HELP; New To The Ohio River

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by catman47, Dec 21, 2008.

1. catman47

catman47 New Member

State:
    ky
    Hello, I am new to fishing the Ohio river.I need help with spots to fish.I have fished the backside of the Cannelton Dam,with some luck,but like to anchor down and enjoy the fishing and the river.I would like info on spots after I go down to the warm water spill way and get some skipjack for bait, where to fish below that. I only fish the catch and release method, I have grandkids that I am going to try to get hooked on fishing and someday fish together. If you can help , please do so. Thanks catman47 [James]

2. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Man theirs not a lot of activity on the KY board. I'm in KY, but in the Cincinnati area. You might get a more responses in the In or Oh forums. Best thing I can tell you is too get a good depth finder(if u dont have one) and look for fish in the obvious spots(outside bends, inside bends, visible structure, channel edges, humps, holes, eddies, creek mouths, etc...). Get ya some good live bait(skips or shad), get to one of the above mentioned spots, look for the fish on the finder and get ya some fish. Good luck!

3. catman47

catman47 New Member

State:
    ky
    Hey man, thanks for the reply. I will try the other forms. James

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    James, the eddy on the ky side of cannelton should be good in the winter months. The blues usually winter away from current in the deepest water they can find. If there are closed gates, the fishing should be good in deep water below them as well. Also the run just above the Hawesville bridge on the Kentucky side sometimes holds good fish. Don't underestimate the fishing above cannelton as well. You can launch out of cloverport city ramp or the clovercreek ramp. Bait is usually plentiful in clover creek. I like the bend above and the bend below cloverport, both have produced well for me and the channel is really deep. Vern

5. catman47

catman47 New Member

State:
    ky
    well i never thought about above the dam. i have only fished up there once. i live in bonnieville ky, and went up there with a buddy. i will give it a try, love those blues thanks

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good luck its a big ole river full of fish be safe .