Help me pick a AR style rifle..

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by BLKCLOUD, Sep 30, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have looked at several, Colt, Bushmaster,& High Standard..i'll be getting it in .223 and a will mount a scope..I was amazed that the colts and the bushmasters were the same price..at about 1400.00.. the high standard was about 875.00. thanks!!

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Keith, I know I'm being "nosey",,,but why don't ya fix the mini 14 ?

3. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    RRA. Buy a kit minus the lower receiver and assembly it yourself. Very easy and will save you $250-$300. RRA is equal to Bushmaster in quality. Do your homework and good shooting.

4. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Forgot to add, the lower will require a FFL purchase but everthing else can be shipped straight to your home.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont know anything about them guns but i am just wondering why someone would want one? i know folks that have them and i know its fast shooting gun but all i use my guns for is hunting and i can get by with a bolt action rifle myself. the folks i know that have them use them for hunting and they dont mind letting the bullets fly either. i dont know it just scares the crap out of me. from what i have seen they are not all that accurate from the factory and for the cost of one......just dont make sense to me. what do you plan to do with yours? maybe im missing something here. not trying to be negative towards your purchase ...just wondering what the use was going to be?

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A buddy of mune has a DPMS that I really like. I shot an Armalite once that I didn't like. Not that I didn't like the brand, and there were no malfunctions with either rifle, but I liked the feel of the DPMS. Reason being, the forearm is metal, rather than polymer, and has a bull barrell. I don't like a gun to be too light, 'cause I'm not as steady with it. Of coarse, you will be able to find the same accessories no matter what brand that you buy

His DPMS is decked out. It has the picatiny accessory rails, so anything can be bolted on anywhere. It is a very accurate rifle for an automatic. This guy is friends with another guy that owns several pawn stores, so he got a good deal. He paid $750 for his. It had only had maybe 50 rounds through it before he bought it. I don't know what new cost would be because I don't know what model it is.

Here's a link to DPMS.
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    COLT

Colts are real nice I used a bunch of them.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id go with one in .308 or something like that if i were going to hunt with it,unless its varmints your after.Im not a very big fan of the .223 though.

9. josh caudill

josh caudill New Member

State:
    kentucky,hartford
    I have an olypic arms 223. over 6k rounds not one hickup paid 650 at whittiker guns in west louisville ky(not actually west side of louisville). i think they have a web site and they carry everything and less expinsive than any place i have seen. This gun has teloscoping buttstock 14" berral no rails for bs add ons. have fun with your ar.

if you sight in at 30yd with it set on 300 yards it will be dead on for 300yd. windage not so easy.good luck:wink:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I wish I could help ,But I have absolutly no knoweledge about them assaualt type rifles,sept for my 129.00 chinese sks,also cant see much use in em .I only use mine for occasional plinking,even though I only got it cause Bill told me it was illegal to own one,and thats all changed with george ha ha.

11. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I did call ruger and was quoted 221.00 to replace the barrel..:angry::angry:
    After I posted here I started reading about them on the perfect union forum and from what I gathered after about 10-20 shots you have to re-zero the scope because of the horendus recoil.. I'm about tired of fooling with it..thanks!

12. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I'm one of them gun nuts..:wink: I have absoultly no need for one..but I do, do alot of shooting, so much in fact that I built a regulation skeet range in my backyard with 'lectric throwers and everything..:big_smile: what should scare you is the thought of us "not" having one..:big_smile:

13. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Better get them now before the change in office. Keith if you know were a Shotgun News magazine is there is a company, can't remember the name but they have the M4 setup Bushmaster for $699.

14. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Buddy ya can get a recoil buffer for bout $15 that will take care of that.
    Buffer Technologies, part # E78-10525
    www.bluepress.com

:big_smile:

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I once felt pretty much like you do.Went to a Gun show one day.Bought two of the Chinese SKS rifles with the spike bayonet and 2500 rounds of lead core ammo.300 rounds were soft point hunting ammo.All for $400.00.I lucked up as the rifles were as accurate as my 30-30 Marlin 336.Great for bad weather hunting.Stick the spike in the ground,drape a piece of plastic over it,wrap a piece of inner tube around the plastic at the bayonet and let in rain,snow,sleet or hail.It also fit great with me in my military poncho or my Aussie waxed drovers coat.I often used both to sleep and live in instead of a tent.I found them to be a simple,cheap,do the job under any conditions closer range tool for hunting where I did not want to take and abuse my Marlin 336,my $3200.00 custom fit KDF Klinegunther rifle with Swarovski scope I had saved for 40 years to buy or my Winchester Classic Sportster I sold my vacation to buy.I rub Penn Reel or Yamaha Blue Marine Grease into all the metal and Turtle Wax all of the wood on all of my "All weather"guns.It keeps them as waterproof as anything I have found so far.Anywhere that I cannot reach with the Grease,I place a drop of Kroil oil with a broom straw.Before this I used a old weatherproofed bolt action 30-30.I ain't never been one for heating up a barrel.It ruins the barrels and a hot barrel shoots where it wants to,not where I want it to.Nothing wrong with a cheap gun that does the job.I would be just as satisfied with them if they had any type of reliable action.I took what I could get for the price and was well satisfied.I have cheap ammo to shoot along with.I would never buy a medium to expensive gun to "use"under all conditions.I have a hard used Spanish double 12 gauge 3 inch mag.shotgun for the same kind of use.I sure do miss my guns.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I've started looking around my self for one, probably will get a flat top.
    A local shop has some collapsible DPMS's on the shelf and they appeared to be pretty nice guns for the money.

17. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Gunbroker.com has stainless Ruger Mini 14 barrels for cheap. $20-$29. They unscrew like a bottle cap. Might be worth a try before you buy a new AR. Good luck

18. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I thought about this but dont have any head spacing tools and dont know anything about head spacing..??:sad2:

19. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We carry the Colt M-4 rifles here at work and love them! I'd buy a Colt before a Bushmaster, Colts have really good barrels, and trust me they are extremely accurate. The M-4 has a flat top with detachable carrying handle so you can customize it. Ours are full auto but we never use that feature. Oh, ours also have the 11.5 inch barrel so if you're looking for long range stick with a longer barrel version. Chris

20. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Between myself and my neighbor buddy, both of us are Viet vets have between us a colt, a rock river and an armalite. They are all very good. The rock river handles very nice and the armalite is the most accurate. Go to a gun show and handle all the brands. You will find the one you like most. Good luck and good shooting.