Help on bream for bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by chillywater, Sep 6, 2007.

1. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    what is the best way to use live bream for bait. should they be hooked through the back for trotline and limbline use.

can you use them for tight line, and if see any issue with them pulling your line around.

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok i will try and help as much as i can. with limblines you can hook them right behiund the dorsal fin, but make sure you dont hit the spine, that will kill them. it will still work, but not as well. you can tight line them if you would like, but i have found it better to use them on a 3 way rig, that way they can still swim around. make sure you use enough wieght to keep them from dragging it around. also you can inprove your chances by wounding the little guys a little. alot of people will cut the fins oof of one side, making the bait swim in circles. people will trim down the tail and fins and scrape the gills a little to make them bleed, thus attracting the big old kittes. i have used like bluegill and cut bluegill, both with good results.

3. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the help. i will give them a try on the trotline first and see how it works.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    good luck and let us know how they work out for you.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hook them right thru the eyes. Harder for a fish to get them off and doesnt seem to kill them. Good luck to you.