HELP! - Need tips on bank/limb lines.

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by RivCat, Jun 25, 2006.

1. RivCat

RivCat New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hi, sometimes when im bankfishing I like to set out bank and or limb lines, some folks refer to them as tie-offs. I would appreciate any advice on this that can be given, dos-donts, baits, etc. Thank you brothers for your help.

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Hi, well i have set some trot-lines before and had some success. What i would suggest is that u find an area that is about the same width as ur line is long. and tie off on bank and if u have a boat(best way) start unrolling the line and baiting as u go out, have litte weight at the start and about 4 oz at the end(in non current water) and just drop the bait in as u go down the line, when u get to the end let it go. then wait and check as often as desired ( i usually wait atleast 4 hrs if camping then over night and first thing in the mornings) good sign if u go back to line and the branch is moving or the line.. when u pull the line over the boat just start from the top again and work ur way to the bottom.. better to tie off the boat if in one, then roll the line up when ur done. DONT LET THE LINE TANGLE! if it does ur gonna fight it for 4 or 5 hours or throw away lol.. Good luck,...; remember to take all ur line with u.. dont leave any :smile2:

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I didn't realize limb lines were legal in Illinois...

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    If fishing on acreek or river you can cut some poles green oak best use a nut or bot for weight bait up then jamthe pole in the bank I have caught alot of cats thes way

5. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes limb lines are elegal but bank poles arnt all you have to do is search this page fore bank poles lines all the tips are hear but the reason that limb lines are elegal becouse people leave them and boaters got cought but i digres as long as you put your name on your poles and for safty sake remove them when your done if you have aney more questions call your local dnr office thay are more than happy to look the info up fore you thats what there ther for or get a dnr regs book but its hard to find aney thing in there with out help hope this helps :big_smile:

6. RivCat

RivCat New Member

State:
    illinois
    Im not sure of the state law, but in private lakes i dont believe its an issue, i may be wrong. I know of co-workers that have complained about limb and trot lines getting rapped up in the prop, i have had the same problem at times. I have also heard that fishing line left can endanger wildlife, it may vary from city to city on the issue, i would appreciate any advice on the subject.

7. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have caught lots of cats on perch fished on top of the water. Put a weight on and add the hook about 6" below the weight. Then let out line until the weight is just under water. I tie to flexible tree limbs. You can hear the fish splashing at night and know when you need to check. I have also had success with a heavier weight on the bottom and 4 or5 hooks. I just like the top better, I seem to loose less bait and get good solid hook sets.

Jim

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Unless the laws have changed all you need to do to be legal is tag your poles. Check your rules and state regs. If I'm not going to keep my bank poles, I use willows. Otherwise It's my PVC. I love to see that green willow bent double in that big log pile. I set the willow on a main branch/trunk of any log I can get to by pounding nails in about half way in and bending them over so they hold my willow about one foot to three or four foot above the water. I want 2-4ft. of line in the water with what ever bait I'm using at the end. Always, always, always make your sets at a right angle to the water. I've seen guys walk along and stick their poles in straight up and down like they were planting trees. Minnows, gills, shad, leaches, cut bait, live preferably is good bait.
    Don