HELP Needed with boat/motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by CopeMan, Aug 4, 2009.

1. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey guys got a ? for ya. Im gettin a motor for my 18 foor lowe jon boat that has a 20" transom height. The motor is a short shaft. If i was to take and make somewhat of a notch out of the center of the transom to lower the motor say 3" would this work? Its just a 9.9 so im not worried about transom comin out. Thanks:big_smile:

2. nanookofthenish

nanookofthenish New Member

State:
    sw iowa
    Hello, Aaron. I must say this question is exactly opposite of the situation that I am most in. Where do you plan to run this boat? Shallow rivers, or on the lakes? I am always attempting to raise the motor as much as possible to avoid contact in the shallow rivers I run, yet still avoid cavitation.
    My initial answer is 'yes', do it- no problem. Just get you a good aluminum welder friend and he can do the mods per your request. My second thought is that it seems like way too little of a motor to do any good on an 18ft jon. With any people or gear it will take forever to get on plane, if at all. Guess I really need to know what your intentions are to give you a descent answer.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know if that would be safe. you dont want to be on the water and have your transom fall off completely, and loose your motor to the depths of the water. But a 9.9 will work on an 18 foot boat, it will just be slow. But would be great for jugging and setlines. And would be a great small river boat. IMO

4. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    yes i would mainly use it for small lakes. Wont be fishin the current or big water much. I plan on doin plenty of reinforcing on the transom. Would you happen to know how much a conversion kit would cost for a longshaft. thanks

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'm not really familiar with them, but maybe you could mount it on a jackplate? Mount the motor to that, and then put the jackplate all the way down? Maybe someone more familiar with them can clarify this. With a 9.9 on a 18 foot boat, would it even go fast enough to cause cavitation?

6. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A jack plate and a tiller may not go together well. Is your 9.9 a tiller? I would guess it would not be worth a long shaft conversion because of cost. Check with a few dealers.

7. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    I put a Gerelick stationary aux motor bracket on my 20" transome boat. wanted to run my littel 2.5 hp yamaha on it. No long shaft kit for that motor. The bracket was not wide enough for me, so I made a new "transom" for the bracket. Glued up some plywood for it. Mounted the bracket on the center of the transom, 15" up from the bottom. The bracket was rated 15 hp. My littel 2.5 is not fast, but it works fine for me. I live on a 40 acre lake and it's fine. The best part is it's mounted with 4 bolts, completely removeable.I just make sure my saftey cable is secure. :big_smile:

8. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That aux. motor bracket was just what I was going to advise- Please don't ruin a good boat by cutting the transom down. Someday you may want to get a bigger better motor for your boat

9. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Yep I agree with most of you guys. Not worth messin with the transom. Ill just take my time and get me like a 15 25 horse long shaft. Be better off in the long run. Thanks for all you input guys. Good luck n good fishn:big_smile: