Help on Kerr Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigblaze, Nov 21, 2007.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    hey fellas thinking about heading to kerr lake friday...never been but i heard there are some big blues....

any advice on where to go would be greatly appreciated...not sure about boat ramps either...with the drought and all....

All fish will be cpre'd

thanks, john...

2. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    I haven't been in a while. I would guess from buoy 13 (Goat Island) to 5 should be good. For sure no problem putting in at Occoneechee which is at buoy 19.

Jerry

3. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    bigblaze,you can put in at ivyhill the cats are from there to the dam. hey jerry nice cat how many more? 1bigblue:cool2: (I had this sign first) :smile2:

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    put in at Ivy hill...(nice ramp) (thanks 1bigblue) weather seemed like it was going to be good but then the winds kicked up and it was over...we struggled to catch bait...

wind was crazy must have been gusting over 40 mph....the whole freaking lake was white capping...

marked allot of fish especially in butchers creek but not takers....

i like that lake...just have to learn to fish it...

5. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    John...thanks for the rep...

Jerry

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Jerry,
    thanks for the info...

7. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    John thanks for the rep.I left you a pm.jerry did you put that little cat back lol 1bigblue:cool2:

8. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    We put all the fish back to dance another day!!

:cool2:

Jerry

9. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    whats the name of the dance? the last tango?haha 1bigblue:cool2:

10. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Na....nothing fancy......just the 2 step.....lol

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    When I first got my boat, I would go half the time to Kerr. Fished around Bluestone and Buffalo this summer to near the convergenge of the two rivers. I couldn't seem to find the cats on Kerr. You'll love this Barry - I've been hitting them Tidal cats exclusively since summer! Gotta love them tidal cats!:smile2:

One day I will make my way back to Kerr.

Do you drift or anchor up? Fish the bottom or up off the bottom? I think I read that crappie is the ticket on Buggs. What's the best method of catching crappie and where can they be found?

Appreciate the help!

12. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    did tidal cats in the early 90's,no challenge with a tidal cat :smile2: drift and the bottom,and yes the crappie is the bait of choice with me 1bigblue:sad2:

13. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Hey Josh.....since Barry thinks there is no challenge to fishing the James....I think he should come on down to the James and show us what he can catch. Come on Barry show us what you got.....man!!!

Jerry

14. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    jerry you went on capt whose boat?don't have time,but YOU can come down to buggs sunday and i;ll show YOU what I got.I dance the GIG.fish on 1bigblue:cool2:

15. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Barry....not talking about the lake.....even while fishing with you at Buggs you've said that many times.....No challenge with a tidal cat......I just think the river is more difficult and not being smart...... I would really like to see what you could do on the James......

I'm off Friday let's go

Jerry

16. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i hear ya,can't go friday got step mother and brother in law comeing in.fishing buggs sunday.heck we can go sometime this winter.the 90's weren't a total BLURRRRRRRRRR.lets plan one in jan 1bigblue:cool2:

17. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'm gonna plan a trip to Buggs real soon and try some crappie fishing. Heard the bite is ON.

18. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    josh the crappie bite is on down here. after you catch about 20 of them you need to go to cutting them up and do some catfishingthats the bait of choice. Jerry wheres your reply? don't woory I can teach just about anyone how to catch a fish,are you about ready to learn? 1bigblue:cool2:

19. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    Hey
    1bigblue if you can teach anyone to fish, I am very eager to learn the james or buggs and any help would go appreciated .I just bought a 16ft jon and as soon as i reseal the lower unit,I am fishing.If interested give me a shout.:smile2:

20. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bronco67,I haven't fished the james for cats for about 14 years.I fish buggs at least once a week. let me know when your wanting to go or drop me a pm and we'll swap phone numbers and I'll try to help you all I can 1bigblue:cool2: