Help on the Neuse River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by scott1, Jun 30, 2007.

1. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am not looking for anyone to give up there honey holes, I just want to know if anyone is willing to point me in the right direction. I launch at spring garden, I have been out maybe 3 or 4 times and have yet to hook up with a big flat. I am fishing shallow at night, fishing structure during the day, using blue gill and eels and I still cant find one. Any help would be great, I just want to know if anyone knows where the big ones hang out at. What depth and what kind of structure are yall catchin them in. Just a simple go left here and then right here and fish around here is all I am looking for. I catch and release everything so dont worry about me taking the big fish out of the river, thanks in advance. Scott

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I see you out on the river all the time, where have you been fishing. I am the one with the camo triton boat with the merc 4 stroke. If you see me out there pull up to the boat and we'll go get some flats. The last night you went by my boat I was fishing about 1 mile upriver from the ramp on the left hand side. I caught a 13lb channel cat there and I caught a 31lb flathead that night at another spot, nothing too big but its been a hard year for me. Normally I would have a few in the 50's and tons of 40's and 30's but not this year. I think with this rain lately maybe it will turn the fish on. Plus I found a spot last night where I could get tons of gizzard shad and that will help out a lot. if you want, pm me and I will give you my number so I can show you some spots.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jason, the BOC was fixing to issue a BOC milk carton with your picture on it.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    lol, I was just about to say.....find Jason and you will find big flatties on the Neuse.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.

Yeah have been real busy with the business and haven't really fished a whole lot. I have to bring my boat to the shop later in the week and I imagine that it will be there for a month or so. broke the upper motor mount and they have to drop the whole gear case and take the powerhead off to fix it. They say its a five hour job but getting the parts and dealing with the insurance company will take all the time. Going tonight in spring garden, hopefully they are biting.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well,

got to take my dad out fishing a few times this past week and finally found a big flathead for him. His biggest ever was a 21lb flathead and now with my help he caught a flathead weighing 47.06lbs and a bunch of smaller ones in the 20's and 30's , he was pretty happy. All the fish we caught were near the spring garden area on the neuse.

7. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well I finally got one last night. 24 lb caught with bream at around 9:30. Thanks for all the help.

8. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    My brother and i are planning a trip tomarrow and we were wondering where is spring garden?? we've fished the stretch between kinston and goldsboro for channels and thought we we would give a go at these spring garden flatties i keep reading about!!! i just have no clue where the launch even is! any directions would be appreciated!!

9. LFitzH20

LFitzH20 New Member

State:
    NC
    I think it's over by New Bern

10. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    thats what we figured from looking at where y'all live anyway.

p.s. that my brother

11. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It is in New Bern right off 43. If you are looking to launch there you can plot directions to West Craven Middle School. There is a launch there that I use, there is also a dock if you plan on fishing from shore. Let me know if you need better directions, you should be able to find the school on mapquest no problem though.

12. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    thanks. i think were going to head up there tonight. if the weather cooperates.

13. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Are you guys bringing a boat down or bank fishing?

14. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    little john boat. it aint pretty or water tight but it gets the job done...

15. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    Finaly got my first flathead!!! That's it in my avatar. He bit at about 9:00pm on a live bream. Nothing huge but its got me hooked. I appreciate the the good advice. I'm hooked now! After I caught him we fished until 5:00am and the only other thing we caught was a huge gar. Thanks again.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC

I'm sure that was awsome! I can tell from the smile on your face that it was an incredible experience. That first flathead is a very big moment for anybody that's tried to catch them. Hopefully now that you've broke the ice so to speak there will be many more to come.

17. LFitzH20

LFitzH20 New Member

State:
    NC

What my brother failed to mention was how we spent nearly 2 hours trying the catch the 6 small panfish that we did. I was using a hook that was entirely too big, on top of that I wasn't using propper bobber fishing etiquitte. Once we did get to the hole, I'd got both of my lines in the water when his flathead took the bait. I haven't seen him this happy in a long time. After he caught the gar, which was over 2ft long, we had some bites but nothing else landed. I knew it was time to leave when would look back and see my brother nodding off. A quick slap to the face with some frozen mullet woke him right up. It was an awesome time seeing him with that huge cat.

18. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats on the fish.Did u guys catch that catfish launching from spring garden? Theres a LOT of big ones around spring garden.The one in my avatar was caught a few weeks ago.If u can, buy some live eels and use those and live brim.Lately the cats around here have prefered eels.Hope u catch another big one

19. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    We did put in at Spring Garden. I caught that one not even a mile up stream from the launch. We stopped at Field and Stream bait shop but all I saw in there were bass minnows. Where can you get eels and what size do you use? Thanks again.

20. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    P.S. that's a heck of a fish!!:big_smile_2: