Help on rod size..

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ultramindbrk, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok..My choices are 6'6" mh or 7' medium..I fish from the bank and boat 50/50 ...Which is going to be a good universal rod for me? I am using Ming Yang's cl-70 reels if that matters..And I always use circle hooks...Pretty new to buying rods seperate from the reel,so I want to make sure I choose the correct rod size for my application. I appreciate the help!

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to be honest i would actually go just a hair bigger and go with an 8 foot MH. with circle hooks the added length will help in the setting of the hook IMO. also by going with an 8 footer you will have increased casting distance from the shore, yet they aren't to long for a boat.

if i had to choose out of the two i would go with the longer.

3. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok! Yeah..Those 2 are my only choices..Catfish Connection has Sturdy Stiks for 19.75..And those are the only 2 sizes they have..Thanks for the quick reply!

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If you,re dead set on the sturdy stiks,I,d go with the 7fter.You can go with the American Spirit rods from CC and get just about any size you want for close to the same price.I,ve had em before and they,re heavy duty.Good luck with whatever you get!If you go with the American Spirits,I,d compromise and go either 7ft6 or 8ft to gain a little more distance from the bank.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Funny you say that..Was just looking at those as well..I am not toally dead set on the sturdy stik..Just liked the price and the few recomendations I have had on them..Thanks for the help!

6. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only thing I am not liking about them is the lure weight size..I use 8 oz pretty regularly,and they are only rated up to 3..but the sturdy stiks are rated 2-8..

7. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Like Pat stated I also would go for a longer and heavier action with the ming 70 reel.I prefer the tanglin with catfish rods but starting out the american angler nite sticks would be the way to go.They are close in price and heavy enough to handle anything.Good luck

8. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oh I would love to have the TWC rods..But I also enjoy being married..lol I am buying 2 rods,and after buying 2 reels at $100 bucks,which yeah is cheap for some of you money bags,is a HUGE purchase for fishing gear for me..But I will go check out the American Angler rods..

9. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oh..I am guessing you meant American Spirit..

10. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    They are badly underated by their company.I have a model ONG701M 7' nite stick pro in medium action , a 7'6" nite stick pro in mh action model ONG761MH and two of the model ONG828AB 8" blue series medium heavy action nite sticks all will handle 8 ounces with ease.I would recommend a medium heavy though.The medium is to light for me.I realy like the nite stick pro's 7'6" but it is higher.

11. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What size line do you use with these rods..Which is another "issue" I might see..Says rated at 30lbs.

12. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I use 60 pound braid most times , the rods will handle more.I know some that use 100 pound power pro braid with them with no problems.

13. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    The rods in the picture at the bottom of my signature are all American premier Nite sticks.You can click on my pic and go to my page and I have some more pics showing the rods and rod holders.I made these before I bought the Tangling With Catfish rods.Just scroll down to the bottom of my page where it says albums and click on the rod holder one.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  14. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Awesome! I think I am going to go with the 8' nite stik in m/h ...Thanks for the info!! Big help and muchly appreciated!

15. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    They will be fine with the reel you bought , as you can tell in the pics my 6000-6500 abu's look small on them.

16. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Done deal..$52.85 shipped for Nite stiks and the Ming Yangs were $101.93. Not bad for 2 brand new catfish rigs..Woohoo Thanks all who helped out!

17. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    now maybe i'm out of touch here but when i was stationed in MO in the late 80's early 90's i fished below bagnell a lot and the baitshops there sold a lot of surf rods with really short handles and the boaters used them to motor up to the yellow line and then cast up to the dam (100yds). so i'm wondering do they still do that and if so do the shops still sell those rods?

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I think you,re gonna be happy Tim.I didn,t know you was gonna be casting that much weight.The Sturdystiks are strong,but they got a soft action and don,t seem to like the heavier weights.The nite stiks on the other hand,fish a lot heavier than their rated.

19. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Tim I dont think you will be dissappointed with the nitestiks. I bought 3 of the MH 8' a couple weeks ago from Gander mountain for $83, I got shakespere Arsenals with 80LB PP and 6oz weights. I do alot of bank fishing and they cast and handle great. Also if you decide to get more Ming Yangs hit ebay up. I got a CL70 and a CZH60 for $83 shipped. The CL70 was $37, $43 shipped and the CZH60 was $34, $40 shipped. Good luck with your setups im sure you can get your new PB in easy with those setups

20. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well I am really excited to get them in hand...Took me a whole week to decide on what to get..I think I made the right decision..Especially for the money! Thanks again to all of you for your input!