Help Needed Badly

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kingtroy, Apr 25, 2006.

1. kingtroy

kingtroy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    greetings...im new here and want to say hello to everyone first. I have alot to spill so here goes.... a couple weeks ago I bought a piece of land with a farm pond on it. Its about 90-100 ft across and circular. I talked with a few of the locals and they say they have been stocking this pond for years. The pond has a very serious overgrowth of algae and i currently dont have one of those machines that churns the water for oxygen. the only type of fish in the pond that i know of are many catfish that have taken over the pond, and 3 or 4 very small fish that might me carp. I have a few concerns that i must ask because i know nothing about catfish and i want to learn to catch them.

1. The catfish seem to be crawling up to shore and dying. Theres about 10 that are currently on the shore dead. Are they running out of oxygen or are they "spawning" as my friend tells me? I actually reached my hand down and grabbed a 20 ft catfish on the back that was near shore and it took off but it was really cool to grab one like that :) I ask because i fear a large fish overpopulation and dont want them to die off too rapidly

2. I have also noticed alot of bull frogs in the water as well but no turtles that i know of....could the reason why the catfish arent biting my nightcrawlers much be that there is too much food in the pond for the fish? ive tried to fish for a week and a half now and havent cought one catfish with hotdogs, shrimp, and worms for bait and even some gimmick catfish spray lol

2. kingtroy

kingtroy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    3. can i get sued if someone was to come here and drown on accident? could i avoid legal issues by putting up a few signs? the locals have used this spot for years and i dont want to stop people coming over...but i am concerned...

4. what are the best times of the day to catch catfish? they dont seem to be biting much for us. should i use different bait other than what was said in #2?

5. last thing...is it normal for catfish to school? and also to swim the surface during the day? i assume they are nocturnal but i honestly dont know

i guess thats plently for now :) thanks....any info appreciated

3. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Welcome aboard.

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Hi Troy,
    Welcome to the BOC, the greatest community on the web!
    First thing I would do is to contact the Agricultural Extension Service in your area and get them to come out and take a look. They can be a valuable resource as can the Dept. of Wildlife Resources for your state.

I am wondering if what you have is really a duckweed problem and not algae at all. Duckweed is a very tiny plant that really has no roots to speak of. They are tiny little leaflike plants that really consist of tiny fronds with tiny hairlike rootlets that hang down from under the fronds. The fronds grab hold of each other forming large mats of duckweed. They can be so prolific that they can completely cover the surface of small ponds. If that happens and the pond does not have a good supply of fresh water exchange fish can start suffocating out.
    Duckweed can be beneficial in many ways so long as it does not take over. Many birds and aquatic animals use duckweed, some for food, some for cover, etc.
    Duckweed spreads rapidly, especially in water containing high levels of nitrogen and phosphates

Duckweed has been a major problem down here the past couple of years for small farm ponds.

So, I definitely would get someone that knows what to look for and how to identify the algae/weed growth to come in and check out the problem as soon as you can. The warmer the water gets the faster the oxygen depletion so if that is the problem you need to fix it quickly.

Good luck to you!

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I agree with Barb. You might think of throwing a couple of grass carp in to help control the algae if that is indeed what it is. Also, if there are people fishing it regularly, I doubt very seriously if it is overpopulated if they are catching fish and taking them home.

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Troy,
    As far as you being liable for injury or death in/on the property and pond that varies by state. You should check with your local authorities so that you know first hand for sure and go from there.
    With people being so law suit happy these days you need to protect yourself and your family before anything happens. The only way to do that properly is to educate yourself.

Hopefully you will never have a situation to where anyone gets injured or drowns, but you just never know.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Troy and Joe.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :big_smile_2: WELCOME TROY YOUR GOING TO ENJY THE BOC. FULL OF INFORMATION..AFTER YOU GET YOUR POND CLEANED OUT DO LIKE MY NEIGHBOR DID.THEY TOOK A PLASTIC BARREL ,FILLED IT APPROX 1/2 FULL OF WATER ,PUT IT IN THIER POND.THEY JUST LET IT FLOAT AROUNDWITH THE WIND MOVING IT. SO FAR THEY HAVE NEVER HAD ANY GROWTH OF ANY TYPE IN OR ON THE WATER. I GUESS IT MUST KEEP THE WATER STIRRED UP SO STUFF CAN'T GROW.. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR POND. AND AGAIN (WELCOME)

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I want to welcome you first.

I would call your local biologist and ask them to come out and survey your pond. This is usually a free visit or comes with a nominal fee. They can give you an idea of your ponds overall health. While there they can identify the vegetation problem.

I used to treat pond professionally and Usually the only ponds that have severe algae problems are shallow and 4' or less. Now if this is the case then you will always have problems with algae. Aeration will help tho.

Ponds will sometimes have fish kills and the lake and ponds around my area have already seen some. It usually wont hurt your fishery, but is something to keep an eye on. If you do use some type of aquatic herbicide, be sure to treat no more than a third at a time if the algae is severe.

Check you local extension office, they should have manuals on aquatic plants.

Good luck

10. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. I do not know much about what to do on your pond but will keep an eye on this post, I am in the process of buying some property with a pond and the information can help me also.

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Welcome to the BOC!

Try putting a few bails of hay in the water, they will help clear up the water.

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    WELCOME!
    My sis in law has a pond also. She put in 4 grass carp (mentioned) they will eat 100lb.s each a year. As of now they are 3' long. She and her hubby are both lawers. If someone drowns they can sue. be very very care full who you let fish. Have them sign a release stating you are not responceable. Even with that you can still get sued. She does not the let few people fish with minnow because they can turn out to be carp. Algie will use the oxegent up. She did put in a airator. Which has helped in hot weather. The pond has bass, cats, gills etc in it when she bought the house. The blue gills are over populating. Watch what you put in there.
    Hope this and the rest of the the replies help you out.
    Bill

13. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Welcome Troy areation is the key to everything!

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If possible, ask the locals, or the previeous owners if they fed them. All the ponds on my farm growing up, got about 15lbs of dog food each a week. Which kinda trains them to feed on the surface. All of our bass and cats sat there, if you thru out a rapala you had a better chance of gettin one than on the bottom. I know alot of people who feed the fish in there ponds due to lack of food.

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, I am sure you will get alot of help with your questions.

16. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Iam wondering how deep is your pond? I have strip pits one is only 5' deep it has fish kills every few years, another is 3' to 18' deep the shallow end fills with weeds, but the deep end doesn't. the fish use the shallow end to spawn,and hide .but i will find them anyway. an old timer told me to leave some of the fallen trees protuding into the waterfrom shore. this helps aerate the pit he said. especially in the winter when they freeze .

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Welcome to the BOC the "GREATEST CATFISHING RESOURCE" on the internet. I hope that you can get the plant/algae problem under control. I can tell you that the frogs are a good thing, they are kind of like Mother Natures' barometer, a healthy frog population means a healthy pond i.e. good water conditions little to no pollution. Like the others have said, contact the locals and the previous owner and see what they are using for bait and when they fish. Also you should find out if this is a run-off pond or a spring-fed pond or a combination of the two. There is a possibility that the pond has silted in an may need to be dredged out this is an expensive adventure and could cause your fish population to be lost, but if you go that route, you have alot of options, change the size add or remove submerged structure. You could rebuild the dam, that could also be the problem, the spillway pipe could be clogged or above the water line, which would restrict or stop the flow of water through the pond. Just my thoughts on the subject, hope this helps.

TA2D

Aaron

18. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Kingtroy, If it is duckweed you will have to use a chemical called Sonar AS and it is expensive. I had duckweed and water meal on to of my ponds (11/2 acres a piece) and had to buy a gal. of it. The cheapest price I found was $1500 for a gal.Here is a link that might answer a lot of your questions. Where in Kentucky do you live? If you call the fish and wildlife people they will come out and tell you what you need to do and if you pond isn't totally covered, they will put there shock boat in your pond and you can find out what you have in your pond.It doesn't cost you a dime. Hope this helps...

http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=136&NavPath=C101