help me

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by selfishboy22, Apr 3, 2009.

1. selfishboy22

selfishboy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i am just starting at fishing in general. i as of right now have a 5'5" ugly stick spincast combo. i was looking into getting a rig for catfishing for cheap. can anyone help me out? also what kind of baits/lures should i use? also i am thinking of going to madison lake is this a good place to go catfishing? any advise would be nice.

thanks,
    steve

2. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    What you have right now is just fine to get started. That should be plenty for eating size cats in a lake. Lot's of bait options out there. Crawlers, chicken livers, dip baits, cut bait etc.. are all good baits to catch catfish. Once you get some experience under your belt you can get something a bit heavier and go for some larger fish. There is a lot of great info here to read. Lots of top notch fisherman here and lots of nice folks to help you out. Hope that helps! Good luck!

3. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Steve. You'll find alot of great info here and probably find some new friends too. Madison Lake is a great place to start catfishing. Plenty of Channels and Bullheads to catch there. For bullheads try near the handicap platform on the southeast side of the lake above the spillway. For channels try the point just north of there that juts out or the beach area. The smaller cats there like nightcrawlers and chicken liver and the larger ones like cut shad and big hunks of liver. Good luck!

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the BOC steve! You will find all the info you need here to get started!

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    a cheap rig if you're into spincasting would be the catfish rigs at wal-mart called the hawg seeker. the zebco alarm ones come with a sturdy rod and decent quality reel. it'll catch a huge fish if you use it right. i think they go for 40 bucks for the combo. other than that if you can find a shakesspeare sturdy stik rod those will go for under 20 bucks. couple it with a zebco 808 and you might get under that $40 mark.

6. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC, read up! You will learn quickly from these guys.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC from Indiana, Steve. There has been some good advice posted above, start out cheap and learn to fish for cats. Then you can move into a little bigger and more expensive gear as you progress and can afford it.
    I dont know what UglyStik model you have or what spinning reel is mounted on it, but you are gonna want to start with something in the 6' to 7', medium to medium/heavy range, and a strong reel with around 20# test line. The Zebco Hawg Seeker combo seems to be popular and is available at Walmart. Cabelas and BassPro also have their versions of catfish combos.
    Get yourself some assorted 2/0 to 5/0 hooks to start off with, and some assorted 1/2 to 2 oz bank sinkers for lake fishing on the bottom, and maybe some big slip bobbers and 1/2 to 1 oz egg sinkers for suspended fishing. You will need some decent rated swivels and maybe some 3 way swivels.
    There are some good posts in the library on different rigging and knots. Its worth your time to check them out.
    These are pretty much the basic items you will need. You dont have to buy mass quntities, just get yourself enough to get started and see how it goes from there. Good luck!

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Shakespear contender is a decent rig, you can get them at Wally World for about 30 - 40

9. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    welcome to the boc steve, depends on what you are going to be fishing for as to what gear you will need, if the lake just has channels what you have should be sufficient, if there are flats your are gonna need something a little bigger, all the other suggestions are good combos, good luck this year, any questions just ask and we will try and help

10. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcom to the BOC steve, keep comeing back youll find a lot of helpfull stuff here