help me plz

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by STALLIONDUCK, Jun 2, 2008.

1. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i was fishing the other day out of a little channel that runs on the south side of the lake system thing lol well i set my poles for some cats and was walking around and i got down to this point where there were like penisulas peaking out and there was a little stream thru there and in the channel and that stream there were enourmnous carp swimming around. well the year before in a fishing derby i caught a 12 pounder out of there well there were ones that were twice that size:dribble: (length anyway). so i packed up and brought my stuff down there and casted a pole out for cats and one for carp with a worm on it. *(i was using a bobber with a worm 8 in below) well after reeling in a very nice cat i started to get taps on my other pole well all of sudden i heard "PLOP" and looked over and my bobber was gone and my pole was coming out of the rod holder so i grabbed it and yanked and i missed the hook set. so if anybody could gimme tips on how to set the hook better or what baits or what rigs to use i would be very thankful.

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

i as well am new to carp fishing but ive been doing alot of research within the last couple weeks

if u need advise on bait ( corn, bread, dough baits are awsome and easy to use)

( are u using mono or braid?????)
    if u need advise on rigs and hook sets (small hook like #12 treble or #6 baitholder does wonders...( carp have very soft and sensitive mouths so a easy swing on the pole will hook them fine...when the rod bends over a little like when u fight a fish u set it enough ( i made that kinda confusing but in time ull get the feel of it )

light line ( small diameters ) is key for leaders because you dont want the fish fo feel it...

10LB mono or something like power pro will be exenent

my suggestion to your next outing is to take bread or corn and pratice the ART of freelining in simple terms its your reel, line and hook no wieght wat so ever.... that makes the bait look as natural as possible http://www.fishingexpert.co.uk/freelining.html

happy carping to ya and im in your shoes cause theres 3ft carp in a channell that boats sit it and is a turist attraction........ biggiesr one ive seen so far was 39 inches but he was dead and on shore :eek:oooh:

3. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Welcom to the boc. Carp are not a picky fish @ all. Bait is'nt an issue here, setting the hook is! Next time you give carp fishing a try, leave about a foot and ahalf of slack in your line. This allows the fish to swim with the bait for a ways. You might also want to try a particular rig set up that i use for both cats and carp. Slip an 1oz egg sinker on your main line, tie on a snap swivel then attach a 1 foot piece of mono as a leader with a # 2 bait holder by eagle claw. This set up allows the fish to pick up your bait and swim away without feeling any tension from the weight and the little bit of slack in your line keeps them from feeling any tension from your rod. By the time the slack is run out, they usually hook themselves. Best of luck and let me know if it worked for ya!:0a26:

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey jd i never set my pole down while carp fishing, but a lot of folks do, especially with the european style rigs. it seems like if i hold the rod i get a steady pull, if i set it down they will try and take off with it.

welcome to the boc from amarillo, texas!

5. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks a lot guys. i don't when i'll be able to go back out its been raining like crazy around abingdon il. where i live. but next time i go up there i'll try those ways out. but i was first fishing for bullheads and channel cats so all the bait i had was dip bait and worms well that 12 pounder was caught on a worm so i thought it might work. but i'll tell ya wut when i saw those carp swimming i about had a heartattack lol they were huge and there had to of been 17-20 of them swimming in one spot. so thanks again

6. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Just wanted to tell ya that what i said will work, 100% guarantee. The carp are still spawning right now, that's why they hang out in groups like that this time of year. Good luck bro!

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    welcome to the boc.