Help me pick a rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by elphaba7, Aug 30, 2005.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Hi guys, I'm new to the sport, new to the site. I'm getting a new pole setup this winter, and would like your valued opinions on which I should get. I'd like a 7' casting rod, and have narrowed my reel choices down to: Shimano Curado 100B, Team Daiwa S, or Abu Garcia Ambassadeur. Most of my fishing will be done in the same body of water, from the river that runs into the lake, to the tailrace. Either from shore or pier. I have two Shakespeare combo's from Wally, one 5' spinning reel, and a 6' spincast. I'm trying to round out my gear with something a little more quality. Right now, I'm fishing as much as possible, for whatever I can, but have realing been leaning toward nightfishing and cats. Remember, I'm very new to everything, and am still learning, please be forgiving! Thanks in advance for your help, this is a great site!

2. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    First you can't go wrong with an Ambassadeur reel, I would suggest a 6000 series (about $50-65.00 depending on where you buy new) just because of the "bait clicker" which in not available on the newer 5000 series. It's hard to beat an Ambassadeur, or for less money try a Shakespear Tidewater 20 or 30L (for about $35-40.00) For a rod I would suggest either an Ugly Stick Tiger 7'MH (about $55-60.00) or better yet an ABU "Brute" 7'MH for about $20.00. Either way you can't go wrong! Both rods and reels are great. Prefer the Ambassadeur personally, however that's my .02 cents worth.

Good luck with what ever you decide!
    Frank

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    You could get an Ugly Cat also at wally worlds for about 30$ M/H it is white works real good with my 6500c3.

4. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Ryang,
    Your right, I forgot about the Ugly Cat rods. Either way be sure and check the CATFISH CONNECTION at the top. They are one of our sponsers and their prices are GREAT, if you don't mind ordering over the phone/internet. Otherwise, you might try Wally World, etc. You never know, you might catch what you want on sale! :)

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    thanks, fellas. I did have a medium-heavy Ugly Stik on my list, can you explain what the differences are between the Tiger and the Ugly Cat?

6. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Price and number of eyes, other wise they are about the same. It's kind of the Chevy/Dodge/Ford argument. I have my opinions and so does everyone else. I guess it boils down to what you have used and had good vs bad luck with. Shakespear and ABU are both good brands and will stand behind the products. So are alot of the other "MAJOR" manufactors.

7. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    Jen, I agree with Frank on the Abu Garcia reels. I have three of them and love all three. 1) 6500cl3 2) 6600cl Rocket 3) 7000. These are for the money some of the best casting reels out there and dependable to boot.

Rods: All my rods are Shakespeare 1) Catfish Ugly Stick med heavy 7' $26 2) Ugly Stick 12' Surf heavy $80 3) Tidewater 6' heavy $65

Good luck in your search and welcome aboard.

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Individualist,
    Thanks for reminding me of my manners (what I have left), WELCOME ABOARD JEN!

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Welcome to the BOC!! A good rule of thumb on buying a good rod....There should be an eye on the rod for every foot the rod is long. Example..7' rod should have 7 eyes or more. Just my opinion.

10. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Thanks for the nice welcome!

I have been hearing more and more good things about the Abu Garcia products. They'll definately be bumped up the list.

Desperado, thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind when I actually go to buy.

Now another question: Rods come in 1 or 2 parts...the only info I could find for this reason is for travel, is this right? Would a one piece rod be stronger?

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most definitely, one piece rods are stronger than 2 piece.

Welcome to the B.O.C. :D

I personally own a pair of Ugly Stick Catfish rods you can get from Wal-Mart for about $28.

12. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Thanks RamRod. That's what I thought. I was going to go with a one piece design anyway, it just made more sense. :cool:

13. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Jen,Me I 'm thrity,cheap, frugal LOL. I've gotten several of the Berkly white cat rods from walleyworld. I prefer the white ones since I fish mainly at night. I've yet to break one and have landed some good sized fish.
    Reels, find one that you're comfortable with and then look around. You may get lucky like I did and find them at pawn shops, yard sells ect.Where else could you get a Penn 209 for $5.00?
    Good luck and welcome to the BOC!

14. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Thanks, Keith!

Wally is about the only place here in town to get supplies, but there is a Gander Mountain and Cabela's within 90 minutes...sometimes we take a drive out there. I have noticed that this Wally has a much better selection than two others I go to in neighboring towns. Prolly since it's smack dab in between two nice size lakes. I have the figure $200 in my head to spend on new gear, so the less money I spend on rod/reel, the more I have for new tackle :cool: I'm trying to be as thrifty as possible, but still get something that's going to hold up for more than a few years. My Wally Shakepeare combo I bought last summer is already getting pretty shabby. I've heard Shimano has a great customer service, for repair and servicing, and that is a plus, but I haven't heard anything about the other companies. Anyone have a tale to tell?

15. Bosshawg

Bosshawg New Member

State:
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm pretty new here myself Jen, but welcome aboard. My two cents...I personally use the Abu reels have a couple 6000's and one 5000, absolutely great quality reels. Now Shakespeare also makes some good reels. My fishin buddy swears by em and from my observations of them over the past couple years he has a valid arguement and I just recently bought one. It's a Shakespeare Catera 4300 under $40. Great casting distance and good drag control, can't say too much about the bait clicker on it. The reel felt good to me, and as has already been posted, find something you feel comfortable with. But as you mentioned about your budget, that Shakespeare reel is compareable in my opinion to some of the Abu Garcia stuff and it is a little cheaper (and I was a hardcore Abu Garcia fisherman myself). Good Luck!

Jerome

GOD GRANT THAT I MAY LIVE TO FISH... UNTIL MY DYING DAY. & WHEN MY FINAL CAST IS MADE I THEN MOST HUMBLY PRAY... WHEN IN THE LORDS LANDING NET. I'M PEACEFULLY ASLEEP. THAT IN HIS MERCY I BE JUDGED AS GOOD ENOUGH TO KEEP.

16. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    Check out www.catfishconnection.com

They have excelent prices on rods, reels, and tackle for catfishing. Way cheaper than BPS, Cabelas, or Gander Mountain, especially on things like hooks and sinkers, and some rods.

I recently bought a 9ft NiteStick casting rod from them for $23.

17. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Again, thanks to Nate and Jerome. I did look around on CC last nite, saw some great deals! It seems I spend a small fortune on all the "little stuff"...ya know, hooks, swivels, bobbers, etc. And my handle on my box broke the other day :sad: I guess like any girl, I love to shop...except I choose to spend my money on fishing gear...lol

18. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    jen, I think you and my wife tammy(shorte) have a lot in comman.
    She loves to fish,will drop my "honey-do" list to go fishin,and
    never fails to make sure the budget has "fishing supply" money in it.
    Lucky man am I :D

19. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    LOL, My grocery budget includes liver and nightcrawlers...my family has gotton use to "my spot" on the bottom shelf of the fridge for fishing...I usually clean the house, then "reward" myself with a trip to the lake...

20. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Jen try using some bait more like what your target cats might find where you fish. To be honest,only time I get livers or worms is when I;m hungry or fishing for bait. LOL
    Try some chubs, minnows, or shad(cut or live). You might get a little better fish with them. Just make sure the hook is big enough for your bait.
    Good luck