Help On The Cape Fear river in North Carolina

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by 01 Mudslinger, Apr 24, 2006.

1. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    Aight guys, i need alot help, i went sat. fishing, put in at riverside, i only went down river a little ways to where it started smellin really bad and the wife wanted to turn around, then went up river a ways to a railroad crossing, a little ways pass a old barge on the right side bank. now im goin back this weekend, would like to know of some good spots to setup and fish if nobody minds spillin out thier honeyholes. and also i dont have a depth finder on the boat right now, was really nervous last weekend bout runnin up in somthing shallow, is there anything i should know about the shallow spots, i am ordering a fish finder from bass pro tonite but probably wont have it by the weekend, so definately would appreciate that info more than anything. how far can you go either way up or down river from riverside and be safe, there was somebody set up under the railroad crossin fishin so i turned around but it looked alittle rough up around there best i could see. i definately will appreciate anything little thing you guys can add to help me out. I'll be goin Friday and sat. probably sunday too. i mite go to jordon sunday.

2. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Hunter can't give you much info below Fay but know the areas above. I believe I met you towing your boat last Thursday { 20th ) afternoon on a back road between Hwy 27 and Hwy 210. Were you coming from Jordan about that time ? If so, where you crossed The Cape Fear on N.C. 42 is a very good ramp. The river is usually high and slow. Up river you can go almost to Jordan damn ( not to close, rip rap ) . Usually good fishing all over. Most everyone you meet up that way fishing will be glad to give you some advice on what's going on and where they are catching fish. Some good cats all along that stretch of river. Some big tackle busting bowfin thrown in and that will give you a heart attack.

3. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    i went to jordon last thursday i believe it was, left fayetteville around 3 headed up there, not sure where i mite have passed ya at, i was keepin my boat at a buddies house down 210 towards lillington just past ray road u take a turn on shady grove. other than that i went 421 to sanford to highway 1 and put in at the overhills ramp. where is the NC 42 ramp, is that the one up next to jordon lake off exit 89 or somthing next to the brick plant.im still tryin to learn all these roads. im thinkin friday im gonna go to jordon during the day and hit the river friday afternoon. so i should be good to go upriver from fayetteville with not alot to worry about.thanks man. i really appreciate it, the fishin bug done got me good this year. first summer ive not been in iraq in 2 years. so im really excited.

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hunter,
    Best advice for the Cape Fear is go to Lock 2 in Elizabethtown, pay $15 for a shocking device, and go shock the cats up to the top. You'll not only catch alot of cats, you'll be saving the river...

5. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    Come on man, im lookin for honest help, not some smart ass answer from another thread that u aggravated about, i dont think shockin is right either other than when the Bioligist use it.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.

I hear ya, lets all go there for a shock gathering.

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina

Excuse me I didn't know we had to be so serious on here all the time Mudslinger. Sorry I didn't give you the exact reply you wanted to hear...

8. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jay you better not mention shocking on this thread, you'll be "aggravating!" LOL

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Oops I thought this was the shocking thread, lol. Seriously though, you can catch nice fish in the river, my biggest on that river is at lock 2 when they werent shocking that day, it was only like 21lbs but at that time it was my biggest so I was happy, I have since almost trippled the size of that fish but not on that river.

10. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    sorry guys, guess i got alittle aggravated, been a rough day, just lookin for some good info, only been on the river one time, dont wanna tear up my boat and would like to catch some nice fish.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Just stay below the new 295 bypass bridge in Fayetteville unless you know where the invisible rock dam is. The average river depth is 12 feet. Fishing is good all up and down that stretch of river. Pick your poison, deep holes or flats with snags.

12. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    hey mark, where is the 295 bypass bridge, the one next to the River Rd. exit, that would be upriver from riverside right, sorry for all the qtns guys, just tryin to get off on the right foot. this rock damn, can u get around it or do you stop there. appreciate the help.

13. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Mudslinger its called Avvents Ferry Landing by the locals. This is the upper Cape Fear between Broadway on 421 and Moncure by the way of Hwy 42 ( Poes Landing ( Jordan Lake ) near Moncure at the end of Moncure School rd. Right at the damn) . PM me with your phone number and I'll give you directions. Not any danger to your boat up that way either. If you can't find a shocker dynamite works just as well. Used a few grenades in Nam in cannels, sure blew everything to the top over there. Nobody complained either ! I feel sure I now have you totally confused and lost !

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yea thats the one. The new 4 lane that runs from 95 and dumps out on Ramsey close to Methodist college.
    The rock dam is about 200 yards up river from the bridge. Looking off the bridge alot of times you can see slight rippling on the water like the what wind looks like on water. That is the dam.
    Most of the time there is 6-12" of water on the dam so be very very careful with a motor. You'll tear it up before you realize it and never see the dam.
    If the water is up good you can motor across with the motor trimmed up.
    But yes that is several miles upriver from riverside. You'll run over alot of good fish getting that far up river.

What kind of boat and motor you using?

15. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    its an old boat nothing special, '76 thundercraft ss160 magnum, with a 70hp johnson outboard, got open bow and walk thru windshield, its white with a blue stripe goin down the side, so if ya see me around anywheres give me a hollar, ill be on the river and jordon all weekend. my truck is a '01 dark blue dodge dakota 4x4 lifted with 33x12.50's and a toolbox in the back, cant miss it, i got a dodge sticker across the front windshield and a #8 sticker and #3 sticker in the back glass(Earnhardt Jr. & Sr.)

16. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    Here is my truck if yall should come across it you will know its me. Just give me a hollar.

Attached Files:

17. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Mudslinger first of all I want to thank you for your service in defending our country!!!

MY OPINON: lock and dam #2 (e-town) does have some good fish..but I think your best bet is to stay out of bladen county and go to riverside.

Bear in mind Jordan and falls lake also produce good numbers of fish maybe not monsters (not yet) for that you probably should fish the lower neuse...

hope this helps!!!!

18. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    thanks blaze, ill be out on the river tomorrow, i was gonna head to jordon in the morning, but it depends, gotta hook the fish finder up now that it finally quit raining, and gonna wash the ol truck. then im gone head out.

19. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    mudslinger That smell you were talking about was probably behind the dog food plant. Great spot but dont tell anybody. Good luck.

20. CATCPA

CATCPA New Member

State:
    NC
    As you are heading upriver past the titanic (the barge) the next bridge you go through the middle posts but veer hard right and "hug that bank". There is a sandbar to the left. (deep after that) the next bridge you go to go throught the right side, not the middle posts. good spots up that way. then there is one more trestle you can go through. The next bridge (hwy 13) do not go past. Rocks galore. Good fishing. The river is real high now and a lot of trash floating. Do not recommend this weekend unless it does go down. Go to E town though and fish upriver. Fishing is much better.