Help on river rig

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by whiskerbattler, Apr 30, 2007.

1. whiskerbattler

whiskerbattler New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok guys need help here never fished river much but i got the poles now and need so advice on how to rig up. What size line sinker hook and how to rig any and all help is appreciated.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im sorry but need little more info. what type rods, reels,and what size rivers you will be fishing.bank or boat.

3. whiskerbattler

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry for lack of info. I have a 14 surf and 2 9ft surf and a stiff 7 footer. Fishing mainly below Keystone dam or anywhere else I can but mainly there and below oolagah and fishing from the bank. Thanks

4. jamrens

jamrens New Member

State:
    rome, georgia
    i started cat fishing lastyear with some tiger spins from walmart they did me good, but for line i am hooked on red cajun i love the stuff, hooks i use kaled chrome eagle claws that you can get from coyote corner

WHit

5. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    River fishing? HEAVY line BIG bait and CIRCLE hooks, need I say more.

6. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what wayne j said

7. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    might add some no roll sinkers to that list.

8. whiskerbattler

State:
    Oklahoma
    so what is the best way to rig up the big line no-roll sinker??? and big bait to best fish the river. What I mean i guess is presentation how to rig sinker and hook Please help

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    There's different rigs depending on where your fishing and the river conditions. The fishing below Keystone dam has lots of rocks where rigs get snagged, especially when there's lot of water being released from the dam. The stronger the current typically you want a shorter leader for less hangups. The boulders below Keystone without any current can still hang up your line quite a bit, unless your farther downstream away from the riprap and on sandy silt areas this would be the same for fishing below Oolagah also. When there's strong current I would try using this to save your rigs . http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38857. When there not letting a lot of current a heavy duty slip bobber can be the way to go. Fishing where there's mostly sand, silt and mud a traditional carolina rig works great. Hook, leader, swivel and a no roll slip sinker above your swivel. A good twenty pound test is a good compromise, more rocks and structure the more you want a heavy test line for abrasion resistance. I personally don't like using anything over 30 pound mono for line tying and castability. You can also go with a braided superline 60 lb or better and use a mono leader 20 to 40 pounds. Experiment and find out what works best for you.

10. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Brandon, I agree with Chris on the slip float rig. I have been fishing below Keystone since it was built. There are a lot of folks that don't mind losing their sinkers,but I do.It's just easier to fish a slip float rig.If you are going to fish Keystone PM me and I will meet you there and give you some ideas on different rigs to use.I live about 10 minutes from the dam. Allen

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would highly recommend you contact Tiny, who is a member of the B.O.C.. He probably knows more about fishing at Keystone than most.