Help me pick a fishing reel!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by 223Smitty, May 15, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I picked-up a new Ugly Stik Catfish today (along with some 30lb. Big Game line) & need to get a reel for it. I have a few baitcasters I use for bass fishing, so I'm familiar with using them, other than the the added weight inherent to catfishing.

The rod is 7' 1-pc, MH action, and I'm 6'2" with fairly large hands, so something with a power handle would be best. I'm looking to spend $75-$100 for a decent reel. I've read thru alot of the old posts, looks like Abu or Penn are the preferred brands, but I'm unfamiliar with either.

I'm gonna go with the "majority" of the advice you all give.

Thanks!
    Smitty

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    the shakespere tidewater is a real good reel, and it is about 35 bucks at Walmart

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Abu 7000c3 would be nice for somebody with large hands. I am not sure what would be best in the Penn line.

4. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Have to agree with Cat_Hunter. I'd go with an Abu 7000. Never owned, or even held a Penn, as good as they may be, just haven't had the opportunity.

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    try the penn 209 it's like 55.00 at pbs and they are a great reel for the white uglycatfish that is one of my favorite combos i hope this helps

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ammbassaduer 7000 or the Penn 310. You will luv em both. We will have no problem spendin your money. Both are level wind reels that will match up good with your rod choice and perform well for ya. Go to thier respective web sites and read up on them.

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I would agree with this unless distance is a major concern and then a 6500 will give you longer casts.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like the abu 7000 myself it casts really well and can haul in the big ones.

9. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i would have to say go with the 7000 or if you can find one get the 7000b its the green frame reel....

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The Pflueger Trion, round baitcaster model 66 would be a great reel for the rod you have and that setup would be great for catfish, big bass, striped bass, musky, salmon and many others. I have about 20 rod and reels and I like my pflueger so well I now use 4 of them and my peens and abus are resting.

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Firstly, thanks for all the quick replies. The Abu 7000C3 got mentioned enough for me to do alittle more indepth research.
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarcia7000c3.html

Curious as to if any of you feel this is an accurate review on this reel, or if you've noticed any of the mentioned shortcomings of this reel.

Thanks!
    Smitty

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think a nice big abu 7000 would do you quite well.

13. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I own ABu's, Dawia's, Shamino's and Penn's and given the choice I would take a Penn Jigmaster 500 over any of them.

14. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Penn 209 Best all purpose reel for my money. Runs about $50. delivered to your door, with a guarentee. Out of New York.:0a27:
    Don

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    My friend has the reeling problem mentioned in the thread with his 7000c3 the drag holds strong but the handle slips when tring to reel under pressure???????:crazy: :confused2: it dosent make sence to me. he also has the reg 7000(red) and has had no problems with it. If anyone knows how to fix the reelling problem please post.:wink:

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I use ABU 6000 and 6500 7 in all and they are outstanding reels hold up to just about everything you can bring on them new around 60 bucks or check out ebay i got new ones there for 40 bucks each.

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Your friend has probably either rounded the corners on the shaft or stripped out the hole in the handle itself. Replace either the shaft or the handle, possibly both. The only differences between the 6500 and the 7000c is line capacity and handle size and about $35. My husband has very big hands and he recommends the 6500. He also likes the Daiwa 6H. The Tidewater is a good reel also for the money. It is a very large frame reel. The Daiwa has a quiter clicker and a better mechanism. Any clicking for channel cats is a detriment, because they feel the vibration and let go of the bait. You should also look into gear ratios and the retrieve, because Shimano makes some that are very high ratio (quick retrieve). The ones that seem to work best for him are in the 5.1 to 1 ratio and the 4.7 to 1 ratio. Bigger frames work better for bigger line (50 lb.range). Heavier the line, bigger the diameter. 30 lb. line is what he uses on all of his, and it works fine for the 6500, but larger lines make it harder to control backlashing (overrun). The braided lines and the spectra lines are very difficult to use on a level wind because you have to spool them under extreme high tension or they won't lay right. It will cause the line to kink and jerk or pop.

18. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    What ever you get make sure it's a pretty color.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hope you haven't ran out and spent your money yet. LOL. It looks like the Abu 7000 is leading the parade. I have bought 3 of them off ebay. The models I got was the Abu Garcia BG 7000 HS which sells in Walmart for $164.00 and slightly higher at Bass Pro. With shipping, the most I spent on any of the 7000's was $94.00. I'd recommend you shop that way, unless you need it ASAP. But, I could always wait 7 to 10 days to get something at almost 1/2 price. Oh, forgot, Wally World charges 8% tax here, so that would bring the reel up to about $175.00... that's a sizeable difference.

20. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nah....no hurry....not loading-up to leave for another 15 minutes :tounge_out:

Seriously, all these replies (again, much appriciated) are the reasons I'd asked. I was initially impressed with all the 7000 comments, but with reading the review, and seeing someone here seeing the same problem concerns me.

Smitty