I did not have to make a decision about it.I am done with this.

A member of the Coast Guard also thought it "was dangerous and a cause of accidents"."If property is damaged,someone is killed or injured by illegal mooring,you will be cited and prosecuted".

I would reconsider and check it out before doing it again.

Folks.This was a common way of anchoring Shanty and House boats in my youth.You did not even have to have a light on a boat at night whether moving or anchored.BUT!We did not have folks traveling 50-80 MPH day and night either under all conditions.Folks motored slow and had enough sense to pass over or under these mooring lines and cables when ever they wished.Now days they run over them due to excessive speed,and if they get stopped in time,they break out a cell phone.They call and cry about ANY inconvenience which they see as a catastrophe if it interferes with their slightest wish.

Plain and simple.I believe that folks who "completely" block off a water to others are as selfish as the ones who do not want to expend a little effort or slow down to get by.I see nothing wrong with a line across a water as long as others can get by.The law and many do.