Help Me

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bushwhacker, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    They tell me the only STUPID question is the one that you don't ask!!! Let me start by saying most of my experience with cat fishing to date has been farm pond.
    My question is how can I tell one species of catfish from another, no smart a@# answers please!!!
    I am only trying get an education

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's not a stupid question at all. Mr.T has sent you in the right direction. Also, if you want, you can see some real life pictures of the different species in their particular sections on this board. If you want to see some flatheads, look at some of the pictures in the flathead forum, same for blues and channel cats. Hope this helps some. If you're fishing in ponds, you likely catching the channel cats and possibly some bullheads.

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just for reference right here, fatflattie's picture is of a flathead catfish. Myself and Mr. T's pictures are of blue catfish.

5. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Definitely not a stupid question. I have seen some catfish guides that had a hard time identifying some catfish. Look around on here and you will find all kinds of pics of flatheads, blues, and channels.

6. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Definitley a stupid question because with the fish we catch its not real hard at all to tell the species. It is the worldwide know species of Non-Existe.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    why reply if that is all you can say. Thats a stupid answer:angry:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree. If you can't reply with a sensible answer,don't reply!!! :angry:
    Maybe everybody doesn't know everything you know!!!:angry:

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Alow me to stick my foot into my mouth at this time. Im sorry I thought you were just shootin a nasty comment at him and I do appologize. Once again I am caught with my mouth open andc nothing inteligent came out :sad2: I did not realize yall knew each other

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That makes 2 of us!!! I'll make it up to you and I also apologize!!! :embarassed:
    Thats my bad,I've been under a lot of stress and I saw Terry's post and read yours and reacted before thinking. I'm sorry Dude!!! :0a33:

11. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    No problem guys. Just be careful catfishjohn who you cuss at in the future.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Bushwhacker! You will find all the info you need, and then some on this board!!:tounge_out:

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    check it out i am not trying to be a smarta$$ here but it is the easiest way to explain it. alright determining catfish is like this.
    Flathead catfish: Get upwards of 100+ lbs, can be mottled green/brown/yellow in color. have a very wide flat head and a huge mouth. also called shovel heads.
    Channel Cats: smaller than the flathead with a thicker rounded head. Are usually grey/silver but can also be brown. smaller ones have black spots on the back.
    Blue Cat: Can grow to 100+ lbs. Look very similar to channel cats, but get much bigger. Usually have a smaller mouth and looks like he has a double chin.
    Bullheads: small, dont really get more than a few lbs. green or brown backs with a yellow belly.
    Hope this helps out a little bit.