Help me with info on Bald Eagles?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by lilpaducah, Nov 21, 2007.

1. lilpaducah

lilpaducah New Member

State:
    IN
    I live on the Tippy River & we have a Bald Eagle here with her 2 juveniles, anyone know much about the Eagles? They are so awesome to watch ! Their nest is so HUGE !!!!!!

2. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    I hear the spook very easy,so i would watch from afar off. Can you post some pics of them?

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes , THEY ARE VERY COOL aren't they?. we have some that slip by about 3-4 times every year from over Alton way they are a Great sight! a simple Google search will tell just about anything you could want to know on them. If you have a nesting pair especially with kids, you have a rare place to get to go, just remember that they and where they are are protected (i'm sure you know that) if they are something new to that area and not many know you may want to let the DNR know they are there, so they can keep an eye on them. Sad to day but seems like every year some MORON makes the papers for shooting one. Video camera and tri-pod, take the kids if ya have any, great to watch them (I think anyway) your right about the nest, huge aren't they, big enough to hide in..LOL. get some pics for all, here is a pic of an adult and juvenile eating on an old carcass (taken from a friends trail camera)
    [​IMG] afc5.jpg (19.5 KB)

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Can't be of much help, but I did see 6 bald eagles while fishing on the Missouri River east of KC last sunday. Pretty awesome birds!

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    We have a lot of them show up around the Clarksville Dam in Dec and Jan.Beatiful bird to watch.When it turns cold they come down this way then when it starts warming up the go back to Alaska and cold weather.A few will stay around all year but not many. I may be wrong but I believe the same pair mate every year and they use the same nest.Did you know it takes 5 years for an Eagle to get the white head and tail. Get on the net you'll learn a lot about them.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    she is lucky, i seen the eagal while i was there for thanksgiving. she can watch it on its nest from her front window. im not a bird guy, but i must admit they are pretty cool looking. i cant help either ma but im sure you will be helped on here.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Just type in Bald Eagles on the Net you'll get all the info you want .All kinds of good stuff there.and beatiful pictures also.

8. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    they are some beautiful creatures.

9. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I live on the Ohio River in West Point, 38 miles from Louisville, and we have Bald Eagles that come back every year. You can start seeing them in the fall and during the winter. Their nest is down river from me and I saw it for the first time from boat about 2 weeks ago, and yes it is huge. The juveniles so not seem to be as scittish as the adults as I have one that will sit in the tree by my house and watch me when I am outside cutting wood. We were fishing today across the river from their nest and was able to see 1 soar in and land in the nest. Gives you goose bumps. The first year I was here, at 8:30 - 9:00 every morning the adult would head upstream. You could set your clock by him/her. They do command the sky when they are soaring, so majestic. I just tried to attach a picture of their nest, don't know if it will work or not as I have been pretty unsuccessful with this.
    Enjoy them as you are very lucky to have the priviledge to watch them!

Linda

Attached Files:

10. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    nice pic ... kinda small linda ... but u can definitely tell the nest is huge .. thanks

11. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    WE were going down river and my zoom lens is minimal. Maybe next year when I pay this bad boy off, I can get a bigger zoom!!! :tounge_out:

12. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    linda now u should know where a good honey hole is now!!!

13. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    that's the same nest, we were probably out there right next to you guys today. I know we were too close to the shore. My boyfriend is going to have a knee replacement as soon as VA gets it together and he is in alot of pain with it. doesn't want to be too aggressive with his fishing right now and we left earlier than what we normally do

14. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Eagle are awsome birds... I have 5 that live at an abandoned gravel pit where i fish... they dont seem to mind be being around but they are proud birds and they will let you know they are there... I see them catch 10# carp right in front of me.. I think they like to show off a little too.... I had a few photos but not really sure what happened to them... what exactly did you want to know

15. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    There is a spot about 3 miles south of Spencer Indiana on the West Fork of White River where I paddle my canoe to camp & fish. There is a family of Eagles nesting there. I see them every trip I have made ther in the last three years. There has been times when I was able to tie up within 50 - 60 yards from them and watch them with binoculars eat fish on the river bank. It is always one adult and one young. ( the young doesn't get their white feathers for about 2 years or so.) It is nice to see them making a comeback here in Indiana.

16. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree Bill. It is nice to know they are here.. and even on an off day of fishing they are pretty injoyable to set back and watch...

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have a ver large group of eagles around her and I have spent many a cold afternoon watching em....they are truly a amazing bird and a definite sighn of strength

18. lilpaducah

lilpaducah New Member

State:
    IN
    Thanks everyone for answering my thread, I haven't been on here for a while, sorry I haven't answered you back. The eagle is great to watch , as many of you said & have seen. I have a professional photographer coming to take great pics, I will put them on here when I get them. Take care & Merry Christmas to you all.:wink:

19. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    all i know about them is that they are beautiful and really tasty (just kidding)

20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.