HELP, never snagged below Kaw Lake $.02 please

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by NRA_Guns_Winner, Mar 27, 2009.

1. NRA_Guns_Winner

NRA_Guns_Winner New Member

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    I lived just outside of Tulsa for the last few years, but have moved to Wichita. I hope to go snagging below Kaw lake next month a few times. It's a 100 mile drive, and wouldn't want to leave empty handed. I've snagged before, just below Ft. Gibson Dam. Never Kaw Lake. Any help from a fellow fisherman would be highly apprichated. Thanks

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jarrod. Someone from that area will come along and help you out.

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Kaw tailwaters are shallow and a lot of rocks and stuff to loose your rig on.....so take a lot of sinkers of different weights ..The river level can change from day to day .It could be 10 feet higher one day.

I like to move on down the river away from people and then you get some sand ...I have sold trebel hooks to some people when the river beats them out of supplies..No mark up..i get my trebbels from academy,,I should order on line ,,get them cheaper..

Take a nice pair of boots as it is sandy and grassy...keep the toes warm and dry..No wall like gibson...most is flat like down stream at gibson..No trees in the middle

4. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I only been to Kaw tailwater four times. Three of my trips there, I did catch my daily limit paddlefish but the last time I was there about one week ago I got skunked. It maybe take you all day to catch one or maybe some lucky people will catch many and release as they can till they catch the biggest one and kept in a day.. And on the west side at the 1000 feet mark is more shallow than on the east side, because I lost a lot of trebles and sinkers on the east side.

5. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    you might consider the salt fork south of Ponca City or south of Tonkawa where i got a 65 last year its a lot less crowded and awhole lot cleaner asfar as snags go

6. NRA_Guns_Winner

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Salt Fork? sounds good, some sort of location or directions would be nice, thanks. Jarrod

7. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    go 5 miles south of Ponca on 177 towards Stillwater to the river bridge or about 4 south of tonkawa on 77 hwy then back east 2 miles to th mouth of the Chikaskia

8. NRA_Guns_Winner

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Thanks I plan to head down in about two weeks, maybe this sunday, but I doubt I can make that happen. Anyway thanks again.

9. NRA_Guns_Winner

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Made it Miami this weekend, caught a few small ones, I'll post photos in a day or so. Waters down and not many being caught, but several 30-55 lb during the day.

10. NRA_Guns_Winner

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Well made it to Miami, OK. Not much action everyone said a few weeks ago the water was up more and more fish being caught. Well couldn't get photo uploaded.