Help me pick a reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by yotetrapper, Mar 1, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Okay I dont know too awful much about reels. I'll tell you what I want ( sort of, lol) and what i'm going to be doing with it and am just looking for your opinions. OKay first of all, I'm fishing the Mississippi River. We have channels, blues and flats. People ask what I'm fishing, well, I'm fishing whatever hits my bait... a 2lb channel or a 50lb flathead. Some fishing from a boat, more bank fishing.

Now for a reel... I dont like the really huge heavy reels. I want something smaller than that, but big enough to handle whatever it might catch, if there is such a thing. Also, I'm wanting a spinning reel. Probably running mostly 20lb line. I was thinking of either a Penn or Okuma but am open to suggestions.

I appreciate your help. Thanks

angela

2. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i dont think you go wrong with the penn reels they are good qaulity reels. i have several penn reels and i have not had any problems out of any of them and i use them 3 to 4 times a week during the summer.

3. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    let em start by saying hi and welcome to the boc angela i also fish the mississippi river and i know you asked about spinning reels but i use abu 6000 casting reels and have never lost a fish due to lack of reel i can not give much advise on spinning reels because the only spinning reels i have used in the past few years are ultrlights

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    IMO,an Abu Garcia 6000 or a 6500 spooled with 20-30lb test big game would do you really well.I've had a few for several years and with regular cleaning and general maintenance you can pull in large fish.A buddy of mine brought in a 77.3lb flattie with an Abu 6000,17lb test on a 8' Rhino Rod.I know this personally.My biggest on my 6500 was 33.5lbs and could have handled plenty more.
    Best of Luck to you in whatever you get.Good Luck in 2007!!!
    :0a26: :006:

5. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    the shakespeare and okuma baitrunner spinning reels are both fine affordable choices.If you want to pay a little more penn's are unbeatable and should last a lifetime.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
  7. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Angela you cant go wrong with a shimano baitrunner or okuma they both come in different sizes and will handle anything you will encounter in the river,Good luck on you fishing and hope you hook one that will give the reel all it wants whatever you choose

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Tony is right. Don't know about the Okuma, but the Shimano Baitrunner comes in several sizes and will work well with 20 lb plus line.

9. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks guys... A lot of you mentioned brands and styles but not the sizes. The sizes is what gets me.... i want big enough without being too big. any suggestions?

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Another question... was looking at the PENN Captiva CV4000.... anyone have one of these and will it handle big cats?

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The Abu 6000 & 6500 aren't too big but big enough to handle about anything you'd hook into.They are baitcasters but a little practice and they get easy.Any ?'s,ask on the thread or PM me.
    Hope this helps you some!

12. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've used baitcasters before but I sure can't get the hang of em. Was really wanting a spinning reel.....

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I apologize. :eek:oooh: I like spinning reels also but for gills,bass,crappie,carp,ETC...
    If you try baitcasters again,there is plenty of good info in here to master throwing them.
    Whatever you wind up with,I wish you the very best in 2007 and many years to come!!!
    Don't take me the wrong way,there's nothing at all with using spinning reels for catfish.Look at catbusster,he tears up 200+ Wels cats with Heavy Duty spinning gear.That says something about how tough it is.
    Didn't mean to come off the wrong way...

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've a Penn Captiva CV 4000. Been using it about a month. Its a very smooth and, so far, reliable reel at a good price...usually about $49 at Cabela's and Bass Pro, got mine at Gander Mtn for $39. But, I wouldn't put line heavier than 15 lb test for mono on it. I'm about to switch out the Trilene XL it came with for Sufix 15 lb test. As I must first put braid on a couple of baitcasters that will hold over 300 yards, I'm putting off what I want to do with the reel, spool it with 30 lb Fireline, probably the Chrystal. If you need stronger test line than 15 lb mono, I'd suggest going that route. Some will tell you to use Power Pro on the spinner, but from the saltwater guys I talk to, Fireline gets rave reveiws.

15. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think Catfish Connection has an Okuma Baitfeeder spinning combo on sale - check hot deals/closeout.

Shawn

16. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I really enjoy the Okuma Coronado CD90. but it might be what u consider a 'big reel'. my suggestion is to go to a local bait shop or a bass pro or something and check them out in person. nothing feels better than going and playing with all kinds of rods and reels in person.

17. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a couple of Shakespeare Alpha 2560 spinning reels spooled with 20# big game and for the last 2 years they have been flawless,

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    angela go to walmart or whatever store you use and pick out a reel that will hold about i40 to 160 yds. of 20 lb. test line.that reel will be as big as you need.buying a reel according to price is not nessecery.wait till you find the size reel you are comfortable with and then spend a lot of money.you dont want to invest a lot of money and then find out its not what you wanted.thats just me.johnnie

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I ilke Abu 7000 and shakesphere tidewater30L andskp2000 they handle 20#line well

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If I was going small but strong, I would get a baitcaster like a Abu 6000, 6500, or even a 5500. These are good reels and they are light. I dont know of any spinning reels that are real small that hold 20 lb test line.