Help me....

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There is a park here in central Iowa where they stock rainbows into a pond / very small lake 3 times a year. Once in October, January and March. They usually stock about 1600 to 2000 catchable size rainbows at a time. They obviously are tanked raised and are use to being feed on a certain schedule. What would be best for catching these through the ice as far as bait goes....ive heard locals say that they have better luck using corn instead of the traditional trout baits because it is more similar to the type of feed they have been getting...any thoughts.
    They are stocking it this Friday at noon and I plan on being there friday afternoon and probably most of the day saturday.- Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated because I am very unfamiliar with trout fishing and all of the tricks of the trade that come with it.

Oh yeah, I also heard that since the trout have been tank raised they are likely to stay suspended or remain in shallow water because that is what they are use to and that they will usually tend to stay near the shore...is there any truth to this? Because if I didn't know better I would probably end up fishing off of the bottom like I usually do when I ice fish.

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    2 or 3 kernels of canned sweet corn on a #10 hook, very small bobber, no weight. Or try a similar sized dab of powerbait.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    when i was kid, my uncle and i went trout fishing, I use corn like 2 or 3 corn on hook.

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ive noticed when they stock here, the trout hang around where they are put in and hit the top of the water, and will bite just about anything for an hour or so( a small bucktail spinner is deadly at this time). then for a day or 2 its hard finding them and they are finicky. after a couple days and they are settled down they mostly hang around the deepest water and are on bottom and its easier to catch them. Mainly powerbait or corn works best. velveeta cheese flavored with garlic is good too. i prefer powerbait in yellow color, but have rainbow, white, and pink in my arsenal too. if theres no wind, I use a #6 or #8 aberdeen hook about a foot below just enough split shot needed to cast, if its windy, i use one of those bubble corks that you fill with water. ultralight with 4-6 pound test works best. im goin in the mornin n see if theres any left from the jan. 10th stocking.

My question to everybody is, do these trout really not survive the warm water temperature?

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I think just very few of them survive once it warms up, here on the Smith around my neck of the woods there is a great natural brown population. And an even smaller amount of natural trout and brooks. Some of them do survive but it is very few. The smith is a tailrace that feeds off the bottom of Philpott Lake which is 300 feet deep in some places. Keeps the water very cool and helps the trout live.

Wheelmobile07

6. orchardhills

orchardhills New Member

State:
    CA
    I've had great success using mealworms and marshmellows for planted trout. Most people here use Power Bait. I wouldn't use anything bigger than 4 pound line.

7. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    up here in idaho i have had the best luck early mornin and late evening. fish in anywhere from 1-8 feet of water. during the day they like to stack up in the deeper holes. i dont know how many rods you can use but we use 5 a piece. we let 4 of them sit and jig one of them from the bottom to the top. i have had alot of trout actually come up the hole and hit at the top of the water. most of our setups are a cast master with a trout magnet or some other type of tube jig or somthing. tip both of the jigs with something this is were we bring out the buffet line. mealworms waxworms crawlers marshmallows cheese powerbiat ............ you get the idea. last weekend we caught about 70 or so in about 3 hours.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Todd you're in luck. My favorite Uncle and his best friend travel around the state chasing the trout delivery truck each year lol. They are both retired and love to fish. He took me and my cousin last year to one of the lakes he'd been fishing for a week. He made us use Power bait, it came in a jar like play-dough. You pulled off a pinch and molded it around a treble hook. We used pink and flourescent green, fished on bottom and under a float near the bottom. In 4 hours (after a weeks worth of fishermen) we caught 9 fish. They all were within 9ft of the bank. No ice though, cold as hell, but ice free water.

9. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    We have similar lakes here that are stocked. I've had good luck on powerbait, corn and nightcrawlers.

10. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    We use a very light weight and canned corn, not cream style. I have had
    good luck in pay lakes as well as mountain streams. Never got into fly fishing.

11. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Minnows have worked here in some Ohio lakes very well fished undeer a bobber at various depths and lately popeye jigs with any natural <1/2 minnow, mealworm, worm> as well as the above methods are used. My buddy usually maxes out and he fishes a lot. My 2 free days a week I had been doing well with the 4 trout limit in place at this lake until the past 2 outings. Still fun and I hope this helps.

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    These stocked trout supposedly wont last through the summer when the water temp heats up. thus my arguement for stocking indigenous fish instead such as crappie. However, someone told me they heard on the radio that the biologists are expecting these trout to begin to adapt over time and hopefully thrive and propogate. now that would be cool. anyone know anything on this?

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Try useing a Small rooster tail are something in that line more fun than waiting for a fish to bite :smile2: But If you use live bait try 2or3 pcs of corn tiped on a powerbait At times they will perfer one color over another:smile2:

14. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks everybody for all of your help and suggestions. I got my limit of 5 fish within 15 minutes of fishing. It wasn't really what I had anticipated my first trout experience to be....it actually seemed like cheating and unsportsman like in a way. There isn't a whole lot of challenge of catching 5 in a small lake, in the same spot where the fish truck just dumped 1500 fish 2 hours earlier.

All of the fish were holding about 2 feet under the ice and you could actually see them take your bait....it would be a great experience for a child or someone who is new to fishing but like I mentioned it wasn't a real challenging outing.

This was my first time catching trout and I was really amazed on how strong of fighters they are. I look forward to catching them again soon but hopefully in a more natural environment like a small river or stream.

Thanks for all the info.