Help on a new Yak!

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by SkiMax, Feb 19, 2009.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I just sold my boat yesterday. It was sad to see it go but I'm thinking about taking some of the money for a new yak. I want to spend less that 1000 but right around there would be ok. I fish the rez's out here in the Denver area and they aren't too big. 1000 acres is huge. any help from you experienced guys would be appreciated!

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    We would be more than glad to help you. You have to realize, though, that most of us swear by the only brand of kayak we have ever owned!

It's not too unlike Chevy vs. Ford truck fans...they squabble until a Dodge driver pulls up, then they unite against him!

Anyway, I was able to find a great deal on a Heritage Redfish 12' Angler. The key was a boat demo day; I received a special deal for buying on the spot, after getting to try as many different makes and models as I wanted. You can't beat an arrangement like this.

IT BEARS REPEATING: never buy a kayak that you have never paddled.

Anyway, I was able to get a package deal from kayakfishingstuff that included a great fishing PFD, carbon paddle, and kayak cart (a must-have). In fact, my entire fishing outfit (minus rods and tackle) came in under $1,100, and this even included a kayak cover.

You can check out Heritage products here: http://www.heritagekayaks.com/. Click on the "6" by the "Images" on my post header to see some pictures of my kayak.

Have fun shopping!

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 that I really like alot, I am 6'4" and it fits me pretty well. I would second the try before you buy idea, I didnt when I bought mine but I also researched kayaks for about 6 months like it was my job:smile2:. I havent caught alot of fish in mine but I think I will try more this summer, it's just hard leaving a comfortable 20' jon boat sitting in the garage to sit on a piece of plastic....

Good luck with whatever you get

Bill

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I have a liquidlogic manta ray 14.5. Its super stable and supper dry. Unfortunately I was unable to paddle before I bought, due to where I live. So I just read a bunch of reviews and the manta rays seemed to be a good boat. Liquidlogic no longer makes the manta rays. Native kayaks make them now. I bought mine on the internet from paddleva.com. They carry the native redfish, wilderness systems tarpon, and native manta rays. Those are all good fishing kayaks. My next kayak will probably be the RTM Disco. Its narrower and faster, but less stable. Its just under $600. The kayak I really want is about 3 times more $$ than that, but it will have to wait.

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Max, i have a cobra fish and dive. I like the width and stability. Try to rent one for a day to have an experience on the water all day. All rentals will pay for themselves in the long run. Good luck! Mike

6. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I'm a Malibu guy myself but as Jeremiad said it is kind of like the Ford vs Chevy thing. I also agree paddle a few different ones if you can or at least look at them in person to get a feel for quality. Ask yourself if you really need a super stable boat or one that paddles easier. Heavy wide boats are very stable but take lots of energy to paddle. A slimmer one will get you there with less effort but you lose some stability.
    I read an article that said most people worry too much about stability on their first one then pick something more sleek after they realize how stable even the narrower boats are.
    Anyway here is a link to my next boat.

http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_x13.asp

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Max, I guess i need to add I fish in reclaimed water with my kayak in Hawaii at one lake which they do not allow swimming, thus my thoughts on stability of my yak, there is a wastewater treatment lake on one section of lake.

8. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    A lot of great kayaks have been mentioned here. I would also suggest you take a look at the Native Ultimate hybrid kayak/canoe. It is an outstanding craft, and would have been my choice except the Heritage Redfish came loaded ready to fish and cost much less at the time.

I think kayakfishingstuff has the greatest resources available for researching various kayak makes and models. Check them out (it will require poking around a bit).

Also look into the kayak manufacturer itself. Are kayaks being made next to pool toys and watertight storage boxes? Are fishing kayaks in the back department behind whitewater river runners or surf kayaks? You'll know this by looking at their product line and web pages. You can't go wrong matching the company and their kayak with the fishing that you are going to be doing.

9. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Some great info on here!

One of the keys to choosing a fishing kayak is your body size i.e. weight and height. It is hard to make a recommendation without knowing that!

Brand is a preference, I have owned ocean kayaks, and wilderness systems, both make great boats!

If you are going for comfort, the naitive boats, are hard to beat! I personally would not buy an ultimate because it does not have scupper holes. I have seen several anglers go in the drink because of this! Not how I like to spend my fishing time!

I currently own a wilderness ride 135 and an 09 tarpon. If I could only keep one yak, it would be my ride 135, very versatile kayak, stable, decent speed, roomy and comfortable.

Good luck!

10. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i have a ocean kayak prowler 12 ft and i like it caught a ton of fish from it . but my buddy has a manta ray 14.5 and it is way better than mine. dryer,faster,and a lot more comfortable than my yak. plus he got it cheaper and the throw in a paddel. my next boat will most def be a manta ray.....thanks justin

11. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Well, I was just looking around at kayak prices, and to be honest (sorry to whine), I think all of them are about $200 or so over-priced! :beat_brick:

The very kayak model that I bought for under $650 is now selling (model unchanged) for around $850 or so for the lowest price that I can find. The only thing that I can figure is that there is increasing demand for fishing craft.

Oh well, I figured that kayaking was one way a fisherman could get on the water rather inexpensively. This benefit is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio

That is what I have. It is more like a kayak/canoe hybrid but it is much better than most canoes or kayaks. I can stand up and fish in mine with no issue. I stand and pole, stand and flyfish/bass fish etc with not problems. You could not find more comfortable seats in a kayak. I have tried to tip mine and can't. If you buy the optional skirts it basically takes away any of the disadvantages of being canoe shaped. If your looking for a strict kayak then this might not be right, but if your looking for the ultimate in hand powered fishing machines this is the ticket!

13. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

You can still find them in the 650 range, they just might be last years leftovers. Just do a little searching on the web.

Here is one websites prices of clearance yaks.
    FISHING & RECREATIONAL KAYAKS

2007 JACKSON MINI TRIPPER $325
    2007 JACKSON DAY TRIPPER 12 $499
    2008 "DEMO" NATIVE WATERCRAFT MANTA RAY 12 $650
    2008 "DEMO" NATIVE WATERCRAFT MANTA RAY 14 $675
    2008 "DEMO" NATIVE WATERCRAFT MAGIC 12 $675
    2008 "DEMO" NATIVE WATERCRAFT MAGIC 14.5 SOLO $800
    2008 "DEMO" NATIVE WATERCRAFT ULTIMATE 12 $675
    2008 "DEMO" NATIVE WATERCRAFT PROPEL 12 $1500
    2008 "DEMO" NATIVE WATERCRAFT PROPEL 14.5 $1550
    2009 DEMO NATIVE WATERCRAFT VOLT 12 $1500
    2009 DEMO NATIVE WATERCRAFT VOLT 14.5 $1550
    2008 & 2007 NECKY MANITOU 13 $625
    2008 & 2007 NECKY MANITOU 14 $700
    2008 OLD TOWN ADVENTURE 125 $600
    2008 OLD TOWN ADVENTURE 139 $650
    2008 OLD TOWN CAYUGA 130 $600
    2008 OLD TOWN CAYUGA 146 $650
    2008 OLD TOWN CAYUGA 110 $550
    2008 OLD TOWN DIRIGO 106 $525
    2008 OLD TOWN DIRIGO 120 $575
    2008 OLD TOWN DIRIGO 140 $675
    2008 WILDERNESS SYSTEMS TARPON 120 $650
    2008 WILDERNESS SYSTEMS TARPON 100 $475
    2008 WILDERNESS SYSTEMS RIDE 135 $675
    2007 WILDERNESS SYSTEMS PAMLICO 100 $300
    2008 WILDERNESS SYSTEMS PUNGO 100 $500
    2008 WILDERNESS SYSTEMS PUNG 140 $650
    2008 WILDERNESS SYSYEMS TARPON 160i $675
    2007 WILDENESS SYSTEMS TSUNAMI 120 or 125 $675
    2008 HERITAGE REDFISH 14 $650
    2008 HERITAGE REDFISH 12 $600
    2007 DAGGER ELEMENT 10.0 BRAND NEW $399
    2007 DAGGER BLACKWATER 12.0 BRAND NEW $599
    2006 WILDERNESS SYSTEMS PUNGO 140 DURALITE $750
    LIQUID LOGIC TRYON $429
    LIQUID LOGIC STINGRAY 14 $450
    LIQUID LOGIC SAPPHIRE $389

14. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Interesting comments!

Kayaking is a great way to get out on the water without breaking the bank!

The price of the kayak is just one thing to consider! With the purchase of a new yak, paddle, PFD, plus a few rod holders and extras, you will look to spend 1000 bucks or more depending on your purchases. A bargain in my opinion! With the yak, you don't have to budget for gas, storage, maintenance , insurance, ummmmm massive depreciation during the first year that a power boat will give you....etc!

With the current economy there are some great deals out there on kayaks! Its a great time to buy a fun and economical way to get out on the water, the fishing kayak!

15. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I am about 5'8'', 5'9'' on a good day! :) and 170 pounds

16. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    You are an ideal weight and height for just about any kayak in the 12' range or longer.

You'll find fishing kayaks typically in the 12' to 14' range. Since both fishing crafts are so wide for stability reasons, I ignore the banter about tracking versus manueverability--both are "barges." There are differences in stability among brands, however, so pay attention to the width factor; some kayaks are indeed better trackers while some are more stable (initial stability only). I find that initial stability important for fishing more than die-hard kayakers would imply (I don't prefer jiggling all over the place with a fish on); but the price is paid when paddling long distances.

The primary trade-off between 12' and 14' kayaks is between weight/handling and roominess. Big guys need a bigger yak; a person of your size will be comfortable in a 12'. The advantage in the shorter yak is slightly lighter craft weight (not that much of a difference, actually, but every pound above 50 matters when you're car-topping), and ease of loading/unloading from the car-top.

Because I have a 12' kayak, it fits snugly on my Subaru Forester roof without having to run tie-downs over the hood; in fact, I can travel a hundred miles with no more than two wide ratchet-down straps crossed through the kayak handles in a criss-cross fashion, and that without any slippage. I can also load and unload the kayak easily by myself. Don't forget these important factors, too! :wink:

17. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

you only use 2!:eek:oooh: I tie mine down with enough straps that if I drove under a low bridge and my kayak caught the bridge it would probably stop my truck.:smile2: I use 5 to 6 wratchet straps. Thats over kill I'm sure, but why chance it?

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That reminds me of a buddy of mine, an older guy, that wanted a doe.

I met him at my camp, set him up, and wished him luck. Late that afternoon he called, said he had a deer, and needed help.

When we got there, he had this poor little doe with half of her side blown away, hanging in a big oak. Spreadeagled. With two comealongs.:smile2:

19. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would always suggest using Bow and Stern tiedowns exepcially for highway trips. You have to remember the time when your yak flies off the roof it is not as much your problem as the guy driving behind you. Usually the roof rack will keep a kayak in place and the bow and stern takes the lifting pressure off the roof or roof rack and puts it on the frame of the car.

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Having hauled my canoe all over the country on top of trucks, I have to agree with this. The bow line is the most critical, the stern, not so much.