help needed learning how to hunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by just a redneck, Jul 26, 2008.

1. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have a question i never got to go hunting growing up but i want to learn and i want my kids to learn but have no clue where to start dont want to be a trouphy hunter just feed my family and give my kids some good memories growing up, in bad shape and need lots of help thanks

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    What will you be hunting with? Rifle, muzzleloader, shotgun or bow? Do you already have a place to go? That could be the hardest part of hunting nowadays, finding a place. I think the easiest way to deer hunt would be out of a stand or ground blind if ya dont like heights. The ground is also good for those days when its so windy you dont trust the trees or ya feel like getting cozy in a sleeping bag. Spend a few days or as many as you can before the season looking for trails and tracks, good looking places for your stands or blinds while keeping in mind that you want to get in and out as quickly, easily and quietly as possible. Also dont set up right on tracks or trails, depending on what your hunting with you can be 15 yards off or a 100. I really like watering areas, theyre great IMO becuase they always need water and I think it becomes part of their routine. The banks also make a good place to check for tracks to tell how many and how often deer use the area. Also look for natural feeding areas, overgrown fields with fruit trees or acorn woods. Once we know what your hunting with and where I think we can get a little more specific.

3. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    i plan on hunting with a rifle to hard for kids to use a bow most of my friends have decent plots of land so that wont be a problem but i dont know about deer behaviors or best all around guns i live in kansas if that helps. yes it hurts my pride to post this but everybody has to start somewere.my kids are 1 and 2yrs old i just figure by the time i get good enough to bag deer on my own they will be old enough to come with me

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cant imagine learning to hunt without a teacher, fishing yes, hunting no...I would consider getting some books and magaazines on the topics an game you want to hunt.....hunting is such a safety thing, be carefull out there.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    like derby said. need spots.

talk to local farmers ya know. ask them. some will let ya due to the deer eating crops ect.. but some will be full and say no firmly.

i hunt in il with a muzzeloader. i cant use rifles in il. but let me tell ya. a 45 cal muzzeloader with a scope is deadly at 100 yards dead drop.

using a rifle. you can drop a deer at 150 easy.

if your hunting for meat and fun with kids its not as hard. does and in rut the deer move alot and are not as weary as theose old smart trophy racks that make some good chili and wall hangers. lol.

but the at home butcher and prosessor can turn those into good cuts. its in the chef and cutter not the animal.:wink:

i want to do a full processing video for the archives this season. to help the beginner do his own without the cost of the lockers.

any mor Q's ya need ask. well help. youll need some blinds, stands ect... some camo clothes ect... i just got into it a few years ago but already bagged several deer. its not impossible. but i have been around hunters as long as i could walk. my grandfathers cb handle was bow hunter lol. so i was born into it.

youll have fun. should be getting my tags back soon. taking my 9 year old this year. ill be shooting backup in case he misses,lol. we cant eat almosts.:smile2:

6. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    If youve got spots to hunt your already half way there. I taught myself how to hunt and there will be many mistakes along the way, learn from them and enjoy your time out there. If your hunting big fields you probably want a 270, 7mm08 or any other flat shooting rifle. If your hunting woods ya can get by with just about anything, 243, 30-30, 30-06, 270, 7mm08 .... Dont worry too much about deer behavior or their patterns unless your going after one specific buck, that gets tougher. Check out your states game regulations and they might have some tips in the booklet, check wally world. Ya might want to stay with smaller rifles since your kids will likely be hunting with them, 270, 30-30, 243 and maybe 7mm08 not real familiar with that one. You can honestly bag deer by just waiting them out as long as your in a decent spot. Start reading everything you can get your hands on and do a search for any specific questions or ask them here. Best thing you can do is start walking around the spots you'll hunt, do it as early as you can and leave it alone a few weeks before season starts. Dont worry too much about gear just get something warm and comfortable.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd post up downwind of a field that you can see across. watch the field as it gets dark and or as dawn approaches. you'll get an idea where the concentrations of animals are coming from in the evening and where they're going in the morning to bed down. go for long slow walks during the day and learn where the deer are. you'll make hundreds of mistakes trying to pattern the animals but, thats what it's all about. the learning experience and becoming one with nature. have fun, good luck, and above all stay safe.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Don't ever be embarrassed about asking for help when ya don't know something. How else are you gonna find out.

The first thing you need to do is read. Read all you can find about what your gonna hunt. Their habits, foods, etc etc. Deer are pretty much a creature of habit until they are disturbed or the season or food source changes then they change with it. Kinda like catfish. The food source moves they move or when breeding season comes in their habits change again. Or when they are spooked or disturbed they will move and change the habits.

The next thing is to study up on being scent free. Deer have a very strong nose and they use it to their advantage. Always play the winds when you go out scouting or hunting. You will really need to be scent free if your gonna be hunting on the ground or if you have a pretty good walk to your stand. Even if your hunting from a tall stand it is still good to be as scent free as possible. You never know when a swirling wind will give your location away.

Next is patience. Even if you got deer coming in to your location they may not present you with a good shot. Don't take a poor shot and let the deer run off a mile or two and you not be able to track it down. That's just a waste and the sign of a poor hunter.

Now after all this your ready to start learning about calling and rattling. I would get some videos on the subject of calling and rattling and learn them well. Rattling and calling don't always work. It depends on a lot of factors that you will learn from the videos.

If you buy a climbing stand or a lock on stand just remember to buy a safety harness or vest. They are lifesavers. Many hunters have been permanently injured or killed from falling from stands.

But one of the most important things since you haven't hunted is when you get a gun learn gun safety well and pass that along to those boys. Gun accidents are another way many hunters have been injured or killed in the woods. Never climb into a tree stand with a loaded gun.

Being cautious, careful and quiet in the woods will make you a good hunter as well as one that will come back out of the woods without incident.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i taught myself how to hunt, dad was a p.o.s. model and was never there. ever since i can remember i have been outside rambling around, observing animals in their natural habitat and of course killing them. like was said before, having a place to go is one of the biggest parts of the puzzle. if you go out now, remember deer patterns will change in the fall and again in the winter, especially around the rut. get proficient with whatever you'll be shooting. learn the ballistics of your bullet so you can make windage and elevation estimates in a hurry. shoot from several different positions, and fine tune your scope. talk to your friends that have the places and ask them about the activities of the deer on their place. never be shy about asking questions, especially on here. there are a bunch of people on here that have a combined experience of several years. good luck to you!

10. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't know about Kansas, but here in Virginia new hunters, regardless of age, must take a hunter safety course before they can purchase a license. A good instructor can make a big difference for those new to hunting. In addition to the basics about firearm safety, you should have opportunities to learn which deer position allows for the best shot placement for an ethical kill.
    Everyone else has already given you some great ideas and I'd add that you should watch for does because as the season plays out the bucks will soon follow. Don't pass up a chance for a big doe. Not only will you fill a freezer but you'll also play a role in helping manage the herds in your area.
    I know Kansas is a lot flatter than Virigina and you probably have chances at longer shots. Get familiar with what a typical shooting distance is where you hunt and practice at a range before the season opens. Get familiar with your rifle...how quickly can you find your target in the scope, how steady can you hold from different positions, and how it kicks. This is very important because I've seen others flinch in anticipation of the kick and not make the best shot, or miss entirely. To help with this don't buy a rifle that is too much gun for the job. I shoot a .243 and have never lost a deer nor have I had to add a follow up shot.
    I wish you the best of luck this season. Hunting is a lot of work but it can be tremendously rewarding. Give us a yell if you have more questions. There are plently of good folks here to help.

Mike

11. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    . yes it hurts my pride to post this but everybody has to start somewere.my kids are 1 and 2yrs old i just figure by the time i get good enough to bag deer on my own they will be old enough to come with me[/quote]

I'm not a hunter, but my husband hunts. You shouldn't feel bad for asking - after all, isn't it better to ask and get good information from your Bros. here on BOC than to go out and get hurt or worse? I'm sure you'll be fine. If you have the patience to fish, then I'm sure you'll have the patience to hunt. Reps to you for caring about your kids and wanting to teach them the outdoors!:wink:

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Follow the advice given here, and have patience. I go hunting with my brother or brother-in-law. They seem to get a deer every year, and I took several years to get one. They also had a few years before they got one. My dad went several years before he got his first.

Learn about their habits, where they move, feeding areas, trails, bedding areas etc. I usually sit in a stand for awhile and then move thru the woods slowly, looking for things. I do a lot of exploring the area until I work my way back and then sit until dark.

Forget about getting a deer, a big one, or a trophy, forget about work and everything else, enjoy the time in the woods and soon enough one will come along and end up as food. Thats when the work starts.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    First thing,I think would be to enroll in a hunter ed class,You will learn safe gun handling,as well as game I D ,they also teach laws,ethics, and survival skills to use in emergency situations. I would read as much and ask as many questions as I could . The only dumb questions are those not asked. Theres a slew of people ,including myself that will do our best to point ya in the right direction and help all we can. This is a brotherhood .

14. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Great advice about going to a hunters ed class. I took mine in middle school at conservation camp and it was great, probably wouldnt hurt me to go again.:embarassed:

15. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Start by finding your spot, and then just put in the time and learn the animals' movements. Nothing can beat getting out there and putting in the time. Have a good time.

16. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hello guy,
    Hunting is an event that requires alot of restraint. Safety is a Hallmark.
    Your never want a hunting trip to turn in to a bad event, you will learn theres alot ways things can go wrong.

Hunter safety can be done on the internet in Ga after you complete it you must take a test and do some field training with your instructor.

The easy part is squezzing a round off, It gets hard after that. You always have to be sure where your round will hit. I would never shoot over a ridge line, you will not know where your round went.

The art of chasing the deer is a very old art. They have just about every advantage, eye sight, hearing, smell and knowledge of there woods.

Find a place on your hunting land that offers food, water and shelter.
    Once you find the trails you select a stand site.

It is often easier to find a perch or a higher section of ground to setup your stand site. It offers a better vision of the lay of the land, and if your shooting down ward its safer. The round will go in the ground after you complete your shot or should you miss it will serve as a back stop and keep anyone near you safe.

A good book will help you, There is too much to learn than can be posted in a single posting.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

Brian

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Where are you located in Kansas? We have plenty of good public hunting and walk in hunting areas (WIHA). 3 weeks ago I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen standing on public hunting land by Milford lake. He looked like you cut him out of a poster and pasted him there. Anyway, like everyone said, you will need a hunter education certificate before you can buy a license. Our rifle season opens very late and it is only for 2 weeks. The rut will be over long before rifle season. It will depend on what the weather is like them 2 weeks. As you know in Kansas it can be 0° and snowing like heck or it can be 50° with no snow. If it is cold and blowing, you will have to walk and scare them up. They will be bedded down in draws that are perpendicular to the wind and thick cover to stay warm. They won't be moving much. If it is nicer you can set up off a deer trail in the woods and wait. As long as you are quiet and don't move around you should be able to get you a nice deer for eating. If you are fairly close, I would be willing to go out with you a couple times and show you what to look for when setting up.

18. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Before you buy a big game rifle get a good .22 rimfire and put a scope on it and site it in. Then learn to shoot it with both eyes open and become very proficient with it.Then buy a good compass and learn to use it so you don't get lost. Then start small game hunting squirrels rabbits etc. While hunting for small game you will come across deer sign and will see alot of deer while stalking and hunting small game.After you get good at this then purchase a good rifle with a really good quality scope and set it up just like your .22 and start practicing with it. Once again shoot both eyes open you will be able to pick your target up quicker and focus better on the exact spot to place the bullet. The main thing is to put safety first, get out in the wood early and often, observe the animals in there natural feeding areas take notes and stay upwind of there noses for deer anyway. Movement and smell are your worst enemies.Small game will teach you the basic skills needed to progress to larger game. I hunted small game for years before deer hunting.Everyone that deer hunts today most likely went squirrel or rabbit hunting years before they started hunting larger animals. I was fortunate enough to take a deer on my first ever deer hunt. Deer hunting can be very discouraging at times thats why i say start small game hunting it offers alot more stalking and shooting opportunities and you get very familiar with the areas you plan to hunt. See if you like small game hunting before you move into bigger things. Get with the friends that own the land and start hunting with them if they hunt. Good luck!

19. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    If this has already been said i apologize, i didnt take the time to read every post all the way. But just being at almost 17 years old, I've bagged 3 deer, no monsters but enough to learn that a lot of things you cant learn from anyone else. Some things in the woods just have to be learned through trial and error. As long as you take the safety of yourself and any other hunters around you into consideration you have to try new things. If you find one thing doesnt work swap it up a little. Hunting the bigger bucks is like a game during the rut. They might have a good routine going and right when you figure them out they will pull a 360 on you.and you'll have to figure out a new technique. Just take time to sit in the woods. The more you sit in the woods, the better off you are about learning what you can about nature. Come fall start looking at the birds, the squirrels, the way the leaves blow, any other game that you see can teach you. And you can sometimes use everything around you to tell where the deer are if they arnt in sight yet. Just pay lots of close close attention and you'll learn a lot about deer movement and activity on your own in your own area. Books and videos can teach a lot but not every area is the same when it comes to deer. Deer activity can vary from county to county and even proterty to property. Good luck, and you'll be addicted as soon as you see your first deer in close.

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    No matter how you hunt, start reading everything you can find on deer and watch all the informative videos you can find. The more you know about deer, the easier they are to hunt.