Help me quit smoking!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Netmanjack, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OK friends, I'm going to give it a try. I have been smoking for over forty years. I have been cutting down over the last year hoping to make it easer. My good old Dr.( who thought I had already quit because I didn't smell so smoky) ask me if I wanted the help of a newer drug called CHANTIX. I agreed and was grateful for the help. I started my program yesterday and have a quit date set for Jan 28. Has any one succeeded with this approach? Don't tell me all of the bad things it can do to you I have already seen it on the news.lol Every pill I take has the same ones! lol. OK I'm not joking, I have heard that you need some support in this kind of endeavor. I have some wonderful grandchildren, and I want to be around for a while, they need me...:wink:

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Good luck, Jack! There are several here that have used that and quit. Hope they respond to you. You might want to do a search for Chantix, and see what posts you come up with, here.

I need to quit too, but not right now. I've been smoking for 35 years.

Good luck!
    Cheryl

P.S. I know that insurance companies don't usually pay for any new drugs without prior authorization, but seems to me they would WANT to help with this one. I haven't heard of any that do yet. Anyone else?

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I started on Chantix a couple weeks ago and so far it's been great. I think this will be my time to quit. After it gets in your system, 1-3 weeks, it takes away the cravings. It's still hard to drink my coffee in the morning without one, but the one I had this morning is all I've smoked all day. Good luck with your program.

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Brother I wish you the best of luck with this,better yet I'll keep you in my prayers,
    keep us up to date with your progress my friend,:cool2:

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Jack... I quit back in July.. You just have to make up your mind to do it and stop.. I bought some tootsie roll pops and sucked on them.. Then last month I weened myself off of the candy... I started smoking in 1965.. I was up to 3 to 3 1/2 packs a day.. You just tell yourself that its mind over matter.. The cigarettes ain't gonna win, I am.. Good luck Buddy..

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Best of luck, Jack... I smoked for 40+ years before quitting some time back. Believe me, you won't regret it.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wish you lots of luck ,quit for 7 months gained 55# gave up ,started back ,now on diet chantx will work though good luck ! :roll_eyes:

8. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i guess th best way to quit is to spend a week in the hospital with pneumonia and get diagnosed with emphisema . it worked for me :big_smile: :cool2:

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Good luck to ya Jack. Hope it works out for ya. Thinking about trying to quit again myself. I made it almost a year the last time before I had a brain cramp.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good luck,Jack. You have my support. I cant say bout the chantix,But I quit dippin a few years ago on Welbutrin,But I started back after a few months guess I let it get to me .

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    good luck to anyone that wants to quit smoking!!! i have never smoked so i cant say i know how you feel but i have seen my friends and family in pore health because of them!! my grandfather made sure i wouldnt smoke when i was about 5 years old he packed a pipe with tabbaco and lit it for me .. i took a big ole puff and turned green then purple then yellow and back to green before i puked everywere!!!!!! i have thanked him every day of my life for doing that to me!!! :smile2:i dont know if i could do it to my kids tho...:wink:

12. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jack, I too need help!I did the math,and I spend 96.00 a week on smokes.If I bought a nice catfish boat I would have to quit!! Good luck to you brother.smokey

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jack ole buddie, now lets get this deal on . I have been a smoker for 52 years. For the last 10 of those it has been any where from 2 packs to 3 packs a day. Many of the guys on here can tell you when I fished with them it was like petes smoker running along side us.
    6 weeks ago my daughter heard me say I am thinking of trying the new pill Chantix. She jumped all over this since she is a non smoker.
    You can not do it on shear will power. You have to have something to help.
    I started on them 5 weeks ago and I can proudly say I am down to 2 cigerates a day. I don't smoke all of them two. I may take two or three puffs off those and throw the rest away.
    I started out by not smoking early in the am. When I got my body used to that then I cut out any after 3 in the afternoon. I got used to that now I only light one when I get the urge between 1030 am and 230 pm. I will soon take that down one smoke and cut the hours down to. I don't allow myself any after eating and that was the hardest but I did survive it. It ain't easy even with the pills but they do help on curbing the wants. I haven't been cranky at all and I am feeling much better in my breathing, I can smeel again and no more stopped up nose. I will beat this jack and my body and my wallet is already reaping the benifits.

14. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    jack let me know if it works.i've tried everything but havent herd of this drug.i have smoked for 24 years.

15. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    does this chantix have any side affects

16. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I used the chantix last year. I quit for 6 months and screwed up and started again. I took it for 1 week then quit smoking. I stopped taking the chantix 3 weeks after stopping smoking. I smoked 1-1 1/2 packs a day then. I still had cravings but wasn't bad. I did put on about 10-15 lbs, but I needed it.
    The only side effect I noticed was the dreams. It wasn't so much I remembered them more, they were so real. Like I was awake and living the dream.

My older sister took chantix. 1 1/2 years without a smoke. 2 pack a day habit.
    My mom took chantix. just over 1 year without a smoke. 2 pack a day habit.
    My brother took chantix. 1 year without a smoke. 2 pack a day habit.
    I am only 1 to backslide and i did go 6 months, longest time without a cigarette in 35 years.
    Good luck quitting, wish I still was.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sure does Robert but nothing you can't deal with and nothing that is permanent

18. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Hey Reload,
    I dip about two cans of Copenhagen Long Cut a day. Have since I was 15. Now, I'm 37 and still have both lips. I hear from my dentist that if I keep it up, it won't be long before I can't say that. How long did it take the Welbutrin to start working? I play alot of bluegrass at pig pickings and parties , and it ain't a good thing to sing like "Lipless". Not to mention that a spit cup on stage isn't cool either. Any wisdom on quitting dipping?
    Bigwhiskers

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I smoked for 30 years and quit cold turkey Sept. 2006 and never went back. I cant even stand the smell of them now, Good luck to all here trying to quit, if I did it anyone can.

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    good luck brother, know u got it in you!