Help on the way for big cats...

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by greggofish, Dec 10, 2007.

1. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Public hearings about to start on the following proposed changes. Go to http://www.ncwildlife.org/ for the dates if you want to go speak your peace........

Other proposed hunting, trapping and fishing rules changes include:

* Eliminating regional trapping seasons for mink, muskrat, nutria, otter, skunk, weasel, bobcat, opossum, raccoon, coyote and groundhogs and establishing one statewide season, Nov. 1 through the last day of February, with exceptions;

* Implementing a one-fish creel limit on blue catfish greater than 32 inches in length in Lake Norman and Badin Lake;

* Opening 3,800 acres in Burke County as a permit-only game land and 1,900 acres in Brunswick County as a six-day-per-week game land;

* Closing the striped bass season in the inland and joint fishing waters of the Cape Fear River and its tributaries year-round; reducing the daily creel limit to two fish and establishing an Oct. 1 to April 30 harvest period for the inland and joint fishing waters of the Tar-Pamlico, Neuse, and Pungo rivers and other rivers and waters in the Coastal Plain, excluding the Roanoke River/Albemarle Sound striped bass management area and Cape Fear River.

* Adding several species to the state’s list of Endangered, Threatened and Special Concern species while removing others from the list.

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    enter your comments about any proposed regulation change online at the above website.....it counts the same as going to the meetings.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hope that gets passed! Maybe if it gets passed we could start getting some regs in other parts of the state as well. I'd sure like to see some here in the eastern part of the state. The bush hook guys are just killing the cats in the rivers down here. I'm gonna try my best to get to the meeting in Elizabeth town. Bout the only one close to Wilmington that I saw. Thanks for the information man.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks Bro., for bringing this to our attention. You can use the link provided in message one of this thread and vote for or against this new regulation. It is item F-27 and the Carolinas Catfish Club encourages you to attend one or two of these hearings and make your presents known. Those that oppose it will be there in force and thus we need to do the same. The link mentioned above states the hearing locations and time.

This is the first time that the Wildlife Commission has offered a reg. for blue catfish. The Carolinas Catfish Club has been working to get the State to do something about/for our fisheries since 2001. It has been a slow process, but thanks to our President Deiter Melhorn (WylieCat) and others, we now have a chance to move forward for the betterment of our fisheries. This is one small step, but a very important one. Don't wait for the other guy/gal to vote or attend the meetings, be a leader of your group or friends/fisherperson and vote NOW and attend the meetings in 2008 and encourage others to do the same.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Folks, we need to make sure we take the time to attend these meetings and have our voices heard. Complaining is easy, but actually taking the steps to change things take some effort. :wink:

Thursday January 10th is the meeting for you folks in the Badin Lake area and it is at South Stanly High School in Norwood.

Tuesday January 15th is the meeting for the folks in the Lake Norman area and it is in Morganton at Municipal Auditorium. I can transport 3-4 other folks in my truck, so let me know if you want to pile in!! Phillip Price, its your backyard, no excuses!!! :smile2:

I know this proposal only affects two lakes, but folks from around the state need to show their support. These two lakes are a test, and if they can prove it is beneficial, it could be implemented in other areas. It has the potential to make NC one of the top blue cat destinations in the country. :big_smile:

There will be a lot more posts and talk about this over the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    we as catmen need to go in forse to both meetings i will be attending an can take six with me just let me know.

7. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    My only concern is if Badin and lake Norman are the only two local lakes that might get the implementing of the creel limit of one fish over 32 " would that cause the over fishng of the neighboring lakes by maybe double of what they are recieving now . Then those neighboring lakes could suffer tremendously . I would like to see more than just these two lakes implementing this rule. OMO (Jeremy Dowd / Gearhead):0a21:

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Gearhead that is a valid concern, but at this point the NCWRC is not going to implement a statewide restriction until they can gain some research data from a limited area. They currently have plans in place for doing research on Norman and Badin, and that is the reason these two lakes were named in the propsal that the Carolina Catfish Club made.

If this restriction passes, and once some research is gained, we will then begin to pursue other regulation changes that will benefit trophy catfish anglers around the state.

Luckily for all of us we have some smart folks like BOC and CCC member Phillip Price (Price) who have worked on these type laws in other states. His knowledge helped get the wheels in motion. There are plenty other folks from here on the BOC that have a lot to offer as well, and WE NEED YOU at those meetings in January!! :wink:

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    2008 Hunting, Trapping and Fishing Public Hearings Schedule

All hearings begin at 7 p.m.

Jan. 3, 2008 NCWRC Headquarters / Centennial Campus / Raleigh
    Jan. 7, 2008 Courthouse / Elizabethtown
    Jan. 9, 2008 Courthouse / Graham
    Jan. 10, 2008 South Stanly High School / Norwood
    Jan. 15, 2008 Morganton / Municipal Auditorium

Jan. 16, 2008 Southwestern Community / Sylva College
    Jan. 17, 2008 Starmount High School / Boonville
    Jan. 22, 2008 Swain Auditorium / Edenton
    Jan. 23, 2008 New Bern Courthouse / New Bern
    Jan. 24, 2008 Louisburg Annex Building District Courthouse

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    The NC portion of Kerr-Buggs Island lake should also be included following the VA laws 20 a day, only 1 longer than 32 inches per day. The reason the noodle crowed is hitting it hard and taking their toll.:sad2:

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    IF you have not done so already, please log onto the NCWRC website and SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN FAVOR of the restrictions. You can follow this link:
    http://www.ncwildlife.org/ Follow the link to "submit a comment online" and go to the "fishing" section. It will be item F27.

Anyone can log in and vote!! So make sure family members and friends who support this are made aware!!

12. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Also support Regs on jug hooks. But change them to 20 per boat, Fished only from sunrise to sunset, and require the angler to stay insight of jug hooks at all times. I also suggested a creel limit of 20 per day.

13. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Have any of you guys tried to leave a comment on line. I have tried several times in last three days and I can never connect to their server. Has anyone been successful leaving a comment. I would like to speak in favor of the catfish reg.:tounge_out:

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    its not working for me either john.:sad2: i hope there server has a overload by the concerned catfisherman in the world.:big_smile: thanks to all the out of state folks for helping push this law through. fighting along with this is tuff but fighting together will hopefully bring along a change for these two lakes and i think you for it. keep trying!:wink:

15. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    JDWILLIS39 I did today with no problem. I made comments on the blue length regs and the jug hook regs. I added some suggestions to both suggested regs. On the blue length regs I asked that Kerr-Buggs Island lake also be included , and to also set a creel limit of 20 per day. And under a VA licenses both regs already apply on the same body of water? On the jug hooks I suggested that the limit be 20 jugs per boat not 100. That hawking hours be set from sunrise to sunset. And that angler be required to stay in view of their jugs at all times. Jug-noodle fishing has gotten out of hand and its time for some regs. One the litter, two boating and swimming hazards, three over harvest and unselective harvest, and four the wanton waste. The biggest cat caught at Buggs in 2006 was 89lb and caught on a jug hook but not by the angler that set it. It was recovered a few days later by a striper fisherman. The angler did have his personal info on the noodle witch is required under a VA license but not required under a NC license. The fish was released by the striper fisherman but if it would have been retrieved by the angler that set it, it would have been show and tell. And did the fish survive after fighting that noodle for several days? How many trophy fish die on float sets to never be found? The same group is also know to harvest large #'s of big fish on a regular basis, I know them. Their just one of the many groups fishing this way and most just set and leave. Any way my 3 cents.

16. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    just made comments on blues and jugs also had wife do it every comment counts.

17. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Made my comments , 10 juggs a boat is plenty to keep a eye own and still have fun for the juggers. That would help even if Neighboring lakes did'nt get the creel limit rule.

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    F26 is the jugging proposal. make sure you do that one too. john its working now bro.

19. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Thanks to every one that's concerned with promoting trophy cat-fisheries! There is another proposed reg on electrical fishing devices F30 on the Cape Fear I suggested it should be banned altogether. There is a lot of limb line sets on the river and do not feel that electrical devices should be allowed in order to take catfish.

20. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    OK it worked for me to today. I got my comments in on F26, 27 and 30. I am glad to see we are moving in right direction. Thanks guys.