Help me with my plans for two saturdays later

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by NABO, Jun 26, 2007.

1. NABO

NABO New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    I want to go catfishin for the first time on my own, of course i will have someone with me but I will be doing the work...

What lake should I go to?
    What bait? How do I get them?
    What time of the day? night?
    Which part of the lake?
    Should I fish for all types of cats? Live Baits for Flats?

Yeah i am an inexperienced catfisherman but want to start somewhere to reach my goal of being a pro catfisherman!!! Without you guys, it wont be possible!!

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Try posting a little more info about your trip,what area of NC. you want to fish.Bluegills are great flatty bait.Make sure you use the right size hooks 6/O or larger. Are you bank or boat fishing ECT. Give a bit more info about yourself,and I am sure you will recieve a ton of great tips & helpful advice. :006: GOOD LUCK :0a1: :0a1: :0a1: Welcome to the BOC

3. NABO

NABO New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Yeah I had to go with my wife to her thing and i didnt have time to type in more info!!!

I live in Monroe NC (southeast of Charlotte)
    I will use my 18 ft bass tracker 75hp ( it got 10 rodholders)
    5 brand new abu graca 6000 combos
    got few different catfish rigs (walker rig and egg sinker sort of like carolina rig)
    mustad catfish hooks from walmart

did some catfishin at some ponds used bream, frogs, and hot dogs as baits
    caught me many channels around 8 to 10lbs

I know the basic of catfishing but want to go to the next level of catfishing by fish for them from my new boat. I went on a guide fishing at Santee Cooper once and fell in love with this kind of sport. Want to make it my weekend thing:wink:

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Welcome to the board! I mainly fish Badin and Tillery which are up the road from you not too far. If you are going to these lakes, let me know and I will try to help you out. Are you targeting flatheads or blues? Can you throw a cast net? If not, I would suggest learning. To be a good cat man, you need to understand where the fish are, why they are there and what you need to do to catch 'em. Keep this in mind and you'll do fine. Time on the water is your greatest learning tool. Don't be afraid to try different things. If one area or technique isn't working, then adjust to what you think will work. For flatheads, use live brim or perch, for blues, use live and cut shad and they will also hit brim and perch. Shoot me a PM is you need some info. I'll be camping on Badin this weekend with my son and will be glad to help you out if you go fishing this weekend. let me know. see ya

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Just come up hwy 85 and put in at highrock and get their right before dark and use some worms catch some bait/bluegill,perch or crappie keep them alive ,fish on the bottom 15' to shallow in coves around some structure and you'll catch some flatheads and channells .

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Hey, just what to say welcome to BOC.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Nathan! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family l'il brother! We're glad to have you :big_smile:! And fellers, what's wrong with Lake Norman? If I were you Nathan, I'd PM LakeNormanBlues (you have to have ten posts before you can PM anybody). He should be able to give you some great info and advice, and I don't think he'd mind a bit.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Head on over to Wylie and fish!! You got the best chance of finding cats there than on any other local lake. If you time it out to a day I am around I can point you to some creeks where the fish are biting now.

If you fish Wylie I would suggest bream heads. You can catch the bream about anywhere on Wylie along sandy banks. If they are not at the first place move around some.

Let me know when you are heading out and maybe I can help you out. If it is the 7th I will probably be on the water that morning.

9. NABO

NABO New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Thanks for the tips!!

Its neat to know that there are friends who's willing to help!!

No wonder why its called Brotherhood of Catfishermen!!!

10. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I would have to agree with Wyliecat on going to Wylie as a place to start. You have a good chance to catch alot of catfish and try to figure out ways to find them. Ive only been fishing freshwater for about 2 years now and have learned alot from trying to find the fish on Wylie. Bait is easy to catch (bream) from almost any landing or dock. We have many 20 fish days only fishing 4-5 hours. I mostly fish from 5am till about 11am or at night. If you fish at night BE CAREFULL.

Good luck, and let us know when and where and if Im out there Ill try to help with what little knowledge I have.

11. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    hey nathan right now on high rock the flats and channels are biting in shallow flats with lots of cover on them i have been catching channels and a flat on live bream and cut bream. most flats and are being caught on the upper end of high rock right now mainly cause of boat traffic is lower up there and the is alot of shallows and log jams

12. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Welcome to the BOC!!!!!! Form Alabama!

13. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Have you decided where to go????

14. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Nathan if you live in Monroe, Blweets falls isn't too far. Badin and Tillery would be my next choice. As for your weekend fishing thing. You probley do better on the weekdays. Not as many boaters on the water. It just takes time on the water and using what you learn to good use. Badin and Tillery offer your best chance for a trophy cat.

15. sclariat

sclariat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am new also Nathan to the board, long time lunker. Welcome! You will not find a better bunch of people in the world who share their knowledge of how, where, when, etc. It is a special brotherhood here. They will impress you.