Help! Need to cook venison

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have some backstrap and tenderloin...the wife has never eaten venison and i want this to be a good experience for her.

can someone point me to a couple of good ideas???:big_smile:

2. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Phil,
    I cook alot of venison and haven't found any body that doesn't like it the way I cook it.

Back strap (whole) using a sharp knife, I clean the silverskin and any thing white, (tissues and fat)

2 hours before cooking, season with Cavender's Greek Seasoning fair amount, Lawery's Season Salt, and pepper.
    I like to cook my back straps whole over a med. fire until the outside is browned then slice them as thick as you like and finish them, I like mine 1 and half inches thick cooked med. rare centers.
    It take 15 to 20 min. to brown and only a few minutes to finish.
    If you don't like rare meat venison is not the meat you want to be using.
    good grilling, the next thing you now she's sitting in your treestand when you get there in the morning, lol

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Phil I'll send ya some T-bones in trade for the venison. (as long as it ain't an old buck). What are ya in the mood for with your deer? Steaks, medallions, strips, Teriyaki steak, Marinated loins, grilled tenderloins, Italian roast? Give us a clue at what you are good at. Not fried eggs. My dog can do that.

John.

4. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    We split ours down the middle deep enough to lay polish sausage in it then add some chopped onion, bell pepper, seasonings of what ever you like, a little butter doesn't hurt, and then double wrap in foil and cook till done. you can use toothpicks to help keep it sealed. John came up with this (countryhart) and it's great and a meal I always look forward to him cooking on the grill. The sausauge Helps keep it moist and we have also been known to marinate in Italian Salad Dressing the night before...YUMMMMMMM:big_smile:

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Also if you'll wrap this in bacon it helps. Cher said split it, actually take a long blade knife and stick thru the loin and insert the sausage. If it's already sliced, whoop it with a meat hammer, chipped saucer or whatever, marinade in zesty Italian salad dressing, flour and fry it like round steak. Actually it make good swiss steak if ya like tomatoes.I think the trick to good deer meat is in the cleaning,,,deer fat is rancid tasting and should be removed in my opinion.

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We do fajitas a lot. Season your peppers and onions with salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder. Sautee in some butter till about half tender. Add your sliced venison. It usually gets done the same time as the veggies. Serve on tortillas with cheese, lettuce, sour cream and salsa. YUMMY!!:wink: That's what we had for dinner last night.
    Deb

7. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    man all this talk'n go'n on about venison make'n me hungary :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:.... gonna go pull some out right now , i have a lil left .........:wink::wink:

8. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    when i used to hunt we took the deer mear cut all the fat off you can buy a bottle of cheap red wine put the meat into a bowl of wine and cut up some onions takes away alot of the wild tast we also took cream of mushroom soup and cooked it in a crock pot hope this helps bobshould of said leave it in the wine overnite

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Phil, if you want to fry it lay the tenderloin out on a cutting board, Trim as mentioned above all the silver off the top and all the fat away. You should be left with a length of meat only. Now take and cut your steaks crossways, first cut your steak twice the thickness you want then take and cut that piece of meat in half without going all the way through. Open the steak up and this is called a butterflied steak and cut across the grain will make it more tender. If the loin was out of an older deer then tenderize the steaks before cooking with a tenderizer or if you don't have one just lay them on your cutting board and whack it with a knife on both sides. I don't do this but if you want to take some of the wild taste out soak all the cut steaks submerged in salt water for a couple of hours in the fridge. Theres all kinds of ways to cook it from here but the best to me is to salt and pepper both sides of the steak, dredge them in flour and fry on med. heat with enough oil in the pan to go about half way up the steaks. serve with fried potatoes and gravy made from the drippings is hard to beat.

If you want to smoke it, trim as mentioned above. I like using seasoning salt and pepper but season with anything you like. Wrap bacon strips around it and use tooth picks to hold it in place. Set it on a big enough piece of aluminum foil to later be able to wrap it closed. Lay sliced onions ( red or yellow) across the top. Smoke it for 1.5 to 2 hours at 200 to 250 degrees. Pour a beer around it and close and seal the aluminum foil. Cook an additional 1.5 to 2 hours at 200 to 250 degrees. Guarenteed to make you slap your mama:wink::smile2:. I cook it a lot of different ways but that is two of my favorites.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya the loin is where i get my butterfly chops from also. cutting 3/4 the way through and then all the way on next cut and opening them up.

really in all honesty venison doesnt need a bunch of junk tossed at it to make it good. i eat deer steak and eggs all the time.

THE MAIN TIP. like kennylee said. DONT COOK WELL DONE. venison drys up.

that loin can be fire grilled slow grilled to med or pinker or cut into chops.

even just sliced 1/4" thick DEEP FRIED FOR 2-3 min and a little a-1 is awesome. just keep in mind dont burn up.

also you can cut chopps from them just by slicing them or butterflying them hammer with a tenderizer and chicken fry them with egg and flour cracker crumbs and seasonings. top with white gravy. still just cooking till the blood just stops appearing. even these i cook with a hint of pink left in the meat.

you have many suggestions but just remember the overcooking thing. if ya do then they should be fine anyway ya do it.

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    1.build a fire
    2.cut a 3ft limb and sharpen one end
    3.cut a chunk of meat from fresh killed deer
    4.poke stick into tha chunk of meat
    5.hold meat over fire till done
    6.eat the meat and enjoy a good meal

:big_smile:

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    One way I like to do it that everyone loves is cut a backstrap across the grain in very thin pieces. Then saute in a fry pan with butter, onions, bell peppers and salt/pepper or other favorite seasoning. Put it on a good hoagie roll or in a tortilla and add shredded monterey jack cheese. If I put it on a roll, I'll usually toast it all up under the broiler before serving. Delicious :wink:

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had to BBQ for some guests tonite. Coltan's B-day party. Anyways, I grilled the regular stuff. Hotdogs, and pork steaks.

For myself though, I grilled 2 deer tenderloins. I rubbed them with olive oil, ground sea salt, steak seasoning, and coarse ground black pepper. Seared them for just a minute on each side, then moved them to a cool corner of the grill as I cooked the rest of the food. When I took them off the grill, they were medium rare, very tender, and very yummy. :roll_eyes: Nobody else wanted any, so I ate them both. Mmmmm.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    tenderlioins??? the lil catfish loins from inside the ribs cavity?? ya. then beat loins (backstraps) even. those are the best part of the animal. i like to make steak sandwitches with them. there so tender.

i would have told everyone them were possum livers just to make sure i got em both.:wink:

15. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    just trim all the silver off it, cut into 3/8" pieces . sprinkle with steak dust and fry in olive oil until its a little pink in the middle. yep, its that easy!! whip up some mashed taters and gravy and eat til ya bust!!:big_smile:

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I have the time to babysit it I like to wrap a tenderloin in bacon and smoke over hickory for about 4 hrs at 250*

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE THE HECK YA AT???????????/ HOWD YA DO IT???????/ HOW DID THEY WORK OUT?????????/ WE NEED CLOSURE.:embarassed:

IF YOU ARE UN SURE FREEZE THEM . SEND THEM TO ME AND ILL MARINATE ,SLOW BASTE, SMOKE THEM SLICE AND VACCUM SEAL AND RE FREEZE AND SEND THEM TO YOU WITH WARM UP INSTRUCTIONS.

THOUGH THEY SHRINK 50% WHEN I DO IT LOL. SO YOULL ONLY GET 1/2 BACK.:big_smile: