Help! New reel Questions

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by baitboy, Jul 22, 2007.

1. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I need some help from you folks with buying a new Lever Drag reel. I am going to put this reel on a SURGE TROPHY ELITE MED HEAVY CASTING POLE. The three reels are a ABU GARCIA 7000LD, PENN 320LD, and a SHIMANO 1000LD CHARTER SPECIAL. The criteria is as follows……..reliability/durability #1, drag power #2, castability/smoothness #3 and stiffness/rigidness #4. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    any of thoes will work fine but being a penn man thats what id use.

3. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Welcome to the BOC from Alabama!!!!!! ABU GARCIA 7000LD

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Abu. I like the Penn too, you'll never have to buy another Penn if you get one, I just don't like the clicker, I think it's too hard for the fish to pull line out. I get a lot more drops on the Penn than my Abu's. Also my Abu's cast SOOOOOOOO much better than the Penn.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have the ABU and the Penn. They both will last a lifetime. The Penn is heavy. The Abu is the smoothest and will cast farther. Your answer is going to depend on where you want to use it. Boat or Bank. Go to a tackle shop and handle both for comparison and you will have a better idea. Good luck on your choice.:smile2:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have had the 2000 LD Charter Special mounted on a Power Plus Trophy Class heavy rod with 20 lb.mono for about 3 1/2 years now.I think it is about as close to as perfect a rig as there is.I went to Bass Pro and compared both reels side by side on the counter top with the American made Penn 320 LD.I also checked out the Abu Garcia 7000,9000 and 10,000's.I bought the Shimano.I believe their level wind,all stainless steel gearing and bearings are Superior.I would buy it again.I have used Penns for over 50 years.No complaints at all.I knew nothing about Shimano or Abu Garcia at the time.I still personally know nothing about Abu Garcia.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Russ welcome to the boc! I would choose the Abu!!!!

8. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I will be casting from shore 80% of the time but I want a rig to go after the monsters so I want a rig that has a good drag but can cast from shore.
    I went to Cabelas in Sidney NE and handled the Penn but as I am sure you know the Abu 7000LD is not easy to find.
    I have a 7000C3 I got on a combo w/10' Glowstick so I know how good the Abu's cast but I have never cast the LD Penn.

9. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info.
    So, you would buy the Charter Special over the Penn?

I handled the Penn and the Charter Special @ Cabelas in Sidney NE and the Charter Special seemed like it would cast better because it free wheeled more smoothly. But I wanted to know which one has the better drag?

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I not only would,I did buy the Charter Special 2000 LD over the Penn.I have used and cast both the the very large & small Penns most of my life.I am 62 and have sport and commercial fished fresh and salt water for over 50 years while working as a mechanic.I have never personally fished or cast for Largemouth Bass so I have no personal "hands on" experience with Abu Garcia casting reels.Zebco spincast reels for fresh water.Now that I am crippled up,I will never be able to put the Charter Special to the test that I have put my old Penn Longbeach through for many years.All Lever drag reels are more complex internally than Star Drag reels.They are not as easy to clean,lube,repair or even get parts for locally unless you live on the coast as they are uncommon inland.As for drag.I am going to read you from my Charter Special series instruction guide,page #11. "Shimano Saltwater Drags.Our quality standard is 100 miles of drag being pulled before noticeable deterioration in performance. So,you need not worry about rebuilding your drag probably forever. All Shimano saltwater conventional reels have drags that are either sealed from water,or are built of materials whose performance is unaffected by water." Hey! My Penn 345 GTI has a great Star drag! Like I said,they are known for their top of the line bearing quality in that price range reel.The Stainless Steel gears are rougher but far stronger than the Brass or Bronze gears that will "wear in"smoother.The levelwind is very strong and has a reputation for holding up better than Penn or Abu Garcia in that reel size according to the repairmen I have talked to.The lack of a levelwind is good in the 7000LD,but I now need a levelwind with my hands.Now I am assuming that the LD still does not have a levelwind.It did not in the past and I cannot even find it on the Abu Garcia site.Strange.Are they discontinuing it?Think it over.Check it all out.I am not trying to get you to buy or not to buy any reel.I will not tell anyone to buy so and so.I do not believe in doing that.I will tell you my reasons,thoughts,experience or lack of experience with something.YOU got to live with it.I would make "ME Happy"!Best of luck! Let us know what you do and how you like it.We are all learning too.Well most of us.There are a few that already know everything.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I not only would,I did buy the Charter Special 2000 LD over the Penn.I have used and cast both the the very large & small Penns most of my life.I am 62 and have sport and commercial fished fresh and salt water for over 50 years while working as a mechanic.I have never personally fished or cast for Largemouth Bass so I have no personal "hands on" experience with Abu Garcia casting reels.Zebco spincast reels for fresh water.Now that I am crippled up,I will never be able to put the Charter Special to the test that I have put my old Penn Longbeach through for many years.All Lever drag reels are more complex internally than Star Drag reels.They are not as easy to clean,lube,repair or even get parts for locally unless you live on the coast as they are uncommon inland.As for drag.I am going to read you from my Charter Special series instruction guide,page #11. "Shimano Saltwater Drags.Our quality standard is 100 miles of drag being pulled before noticeable deterioration in performance. So,you need not worry about rebuilding your drag probably forever. All Shimano saltwater conventional reels have drags that are either sealed from water,or are built of materials whose performance is unaffected by water." Hey! My Penn 345 GTI has a great Star drag! Like I said,they are known for their top of the line bearing quality in that price range reel.The Stainless Steel gears are rougher but far stronger than the Brass or Bronze gears that will "wear in"smoother.The levelwind is very strong and has a reputation for holding up better than Penn or Abu Garcia in that reel size according to the repairmen I have talked to.The lack of a levelwind is good in the 7000LD,but I now need a levelwind with my hands.Now I am assuming that the LD still does not have a levelwind.It did not in the past and I cannot even find it on the Abu Garcia site.Strange.Are they discontinuing it?Think it over.Check it all out.I am not trying to get you to buy or not to buy any reel.I will not tell anyone to buy so and so.I do not believe in doing that.I will tell you my reasons,thoughts,experience or lack of experience with something.YOU got to live with it.I would make "ME Happy"!Best of luck! Let us know what you do and how you like it.We are all learning too.Well most of us.There are a few that already know everything.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I tried to edit.And then to cancel post # 10.Can someone cancel POST #10 and then this post for me? Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    were in kansas are you i got a penn320ld that i use that you can see :eek:oooh: if your not too far away. if what your conserned is drag pflueger contender is the best combo of strength and smoooooth ive found. i only have the ld out of the gt series of penns and its strong and smooth id hope the gti gt2s are as smooth because the gtos drags arent as smooth but are strong.

14. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    The only saltwater reels i have used of of your list are the penns , used the abu 7000 for a good while before i purchased my 320 and learned how to cast it effectively , they are harder to control than the abu at first but once you learn the reel i don't recognize enough loss to mention as far as casting distance and a proper working HT100 drag is plenty smooth ang strong enough to where it's not a major differance in my book as a matter of fact if im cot mistaken the 320 has a bit more drag than the abu . Some one correct me if i am wrong .

15. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I live in Northwest KS and thanks for the offer.

16. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas