Help newbe spinning reel\rod combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by carpdoctor, Aug 29, 2007.

1. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just found this great side and really enjoy all the posts. I haven't done any fising in about 8 years. I recently moved about two miles away from the river that is full of channel cats. ( per the local community bar expert) I would like to get a couple spinning reel\ rod combos. I was looking at the cabelas combos and it is quite over whelming. I really don't know how stiff of a rod to get ( as a man I hated to make that last statemnet on a public forum). So what is a good combo in the $ 80 or $90 price range. I also read alot about the cajun red line. Is a good way to go? I would guess in the #20 range.

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    welcome to the BOC chris, i hope you find theinfo you need, this a great site, if you cant find it here it prob cant be found.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC!

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC, Chris. If all you are after is channels you can probably find a good combo for less than that(try catfish connection or even Wal-mart), but if you want big blues or flatheads get some heavy equipment. Keep looking around here and you'll find all the info you need.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have fished for over 50 years in sweet water,brackish water and saltwater.I am sure that I do not know far more than I do know about fishing or anything else for that matter.Any time that I have gone to something or someplace different,I look for locals.I explain.I ask to watch and to learn.Many are glad to help others.Go to your state on the BOC.You may find someone experienced in your area that will help.I don;t know what kind of fishing or equipment that you did or used.Cain't offer any help.I would go cheap until I found out that I was going to stick with it.I channel cat fished Georgia rivers and light saltwater fished with Zebco 808-888's for many years.Never targeted large fish but caught sharks to 4 feet on them with the help of a boat.Also fished with open faced spinning reels and Penn non level wind.I have had level wind Penns for Kids and guest.I never remember personally fishing with one of them.Recently passed the Zebco reels on to my sons.30+ years old.Keep us informed of how things work out.We are all learning too.You are family now.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    welcome to the boc. i use the cajun advantage 20 pd on my rods
    and it works great. enjoy the site.

7. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a lot of heavy flathead gear. Heavy rods with penn reels, way to heavy to be fun on channels. We mostly fish ditty poles for flats. I guess I should of been more clear. My wife wants for us to do more together and she loves to fish, so that is the sudden interest in channel cats at the local river. She doesn't care much for the stay out all night ditty pole fishing. I just want a couple of decent spinning rod setups. I haven't messed with rod/reel fishing in so may years and there r tons of new reels to choose from.

8. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i have a shakespeare alpha combo i bought from cabelas about 6 years ago that still works pretty well. i believe it cost about 50 bucks. i dont know if cabelas still has them but i have seen similar combos at walmart.

thanks

9. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Just my opinion, but I say go to walwart and buy a rod and reel combo there. It certainly won't be anything top of the line but it will certainly catch the channels for you. I recently got my girlfriend's dad interested in fishing and just bought him his first rod and reel. It's nothing special, just a spinning shaeksphere combo with 12 lb. line on it. Bought it for 20 bucks at wally world, it will catch the channel cats just fine.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You could go to K-mart or wal-mart and buy yourself a cheap combo. Just about anything with a medium heavy rating and a reel that can hold at least 12lb line will probably suffice for most channels. You can get yourself a Shimano spinning reel the nicer one's start off at around $40 dollars but cheaper one can be had. Maybe get yourself a Berkley Big game rod and a Shimano Sedona reel should run you about $70 and spool it with some quality line and i think you will do fine. There are tons of combos and rods and reels you can try take yourself to your local sporting goods store and give them a try. The smaller bait and tackle shops usually give good advice. I see by your screen name you use carp doctor maybe you lighter carp fishing equipment will do the job.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Chris, Welcome to the site. You will get a lot of responses to your question. I would recommend an Okuma Avenger ABF. I have one of these and I think they are excellent and well worth the money. The reel has a bait feeder that is easy to hear. I have caught cats up to 42# on it with no problem from this outfit.

12. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks a lot neo. That is what I was looking for. Specific rod\reel combos that I can look at and hear about others success with them. I assume u have the largest of the three models.

13. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would say, it is all depends on what you want to spend. I have a berkely fusion combo from walmart $25 already spooled with 25# mono. I have a 7' one piece medium-heavy uglystick catfish with a cabelas salt striker 65 on it about $80. I like the uglystik and salt striker, but I have only been catfishin for a year and have just recently got the salt striker reel. You can get something from $20 - the sky is the limit. I believe you get what you pay for. I would get something around the $25 combo first. You can go from there and then you have a backup or a loaner for friends/family.

14. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Actually, I only have the ABF-65. They make a larger model, the ABF-80. Same price I believe.

15. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome aboard. There's no shortage of good info here.
    I use the 8-ft MH Shakespeare Catfish series rods (available at Wal-mart for about $30) with the Okuma Avenger AB40 spinning reels. These have the baitfeeder feature that's real handy when fishing with live bait. They have an excellent drag and cost about $45. Spool it with a base of 50 yards of 10-lb mono and then finish up with 20 or 30-lb PowerPro braid and you're set. PowerPro is rounder than other braids and doesn't dig into the spool. It casts a mile with only a little weight. I usually use 1/2 or 3/4-oz slip sinker with a bead on the main line tied to a heavy barrel swivel. From that I tie on a short (12 to 18-in) Berkley Big Game mono leader with a good circle hook. Good luck to you.

mike

16. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC

17. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. FROM ARKANSAS

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

19. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Welcome to BOC.

Check out the Tica ueha rods and Shimano baitrunner reels or the Lamiglas XS10MHS matched with a Quantam Cabo 50 spool with suffix performance braid.

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Without knowing that body of water ya might just want to go there and chat with the locals and see what they are using. I have folks doing that to me all the time. Hope this helps.