Help on Mercruiser 140

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by colten, Oct 12, 2006.

1. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 1982 Mercruiser inboard that broke down. We were driving in the water when the propeller just quit. The motor will rev up, but the boat will not go. What should I take apart first, the whole outdrive or just the bottom half. I do not know where to start.:0a35:

2. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    if you put the outdrive in gear,can you spin the prop with your hand??

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    id start with the prop to see if there is any thing wrong with the lower shaft or the prop key

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It could be the coupler at the rear of the engine, centered in the flywheel. They're built like a prop hub, spline shaft inside of a hard rubber, inside of a metal housing, bolted to the flywheel.

The outdrive needs to come off, so check it when you remove it, or just put it in gear and see what happens.

Couplers are easy to change, pulling the engine is a bit of a problem though.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Hey Bob, do you think he may have spun the center hub out of the prop ?:roll_eyes: Maybe if he's lucky:confused2:

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Putting it in gear and trying it is the only way for him to find out.

Watch your shift linkage as you move the control lever. Take notice of what's going on as it's moved. You've got two shift cables involved. From the control box to the linkage at the engine, and from the engine to the outdrive.

Just do a good visual inspection before tearing anything down.

If your lucky, it'll just be the prop spun.

7. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey bob can the coupler be repaired or does it have to be replaced?easy to find?thx

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The coupler has to be replaced. It's about a half hr job, but it's a 4 1/2 hour job pulling and replacing the engine to do it. The out drive needs to come off too.

We just got done doing one at the shop on an older style boat that didn't cover up the engine with deck.

If you can see behind the engine when It's running, you can tell if the drive is turning or not. Some boats it's impossible to see.

9. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Thank all of you for the info. I will have to go and see if the prop turns or not when it is in gear.

10. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I checked the prop and I can turn it while it is in drive. It is stiff, but it does turn. I used to be able to hear when the engine would shift into gear. Now I don't hear when it shifts. I did notice that the drive shaft was turning. When I put it in reverse, the prop spins freely. No resistance at all. Any ideas?

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Can't say for sure, but from your explanation, it's not going in gear.

Get some help checking the shifting. Get someone to turn the prop while you put it in gear, forward/reverse. Engine not running.

12. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I have this same exact engine, year and all on a 82 Rinker runabout. Believe it or not, I had almost the same problem. For me it was the cable that came loose. I could put it in foward, but could not pull it out. The foward cable was pushing, but since it was not attached it was not pulling it out of gear. The cable then came out all the way and it would do nothing, besides rev up. In other words, check your shift cables. If their not working, have fun, because I had a heck of a time adjusting them after reconnecting. I was on the water when mine broke and cruising at about 40mph. Went to power down and nothing. Wasn't a good feeling. I turned the key off. Luckily I wasn't heading for the boat trailer or I may of dry docked it.

13. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    In neutral, the prop spins freely. It will go into gear when the engine is off because the prop doesn't spin freely. When I turn the prop while it is in gear, it makes a popping noise and will turn by hand one way. When I turn it the other way it makes a noise like rubber slipping on the shaft. When I look at the shaft, it turns with the prop. When I have the motor running, I cannot hear the drive kick into gear like before. I am getting stumped on what is wrong. Any help would be appreciated.:confused2:

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take your prop to a prop shop for examination.

15. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Thank you. I will try that.

16. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you need a gear puller to get the prop off? I took off the nut and noticed that it was hard to get off. I am new to boats and uneducated.:big_smile:

17. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    If you have Alpha1 out drive, It should slide off easy if it was lubed correctly.

18. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    It is a Mercruiser 140 Pre Alpha.