Help me settle an argument

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Mr Twister, May 22, 2007.

1. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Are bluegill legal for bait in OH? I say yes, my buddy says no. He says they are gamefish and gamefish cannot be used for bait. I can find no such law in the regs.

I do know that other states I've lived in have regulations concerning this, but the published OH regs are so vague and nonspecific that the only law I see about bait is how many minnows or crawfish one can posess.

What is the law about bluegill (or other species for that matter), and where can I find it in writing?

Thanks.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I dont think you can use gills if you catch em in a castnet. I think they have to be caught using rod and reel.

I may be wrong though.

4. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    [
    bluegill are legal bait in oh as long as u catch them on rod/reel

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Fish caught by legal angling methods (such as bluegills caught by hook and line) may be used for bait.

From the verbiage, that would include bullheads, crappie and bass as well.

6. philcat

philcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    this is waht I have got.
    Wildinfo" View Contact Details Add Mobile Alert
    To: "philip ehrnschwender"
    You are correct as long as you originally caught them by hook/line.

You cannot net/seine gamefish.

Any other questions contact 800-WILDLIFE

WILD INFO

7. philcat

philcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    some bait shops sale gills for bait. I know of two small shops place a wholesaler shop. but why pay when you can cacth them free.

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Any game fish can be used in Ohio for bait. It has to be of legal size and caught be legal means as per species. Game fish can not be netted or snagged in Ohio waters. So don't use your cast net for gills. Now in a private pond I would imagine anything goes. But it doesn't say it anywhere.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have researched this before and what the Loanwizard says is gospel. If you catch it on rod and reel and it legal to keep then you can use it for bait. Be it bass, crappie, smallmouth,walleye, muskie whatever. There are restrictions on certain lakes as to size limits of certain fish say bass, crappie and such so all you have to do is make sure its of legal size to have on a stringer and take home, and you are allright. Also be aware of creel limits. So take all those bass the high and mighty are tossing back and use them for flathead baits, they really struggle on a hook late at night lol.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Yup what they said :lol:, one question tho and Ive seen th expression "what is creel"? is that a crawdad?

11. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Gary creel limit is the amount of a certain species that you can have in your possession at one time.

12. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I've spoke with a game warden that patrols Delaware Lake. He said the bait used must be caught in the lake your fishing in. Another words you can't catch bluegill at Delaware and transport them to Alum to fish with. All the other comments are correct, if legal size caught by legal means - hook and pole, according to that game warden.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    skip once told me even gar and bowfin work lol:lol: i think he was lying what do yall think?:confused2:

14. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Thats what Ive always thought and heard

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rollo, I said I had to use a baby gar once cause I didn't have any other bait lol. I have caught bowfin in my net but don't have the nerve to try and hook one for bait lol.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Gary back in the old days trout fisherman carried a small wooden or woven reed basket slung on a strap on their shoulder to carry any fish caught while wading the streams, it is called a creel. A creel limit nowadays is the number of fish you have kept, or are allowed to keep on a certain body of water. There is a limit of 30 perch per day on lake erie. 4 walleye per day, A 5 bass limit on dillon.

17. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    when my kids and i go fishing they'll catch some small gill's and give them to me for bait, so i'm glad to know it's legal.