Help ME Please

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by dubzero23, Jun 15, 2009.

1. dubzero23

dubzero23 New Member

State:
    california
    Ok I went in to basspro shop this weekend ad bought a bill dance catfish series pole, how ever I told the guy that worked there that i was new to fishing and it was way to crouded to wait for them to put line on it long story short is that its a casting reel how in the heck to you cast it out with out the line getting tangled up! OMG I tried to practice and its impossable! Please Help Me:crazy:

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Its all about thumb control. Place your thumb on the spool and when you throw release your thumb, soon as the line makes impact with the water, or ground since you are practicing place your thumb back on the line spool this will prevent backlast and then let the line unwind as it goes to the bottom. This wil take pratice its like learning how to drive a 5 speed. But once you get it, it becomes second nature and you will be casting without even thinking about it.

I learned by practice casting in teh street and the back yard years ago. My neighbors use to look at me like crazy. LOL.

3. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    Practice, practice, practice .... like bluehunter said, it's all about the thumb.

Also, check to make sure the spool tension is correct for the weight you are using. There should be and adjustment knob. Set it so that if you hold the rod out with the weight at the end and release the spool, the weight should fall slower than freefall, but not much slower.

Hope this helps

4. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    when ya get it down real good you will be able to swing the rod as hard and fast as a baseball bat

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    lesson # one comes in kitchen.
    sit in chair and adjust tension. this is done by knob on center of plate opposite handle. you want it so your weight will drop to floor at controlled speed. not too fast, not to slow. now loosen fraction.
    2. still stay in chair. reel weight up to tip of pole. place thumb on spool and put in free spool like you're gonna cast. slowly release pressure of thumb and weight will drop. continue to sit there until you can each time let that weight free fall, then using thumb, stop it just short of weight toughing floor.
    3. got that down, move outside and start with short cast. i mean 10 to 20 ft ones. thumb pressure is the whole key. practice. still backlashing? head back to kitchen and chair and start over.
    i practice like this quite often. still get a few snarls though.
    gary

6. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

Everybody pretty well covered it. About the only thing I would add is that it has to be a smooth toss. I found out if I really tried to fling it across the river I always had problems. If I tossed it I seemed to do better. Best thing to do is practice, practice, practice. And remember if you fish at night, you can't see when your line hits the water. So practice at night too. I think you'll like it once you get it down. I love my baitcasters.

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    ridgerunner has a good point. you can not do the whippy/jerk cast until you are reeeaal familiar with the pole do a long smooth arc that keeps pressure on the line and follow all the way through so the lure is on its way and never stops pulling on the line.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, I should make a video,, "How to mess up a cast" ,, it really doesn't matter what kind of reel it is for me,,LOL
    But, the cast control knob is a good thing to know about and learn the proper settings,, which,, by the way,, will change a bit with different weight baits.. but, not a hard thing..

and, the tips about smooth arc,, best understood in my brain,, "I can't push the line"
    let the bait pull the line off the reel,,,, get some ,,,hang time on your cast!! kinda lob it.

Good Luck,,,,,And,,,, Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Like the man says..... I did a lot of "pitching" in the backyard with my kittycat....

The truth of the matter is it is easy to talk about, but when it all happens, there are often times when the wind is working real good, and you have friends in the boat.... Casting is more than just going forward... sometimes you have to "back cast" and other wierd things....

Practice... practice ... practice..... and keep the mechanizm on the reel clean..... Hell... I even threw my rod into the water once or twice... I jumped in and got em down 6-8 feet even with the trolling motor still on.... should have seen the look on my buddies face when I jumped in.....LOL

Bayrunner Ray

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Off the subject here..... Scott.. Bulldogbuggers.... have you looked into getting a cleat for the front of your boat...??

here are some examples...

Bay Runner Ray

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those are all great tips, but most off all jus dont igve up, we have all been there. :smile2:

12. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Go get em dogg! Saturday might have to call ya bulldogblueboogers.:smile2:

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Yea Big bulldog - You get out there and:
    "Do The D@m Thing"!!!
    & Remember
    "It's all Stuckcoo & Texture Baby"!!! :cool2: (lol)
    :wink:
    Good Luck out there Dog,:cross:
    Bert

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    It is all STUCCO AND TEXTURE...... CLASSIC! I needed a good laugh:wink:

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Like you,ve heard,keep the tension knob up til you get used to it,that,s gonna cut your distance but it,ll also cut them backlashes.Your thumb will get educated,Don,t give up.It,s one of them deals like learning to ride a bike,it comes to you and you got it forever!:wink:

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I fished Demongs.... good shit! Like to try your xxx bait. Let us know how it works.

17. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Is that XXX blood like a stink bait or is it a liquid to dip your bait in. Can't tell from the picture. What was doing better that bait in the picture or the mac n cheese? I haven't been back out, but I may go out Saturday night. Will post some pics if I go, hopefully not of a skunk.

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Scott, I believe the net with the bent handle is mine. Sean borrowed it for the gathering:wink:

19. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Yup that'd be Robb's net. I left it in your truck I believe. You gotta net at least 20 cats before you bring it back.:wink:

20. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Well Bulldog, it's Friday. Get out there and get that hog. I want to see a bluecat on your avatar.:wink: