Help my new pup

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by Jerry60k, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have been blessed to have never had a sick dog but my new Jack Russel has me a little worried.

He is just laying around but still alert to everything around him and he will run if you take him out.
    Also he will drink water from a dropper but not from his bowl and wont eat.His breath smells horrible I am wondering if maybe his mouth is infected (he lost a tooth a couple days ago) cause he acts as if he wants to it but is scared to actually bite it.

His stools are solid and he doesn't strain much and he his thrown up a couple times yesterday evening and once this morning normal looking foamy throw up.

I have to call the vet tomorrow but was wondering if anyone may have experienced this.I have checked around the house and I don't see where he got into anything except maybe a crayon or 2 cause all dogs seem to love them things.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    (Mark post read)

Jerry just read your post. Need some more info.

Just how old a dog? Do mean a baby tooth? Have you just gotten the dog and from where-private home or kennel or puppy palace? Changed food? Are you sure about the crayons? What is the smell like-rot, sour, sweet? How often the vomiting and is it always foamy? It the abdomen bloated or tense? Does the dog chew blankets or bedding, any grass or other foreign objects or toys missing? Get back at ya later. Have some things to do.

For the time being restrict activity to just going outside. Hold off water. Do not attempt to feed just now. If hungry give some boiled degreased hamburger with some boiled rice. If thirsty let the dog lick ice cubes.

Keep that Vet appointment.

John.

3. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Good Luck with your pup Jerry! Keep us posted.

Thanks John

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    TY John

The pup is around 5 months old and has had his first set of shots already.The tooth he lost is I would guess a baby tooth it was one of his lower canine teeth.
    I have had him just over a month and have been feeding him consistently with Beneful and he only gets the occasional green bean or dog treats when I am working with him.

The vomiting hasn't been frequent at all today 1 time this morning when I took him out to do business and 2 times last night a couple hours apart and nothing since.He is acting a lot better but still refuses to eat or drink.

All his toys are still here and they are the rope bone type toys still in good shape.He did try to eat some poison ivy the other day but I got him off it before he could actually bite a piece off.

His stomach doesn't feel reel tight or swelled up any.

His breath has also gotten better since I first posted but it was rotten like dead animal rotten.

About the crayons its a full time job keeping him away and keeping the kids picking them up.

Also is it possible for a dog to get strep throat ? All my kids have had it the past 2 weeks.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you Jerry. That report makes it better in my mind for your pup. Actually things should be pretty good.

Restrict that food and ice water to small amounts for 24 hours. Sometimes a little pepto bismol orally with a syringe helps cool things down. If the belly is comfortable I doubt anything serious. The worst is a foreign body ,esp string or thread or yarn.

If he is loosing canines like kids they will chew crazy things although if they pica (eat foreign objects, like the crayons sometimes they have a constant belly ache, most often from worms. that I would say may be a problem you should check. Esp hookworms.)

No they can't get strep from the kids, just let him have some of the ice cream that the kids might be eating. LOL

John.

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Well just an update for this evening.

Jersey (the pup) is doing pretty good he got some solid food down and drinks on his own now.

Started pickin on the older dog we have again so I think he will be good.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Glad to hear that, Jerry!
    Bill in SC

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hope your pup gets better