Help On Shrimp...

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catfishparadise, Feb 8, 2008.

1. catfishparadise

catfishparadise New Member

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    I've heard a few people refer to how good shrimp catches channels...exactly what kind of shrimp are these? store bought? are there any additives? All help appreciated.

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    the best shrimp to use is fresh tiger shrimp un-cooked

3. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    where can you get that at?

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree fresh tiger shrimp and great for channels. You should be able to get them at any local grocery store.

5. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    cool and thanks, I'll have to look into that. How would you suggest I hook them???

6. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I peel mine and run the hook from the big end through the srimp untill it come out the tail,make sure to leave the point of the hook exposed

7. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Thanks man that helps a lot :big_smile:

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    He said it. Thats the best way i have found to hook them. They stay on good. And you will still have a good hookup if you leave the hook point exposed.

9. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't peel them. I leave the shells on them and do just as good. I also catch alot of blues on them.

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    That is how I use them. Shrimp has become one of my favorite baits for channels. Shrimp and fresh cut shad are #1 and #2. Also in warm water conditions I change shrimp pretty often. Comes in a blue pack/bag (something like a potato bag material) and is located in the frozen foods dept. I think it cost about $9 +/- a few pennies.:big_smile: I separate the shrimp into usable portions (using old butter bowls, etc) and only thaw what I need and keep the rest frozen until needed. A little lake water will thaw the shrimp pretty quickly when needed.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

12. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    We just buy them by the pound.This past year a friend of mine and I caught a couple channels pushn close to 15 to 20lbs. It was the first time I had used them myself.

13. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Thanks Big Dav, that helps a lot. Thats the kind of answer I was looking for :0a31:But what kind of shrimp do you happen to use???

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    On buying shrimp. They are expensive so my nephews usually go to an All You Can Eat Chinese Buffet, and get a to go plate/box. Then they head for the shrimp and fill it up.

I'd feel to guilty to do it myself, but my nephews don't care. LOL

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    RAW UNPEELED SHRIMP FROM WAL-MART WORKS GREAT :smile2:

16. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Is there like a certian brand or anything that you would suggest or is all that matters is that its raw and unpeeled???

17. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here is another tip for you. go to your local gracery store and talk to the guy behind the meat or seafood counter. alot of time you can talk them into giving you shrimp that has expired for free. just tell them you are using it for catfish bait and that its not for human consumption. they might give it to you they might not. just go by a few diffrent places and most of the time you can get it, at least for a discount. they are going to throw it away anyway. you can also go to a butcher shop and get fresh chiccken livers and hearts, and they work better than the stuff they sell in the tubs. never hurts to give it a try.

18. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Thanks for the tip Sgt. Sounds like a good idea!

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats what I use if I'm fishing for eater channels. They seem to like it pretty well. I mainly use cut skipjack and live bait since I fish for Flatheads mainly.

20. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Well I mainly fish for channels because I'm usually fishing in lakes so I'm definitely going to have to try out this shrimp and see how good I do with it.