Help my boat won't shift!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by APD1146, Apr 10, 2006.

1. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    HELP !!! After finally getting and adapting parts for my 1965 Merc 110hp I/O for the power tilt and trim and over coming the starting problems and about ready to go to Santee, I found another problem. She purrs ike a kitten and starts right up but. it won't shift. When I parked her last fall everything was fine, now it won't shift into reverse. Not having a manual for it and not knowing to much about them, I need help. There is some confusing info in the general Merc repair manual I have but not enough to really tell me what to do. They mention a switch of some kind and so on. I'm lost. Help please.

John

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Ok try this. Follow the cable back and have some one drop it in reverse. If it does not move undo the cable and put wd40 etc. down it. Then work it back and forth to loosen it up. Sounds like it is just stuck.
    Bill:)

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Now I see why a bunch of people hadn't jumped on this thread.:p

It does sound like what Bill said and I couldn't give you any better advise.

I'm not experienced with stern drive, and won't pretend to be.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is why I didn't comment. I don't know much about those type of set ups.

5. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I had the same type of problem on my Yamaha outboard awhile back last year. It got stuck in drive and would not come out of reverse. I followed the cables back to the motor and noticed that it was not moving back and forth like it should. I open her up and unscrewed the cover that holds the two cables (one for throttle and one for drive/reverse.) There was a screw missing and I replaced it so the cover would once again be tight to hold the cables in place. I am no expert by any means, but thought I would tell you what I did and found.

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have worked on and owned a number of Mercruiser I/O setups. I recommend you take this problem to a local Mercruiser tech to fix it. There are many, many reasons for this problem, some simple and some complex. It would not be wise to try to fix this problem without a good knowledge of Mercruiser setups, you could make the situatuation worse and much m ore expensive.

7. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I want to thank all that replyed to my post. After trying all I knew how to do I took it to the marina and it took a knowable person 3 minutes to find out it was a lever under the stern drive on the outside of the boat was not moving and he sprayed it and tapped it back and forth a few times and it shifted fine after that. I put in in right there and took a spin and it ran great. The only thing I could see wrong is it clunked a bit when putting it in gear. After putting it back on the trailer I had him look at it again and he made a few minor adjustment to the cable length and it was beautiful after that. He told me no charge as he knew a lot of the policemen I had worked with. I made him take a $20.00 bill regardless. He did reluctantly took from me. Hell that was the least I could do for all I learned alone. I guess I may make it to Santee after all.
    Again, Thanks for your replys. Tight lines to all.
    John

8. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Glad to see you got it fixed hoss, and alos glad to see there are still some good folks left out there that helped ya out!

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I helped a fella put on an out drive unit today and saw what you were talking about, and remembered why I decide a long time ago not to mess with them. I'm not a weight lifter or acrobat.

Remember what it was and keep it sprayed with a quality lubricant after a wash down.

You got away cheap with a twenty. It was good of you to make him take it.

10. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I will definately remember what I was shown. And for those who stated I should disconnet the shift cables, when I did they worked as smooth as silk. Not that any one was wrong and it made sense to me as well. We try what ever we feel will work. Again I thank all my bothers and sisters who responded. I learned a lot and that is what this sight is all about, helping others.
    I also want to thank George W. King for sending me the site where I can pick up a manual for this particular motor. Your e-mail was invaluable to me.
    Again thanks to everyone.
    I'm going fishing at Santee after all.
    John

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Glad it worked out for you. You did the right thing to have an knowledgable tech check it first before ripping it apart.