Help on Depth/Fish Finder

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by catfish1969, Jan 28, 2006.

1. catfish1969

catfish1969 New Member

State:
    ILL.
    I am trying to decide between Hummingbird and Lowrance I am Looking at the Hummingbird 737 with speed or The Lowrance X135 with Temp and Speed I am trying get some input from others the price range is 350 to 450 I have been around both brands I know there is a lot of personal perfance I want something good and dependable I have heard Lowrance has better sonar in some cases. any advice????? Thanks

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Catfish1969, either one of them will probably do a great job. i would like mine to have the speed and temp, but it doesn't. Check each unit and see what is the peak watt on the output. I hear that the more watts there is the more accurate the unit will be. Just my two cents worth. Vern

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Man, If I was buying one I would definetly go with the X135. I have seen them in use and they show structure very well. It has 4000watts of peak to peak power and also shows good arches. The Lowrance units are tough to beat, I know the hummingbirds in the past were very problemmatic. Good luck.

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Both units are very good but I lean more towards Lowrance, Humminbird has come a long way in the past years, I have a Matrix 67 on my boat along with the Lowrance and there are real differences in the 2 units, when I look at buying a new unit I look for the maximum amount of pixels and power to the unit, those are the two things that will paint the picture on the screen for you, I'm not much of a bells and whistle man, just want to mark structure and fish and I want to know what kind of structure hard or soft. Transducers of the Lowrance are shaped like a bullet and cut thru the water with very little scrambling of the signal.
    My son owns the X135 and I was real impressed with the unit, the night inverse is really cool as it will show the fish up in white, which makes it real easy to see.
    Large screens are good for those of us that are challenged with our vision.
    I have advised several people on this board to purchase the Lowrance products and to my knowledge they are not dissappointed with Lowrance.
    Setting up the transducer on a boat is the one most important parts of the installation process, if done wrong your eyes to the underwater world will be only half open.
    Lowrance has the Emulators on there site, you can download the program and try the unit out to see all the functions of that unit which is like a tutorial of the unit.
    Time on the water is the best teacher, plenty of us on this board have a lot of experience and can shorten the learning curve for you, I am always willing to help anybody with electronics, love messing around with the things, good luck with your choice...........Doc

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have a lowrance unit and love it. Go with the lowrance. Mine is the 320 unit with temp and gps. Which give you speed. Lower on watts of power but still does everything a person wants.

6. catfish1969

catfish1969 New Member

State:
    ILL.
    Thanks Guys, It sounds like the Lowarance is the way to go...

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    In your price range, you can get a lot more fish finder if you buy an Eagle - it's essentially the same as Lowrance, made in the same factory, etc.

$349 will buy you the Fish Elite 480 with GPS and fish finder. For about the same price, you can buy the Fish Mark 500C which is a color fish finder.

The only real difference I can find is that the Lowrance units have more power than Eagle. But I'm not sure that's important unless you fish really deep water (as in hundreds of feet).

I have the Fish Elite 480 and got to use it today for the first time. It's amazing what's under the water once you have a good fish finder... And the GPS is just plain cool, especially when coupled with an "enhanced" lake map that shows depth contours.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Not to beat a dead horse to death but I have advocated the Lowrance/Eagle finders many times on the BOC.Their website is awesome offering emulators and free software upgrades and excellent tutorials.POWER/PIXELS are the two primary considerations.I can own any unit out there and remain a Lowrance man.They absolutely always stand behind their product.They have a new transducer coming out also and their new data link system is great so you can display many gauges and functions on one screen.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i really cant add anymore then been said they are both good depth finders i love lowrance for the money you get the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

10. shadow

shadow New Member

Love my Garmin 250.

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I just bought my X135 last year. I bought mine because of the pixels. I haven't learned to use it properly yet, but I know of a guy that defected from Ohio to Kentucky that uses his to pick out fish, and catch them. This year (2006) he has caught a 25, 35, 65, 75+, his son has gotten a 54, and his boating partner has some hogs too. Of course when I mad the sojourn to fish with him, his motor busted and I had to paddle. I am talking about Eric Simcox (Deerhunter) I would pm him for more particular information, but I'm sold.

PS Be careful DH wears a pink TuTu and thong.