help me pick which mono

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by FATDAD, Aug 11, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    i am new to catching flatheads or any big fish:smile2: i am trying to find a good mono in 30# or 40# i have tried cajen red and exel did not like either i fish mainly lakes and i use 6500s if that matters thanks

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    berkley big game:cool2:

3. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    For what its worth I have 12lb Ande tournament mono on my 6500 with a long 20lb topshot,also Ande tournament mono.It is the best mono I have used hands down.Zero memory and much more resistant to rubs and breakoffs.

The big Cajun red is good for leaders.....I use the 50lb on my big rod
    along with Ande 20lb tournament as a main line.

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Charles i like AN 40 IN A 25LB TEST it usest to be called silver thread ,but it is a small dia,line an very absion restant ,also u can get a spool of 3000 yards i think it is for around 35.00 dollars off ebay

5. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    BBG

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i like AN40 line it was name silver thread when i started using it ,it is a coplymar line cast good ,small dia,an very resistant to cut an knickes ,also u can gett like a 3000 yard spool for around 30 dollars

sorry for the double post i thought i lost the first one :embarassed:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would suggest Berkley Big Game Solar. Great stuff and easy to see.[/B]

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use berkly big game in 25-lb test for flatheads

9. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    is power pro considered a mono since it's braided micromono?

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I like ande in 40lb test......it's plenty strong, limp for it's diameter, and ties a good knot............oops......I just saw that you're gonna line up a 6500, 40lb won't work real well on a 6500. I would go with big game, nothing over 30.....and the higher you go the more casting distance you will loose if that might be important to you? for some reason I don't like the smaller test ande line? I've used 20lb ande on my 6500's and seems like it wasn't very abbrasive resistant. The ande 40lb and 50lb work great on my penns and my 7000's.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well only other i can think of is Trilene Big Game..:wink:

12. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    What Mikey said, in a 30lb:wink:
    Puddle

13. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    I live in the louisville area and i fish the ohio river alot for flatheads and blues. Ive used berkley big game and ande mono both. they are good line, but i now only use Offshore Angler Tight line. It has a smaller diameter ans to mee is stronger than any other mono ive used over the years. I use 30#& 40#. Anything heavier an' ill just use braid. Plus that tight line is cheaper in cost.

14. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    If braid is out of the question for you I would recommend berkely big game mono. I use 50 lb power pro as a mainline but always use the big game mono for a leader to my hook. What i didn't like about using mono as a mainline was that it didn't cast as far was way thicker which meant less line on the reel, had way more stretch then i wanted (you need some to avoid breakoffs) and didn't last half as long as power pro.

15. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    After last nights catch,a 79lber on 20lb mono,Im gonna again strongly suggest you give Ande tournament line a chance.This line has been bulletproof for me ever since I started using it.I have found BBG to be
    much over rated as I used it in saltwater for a while and never cared for it.I had around 50 to 60 yds of this 20lb mono out along with a long 50lb cajun leader and it held up like a champ.To me the proof is in the results.I checked the line today as it is around 2 months old and I cant find a mark on it.Now,another thing you should consider is a long leader of atleast 50lb mono.I recommend you use the red cajun.The line isnt great as a main line,but is very strong as a leader.When I got the fish close enough to have the cajun back on the reel...(a 9000 ABU) I was able to horse the fish in on the second try.These were tied together with an albright knot.
    Im sold on this set-up.

16. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Berkley Big Game solar or Suffix Siege, both good and abrasion resistant, the Suffix seems to be better on a baitcaster since it has less memory.

17. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thought I was the only one here using Suffix. Suffix Siege Neon Tangerine 20lb. I use a 30lb. seaguar leader. I fish Calcutta baitcasters and love the low memory of the Suffix.

18. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Ive used the sufix in saltwater and really liked it on baitcaster for reds and trout.Just never tried the bigger sized line.I only used the 10lb and it is awesome.Thanks for sharing.

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Premium Salt Water Ande :cool2:.

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Berkeley Big Game in 50# is a line I like to use on my Abu Garcia 7000's
    I also, have found that Hi Seas Quattro Camo mono is some of the toughest line I've ever used..
    I found some at the Cabelas in PHX, AZ. a few years ago, and I like it in 30# on my Abu Garcia 6500's, for catfishing.
    Got some in 12# (Quattro) for slinging lures and light rigs!!