Help on Fish Identification

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by I_try, Apr 1, 2006.

1. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    I was fishing from the bank at the cypress creek park in perry county on friday evening and caught two fish that i think were buffaloe or drums, ive never caught them so i wasnt sure what they looked like but i came home and looked it up online and they didnt really look like anything.

Were about 2 lbs, 15-18 inches long white all along the belly and near the tail, around the head were kind of a rainbow of colors, it changed from green to purplish colors as the sun hit it different. Had a normal mouth not like a carp, and a large head like it rammed things. threw them back, didnt know if good to eat or not, any info would be nice, thanks.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If it looked like this, it was a bighead Carp. Never throw them back. Kill them and then throw them back. They are slowly destroying the river systems.

3. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    need 3 more posts to view pic

4. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    2 more posts till i can

5. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    sorry, had to see the pic

6. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    yeah i believe that was it, the head had a little more of a hump to it but thats the closest looking pic ive seen, how are they destroying the river systems?

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bighead carp are easy to identify by the eyes, which are set much lower in the 'face' than other fish. Just look at the photo.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Bighead Carp eat zoa plankton at an alarming rate. It is that plankton that the shad eat to survive. It is also what the fry (baby fish) of all other fish feed on during the first few weeks of life to survive. Therefore no plankton, No fry, or shad to to feed the larger fish either!!!

9. ftlstrings

ftlstrings New Member

State:
    MIssouri
    I have heard that those foreign carp are a bit tastier than the carp we are used to...

~M~

10. ftlstrings

ftlstrings New Member

State:
    MIssouri
    To us and to the blues.

~M~

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC, Mike!!! I hope you enjoy your new catfishing Home!!!