Help needed catching catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KSCats, May 24, 2009.

1. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Will someone please teach me how to catch catfish! I haven't caught one yet this year! Had a couple nibbles yesterday but no takers. :embarassed:
    I haven't caught any crappie either and only a few perch. My wife keeps out fishing me too!:smile2:

I might have to learn to like bass. I don't have too much trouble catching them. I only catch little ones though, on the small side of the slot limit on the local SFL. Been catching them on jigs and worms while fishing for perch.

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Practice, Practice, Practice, :wink::smile2::smile2:

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Like Troy says I think we are getting a late start this year but they are starting to bite on Neosho.Might want to drop a live bluegill in at the dam on cottonwood at Emporia.

4. toolmaan

toolmaan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have caught several but they have all been in my pond. I was just at Harvey County West the past 3 days and fished a lot and only caught a 11" channel cat off of Sonny's dip bait. That is unusual, usually with that place you can catch several fish in just a few hours with dip bait.

There was dozens of people fishing this weekend and if they caught anything it was barely legal.

I think it is just a slow start.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Chris you will catch some cats at the gathering....:big_smile:

6. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Just put as much time on the water as you can.It will eventually pay off big.I would say go to a stocked lake for eaters, but there pretty much all caught in the first 2 weeks.

7. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Bait is really important. I spend almost as much time during the week collecting bait as I do on the weekend using it. I have a bluegill trap in a creek. I check it nightly and take a pole with a couple of nightcrawlers to get a few more gills when I check it, because my trap is usually full of bullhead but not many perch. I prefer the perch, but the bullhead are good too.
    You have to fish where there are big fish to get a big fish. I live in Osage but usually fish the Kaw by Lawrence. I am fortunate enough to have a boat, so that helps. This weekend I went out to John Redmond and had good luck, a 40+ pound flathead and several 10+ channel. All on perch, the flathead on live, the channels on ones that had died.
    Patience, I might fish a whole weekend and not get a fish. It just goes that way sometimes, just hopefully not too often. Don't give up.
    Tackle, after you find big fish, and hook a big fish, you gotta get him in and he's not going to come peacefully. When he gets close and sees that light he's going to fight for all he's worth. Thats the most exciting thing in the world, fighting him in, anxious to get a glimpse of the monster on the end of your line, then when you are just about to see him, he turns and strips line off your reel and makes a run back to the depths. I am 40 years old and have yet to find anything to compare to the rush of catching a big fish. I got a minimum of 50 pound test line on my reels, and use 6/0 hooks most of the time, 8/0 on occassion, change them after a couple of snags or if they are not sharp. I use anywhere from 2 ozs of weight up to 8 depending on the current I am fishing.
    Don't give up, read everything you can on this site, there is tons of good info and lots of good people to help you out. I almost guarantee, if you are serious about catching a big catfish and don't give up, by the end of this summer you will know that rush of catching a big fish....Oh yeah, luck doesn't hurt either..........good luck!:wink:

8. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I can't wait! It's getting close.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ive got a few each time out couple around 20# flat but the bite is slow. when i went sat morning i cought a 20# flat in the first 20 min and that was the only bite. and i fished for 3-4 hrs.

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    BUDDY I WISH I COULD HELP YOU I HAVE NOT CAUGHT MANY MY SELF THIS YEAR ITS BEEN TOUGH FINDING THEM.HOPE BOTH OF US START CATCHING SOME REAL SOON.

11. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What is a catfish? Im not sure I have ever seen one lol. At least not this year:sad2:

12. Riley498

Riley498 New Member

State:
    Kansas - Parsons
    Read EVERYTHING on this site relateing to bait and gear and how to use it... You wouldn't think much of it but it helps so much.
    I guess I just been lucky cause Ive been rippin channel up for a while but I spend every moment on the water... When work is slow I take off to fish when my GF talks about getting married... I go fishing and so on :D!

13. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    My advice would be to find the rip rap and if you're fishing from the bank get to an area where the wind is blowing in your face - the stronger the wind the better - I'd use liver or shrimp under a bobber about 2 1/2 foot deep - cast out about 30 yds and let it drift ALL the way back to the bank - look for any veriation of the rip rap (ie points, cut backs, vegatation, logs) and try those areas first. for some reason if ya have a weed bed for example thats 100 yds long if there's a 10ft section with rock the bigger cats tend to be drawn to that 10 foot - same goes with 100 yds of rock with 10 foot of weeds - go to one area and fan cast moving up and down the bank till ya find them - also if ya catch a nice fish in one spot make a note of that exact spot - it may take 30 mins. or a day or two but another nice one WILL claim that spot - hope this helps and let us know how ya do:wink: Pre spawn is one of my favorite times of the year and the nice thing about catfish is they have a exstended spawn unlike walleye or crappie and can be red hot for 3 to 4 weeks:big_smile: Good luck!!!

14. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you concentrate on these three aspects you will succeed:
    1. Location
    2. Timing
    3. Presentation

They will not cross the lake to find your magic bait, it must be where they are or are going to travel by.....location.
    If you are not there when they are there....they won't say "hey I think Chris is fishing now, let's start feeding!".......timing.
    If you are using 6" live bluegills in a community lake with 1lb. stocked fish....no luck. If you are using a 1" doughball in the Mississippi River....no luck......presentation.

For the record...there is NO magic bait. If you fish for bass then you already understand that concept. I have put every homemade ultra-secret concoction, store bought, OMG that stinks, trapped in a secret creek, under a rock next to Uncle Fred's 100y/o Live Oak tree, etc. bait on my hooks.

I have the opinion that channel cats have predictable/learnable habits, and to learn them you must exercise patience, discipline, and an open mind. If you sitck with a location, a time slot, and a good presentation for the water you are fishing you will succeed. After that success I would suggest varying any of the 3 above mentioned aspects and you will experince different results.
    And keep written notes if you can force yourself to.
    I used to write down date, moon, time of catch(es), size of fish, approximate temperature, and wind direction. I wouldn't limit my time on the water based on barometric pressure, gotta work too afterall. You will never catch fish in the recliner either. Early on I would fish 3 different baits simultaneously to establish a fish " preference".
    Now I use bluegills and shad, and get lucky enough to catch a fish now and then.
    After all, I am smarter than the fish....right?!?! Or as I like to say, "it aint a hat rack".