Help On Catching Flathead Catfish In The Wabash River

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by pete n cat, May 9, 2006.

1. pete n cat

pete n cat New Member

State:
    il.
    HEY I JUST JOINED, AND IM LOOKING
    FOR SOME HELP ON WHAT IS GOOD BAIT FOR FLAT HEADS IN THE WABASH RIVER IN INDIANA.
    I MADE A BIG MOVE FROM MA. WHERE I ONLY SALT WATER FISHED. AND NOW I LIKE TO CATCH SOME BIG FL. HEADS.
    I TRIED WORMS AND MINNOWS. ON A ROD AND REEL.
    THANKS PETE N CAT :0a36:

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Welcome bro. I fish the wabash in indiana. Try some big live bait. Bluegill,chubs,shad. Anything live. Tons of info on this site just read around.

3. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Welcome to the B.O.C.

BIGCAT GarryEads:big_smile:

4. pete n cat

pete n cat New Member

State:
    il.
    thank's for the helpful hints.
    i'll try the blue gill's and shad.
    does shad guts work .
    I live in IL. and go to the wabash river,
    around terra haute IN.

5. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    mature flatheads prefer live bait

6. pete n cat

pete n cat New Member

State:
    il.
    thank's baitfish,
    I know the best time to fish is at night,
    how about , water temp and water current.
    the place i go is on a small bend and has a rock and sand bar , last year i went when the water was down.
    i only got a small flat in brod day light. w/ a worm. the flat was about 3.5 lbs

thank's agian

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Pete n cat, and Welcome to the B.O.C. Shortbus and Baitfish were right on Live bait. I would use a slip sinker rig and depending on how swift the river runs a 3 to 6 ounce no roll weight. I myself perfer to use a kahle style hook but there are several different thoughs on hook style. Also make sure your hooks are sharp. Alot of us prefer a bait casting reel with a bait clicker as to let the fish pick the bait up and start moving off with it. I would recomend Berkley big game line in the 30 to 50 pound range, and a good m/h rod. I wouldent want to be cought short with light tackel cause them big cats like to give you a run for your money. And also be patient it take some times just a little while to learn there habits and where they will be at certain times during the year. pre spawn-spawn, post spawn. water temp, weather. Ect. but there is a wealth of information here at the B.O.C. and the folks are willing to share it with you. Keep us posted, and good luck and put the big ones back after you take some pictures of course. Bigcatman0816.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome Pete, good luck with the flat hunting. To me it is more like hunting and stalking than just fishing. the big ones are saivy to a lot tricks that smaller ones fall for. use live bait and hold on tight. Its a good ole river.

9. pete n cat

pete n cat New Member

State:
    il.
    :0a24: thank's for all the info guy's. i'll try to get the big one.
    and yes it will be put back .in the water for another day . i catch and release.all big game fish.

i cant wait to get out there and try 4 the monster, in my dreams.

HEY WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL I HERE ABOUT BANK POLES.
    THEY LEAVE THEM OVER NIGHT THEN CHECK THEM NEXT DAY.
    IS THAT LEAGL,
    IN INDIANA