Help needed!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Dave53, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have been a member of this forum for several years and have read a lot of threads. I think I have learned a lot from my brothers and sisters here but there is one thing that happen I did not know how to handle. My brother and I were on the Missouri River fishing on the side of a dike that had been blown out. We were using 4 to 5 inch shad for bait. I have 7 to 8 foot ugly sticks with 40 pound test on my open face reels. About 11:30 am one of my poles started down and I set the hook of a #7 Kayle hook. I have caught fish up to the 30 pound range (not over) but I have never hooked a fish I could not bring in. This fish ran out to the swift water and seemed to head for the bottom. There I would tug on him for several minutes and he would come in 10 or 20 feet only to turn and run back out into the swift water. After several minutes I would drag him back towards me and he would start stripping line out of my reel again and back to the swift water. Every now and then he would come up like he was coming in but then would turn and back to the swift water. For 15 minutes I could only get him in 10 or 20 feet and he would run back. After 15 minutes my heart sunk when the hook came loose as I sat in my chair like 265 pounds of jello. It took another 10 minutes or so before I could get another line back into the water. You guys that catch these large fish..what did I do wrong and how do you get these fish that large to come in?? I was leaning into that fish the intire 15 minutes and it was like draging a log! My brother kept yelling that my pole was going to break. Lord only knows how much this fish would have weighed but I was at a loss after 10 minutes on what to do to get him to come in. I could feel him shake his head as he would turn to run back into the current. I was amased at the strengh of this fish. Can any of you who have caught these brutes give me an idea of how to handle this if the Lord ever gives me another chance?

2. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dave53, I am no expert and only offer my opinion and experience. I think that sometimes you just lose them no matter what. That has happened to me more than once and in my opinion the hook just wasn't big enough. I'll never know but am convinced that the fish that I've lost like that were probably hooked through the skin of the mouth and not around the jaw and the hook tore out. I know that it is alot easier to land a big fish when you are right over it. It is almost impossible to drag one like that through the current. I wonder if a looser drag could have helped. Good luck next time. And if you keep fishing there will be a next time.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Try switching from the Kahles to a circle hook in the 8/0 range. Dont get discouraged cause everyone has lost big fish but at least you didnt have a terminal tackle failure cause that is something that you do have control over and that is majorily depressing. Kepp at them and you will lose some more fish but you will also catch more. Good luck.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dave, at least you got a hook in a monster and like James said, it wasn't lost due to something that would have REALLY aggravated you like a broken leader or a bad knot. Sometimes they just get away, no matter what you do.

Sounds like he was hooked in the corner of the mouth and the hook just tore out. Bad deal, but win some, lose some. Lighter drag might have helped some, but if they're just hooked in the skin it's dicey if you get them in no matter what you do. I haven't caught too many big ones, but I tend to let them take their time. If I have plenty of line I'll let them tire themselves out rather than try to horse them. If there's too much current or I think I might get spooled, I toss the anchor rope with the float on the end and drift after them.

You'll get another shot at one, I'm sure. Look at it this way, you have something to think about to keep you up when you're trying to fall asleep on the boat now:wink:

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    All I can say is buddy that fishing-been ther and it bites never knowing what you had but go back and dont give up you'll get another shot :cool2:

6. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i am no expert but i have caught a few larger fish and in my oppinion it sounds like that fish had been there done that before if ya know what i mean catching them in the current is a difficult task it really helps the fish out alot one thing i try to watch for though is make sure you have a really sharp hook sometimes the hook doesnt penetrate the skin like it needs to and like the guys said you would have felt worse had it been a poorly tied knot bad leader and such you will hook into another one like that just be careful and occasionally check your hooks i almost lost my pb flat because of an unsharp hook

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Don't give up there will be another day a you will land one also I think would switch to a 10/0 to fish for the big one

Good luck

8. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Nobody catch's them all.

Yes it was a really nice one, and he played you perfect.
    Sounds like he was using that fast current to keep you from pulling him out of his hole. I'd say thats one big smart wise ol fish.

Now you know what your up against, now you got to figure out how you can beat him if it happens again in the same spot.

9. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I can relate to the legs of jello. I fought a big one for about 10 minutes before he made a final run and snapped the line. It was brand new line. I sat down and just started shaking because of all the adreniline rushing.

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    sounds to me you put to much pressure on him should have played him for a long while wore him out then slowly led him in if you gonna fish from the jettie you need a lot of line braided if you can afford it put 500 yards on if you can the big fish will hit the current at the end of the jetties some times set your dragg so he can run some and wear his self out dont get in a hurry ever hear of buck fever you got cat fever good luck next time :cool2:

11. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I feel your pain, I lost a really nice one this weekend. I don't know if I had my pb flat on the end of my line. But I know he was big enough to make me want to be about a foot taller and a lot stronger. When he came loose, tears actually formed and I wanted to cry. I keep going over it, trying to figure out what I should have or shouldn't have done.

Should I have used a bigger hook
    Was the hook sharp enough
    Should I have loosened the drag
    Or maybe I should have brought him in quicker and not have given him time to throw the hook
    Or maybe I should have??????????? :confused2:

I guess in the end you can't catch them all. I know where he lives, and I will be visiting him here real soon. At least with the hook coming free I know he is still swimming. I hate when they brake the line and have all that line hanging out of their mouths.

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I think you just need to not beat yourself up over it too bad...

tricia had it right. Your going to feel bad about it; your going to loose confidence. but if you keep at it, your going to have another chance. You've obviously done a lot of things right to catch him. you just keep doing it.

seems to me that it wasn't well hooked.. next time it will be.

congrats on the near miss. the near misses I have had, have inspired me much and made me a better fishermen.

13. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks so much for the responces..first thing I did was change all my hooks..I bought some #9's nice purty silver ones!.. This fish really confused me. When I caught that 26 pounder last year he went out came in went out, came in and was in the boat. I never had one run to one spot and just sit down like that .. I would hold him with the pole bent over for a couple minutes when I guess I was trying to figure out what to do so I would pull harder trying to bring him in..I was really surprised that I could actually feel it when he turned his head and shook but even then he only ran to the area where I hooked him? Are some of you guys saying I should have just let him sit there in his hole? Really, I can say I did not know what to do and sure would like to if I ever hook him (or her) again! The fish just sat there in that hole ..went over it when we were leaving and it was 30 feet deep. My brother had taken in all the other poles in case he made a run for it we were going to take off after him in the boat but he just sat there. I know it was only 15 minutes but I swear it took about an hour!

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dave, that's what they'll do sometimes when they have the current on their side. I've had them sit out there with their head down in the current, just letting the current do the work of fighting. Not much you can do at that point but hang on and wait for him to do something.

I've had time to hold the rod in one hand while keeping pressure and take a smoke break waiting on them to move with the other. Once they decide to move, you can gain some line on them. It's dang near impossible to horse one in the current - they know all they have to do is sit there and hold themselves straight and there's nothing you can do about it but either try to force the issue or let them get tired and cooperate. If I'm confident there's not many snags around, I'll put as little stress on my line and their mouth as I can while maintaining control. Lets them get tired, minimizes the chances of them getting enough leverage to break me off, and gives me the fun of fighting them a bit longer.

I'm far from an expert, but that's the way I've lucked into the big ones I've had the good fortune to land.

I'm with the other guys, I think the fella you hooked into had played that game before. You'll get 'em next time!

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    What Branden said Dave, just let him go. Unlees he's running you close to being out of line or snags there's no need to move the boat or be in any hurry. He will play out....
    I bet I know where you will be fishing for a while. Hope you get him Dave....

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I mite go to bigger hooks, line or what not. One things for certain, you could find me sittin on that wing dyke every chance i got for a while. Best of luck and i hope to see a pic of it soon.

17. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Dave, even if you didn't land him, you still did a heck of a job. Reps to you!!

18. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dave, I'll add one more thing. If you weren't hooked on the catfishing before you will be now.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    bigger hooks,bigger baits,and stronger rod he will be back if you wait long enough.sounds like you did it all right but some times the fish wins.

20. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I wanted to say thanks to all that responded. Standing there and let him play out was the last thing on my mind and it really makes since. If there is a hole like that will some of these large fish stay in that area? I think we might have a different ending the next time I hook up with this fish. Thanks again to everyone.