help me over heat my house , i cant afford to

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Feb 19, 2008.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    you see programs asking for donations to help with the less fortunate
    with there high utility bills every winter .
    i get so mad to go into " disadvantaged " homes and about fall over from
    the heat that their furnaces are pounding out .
    ALMOST EVERY house i go into has a severe problem of how they set their thermostat . the dang furnace runs the whole time i'm there .
    i make it a point to look at each and every thermostat when i go in just to see and i am amazed that they are 98% pegged on the 80 mark and the room temp is pegged as well .
    i swear to christ i've even witnessed entry doors opened up ,and windows opened up ,and 3 cases where they had air conditioner turned on to cool the house down instead of just setting the dang thermostat down to about 70 or so and going from there .
    i would never in a million years give blindly (aside from forced taxation)
    to any of these power bill help programs .
    i say if you personally know some one that is having a hard time paying there bills then help that individual . i work in appx. 200 houses and this is a tiny fractional portion of the house holds with the same mindset so you can only imagine how much energy is wasted daily and how much supposed financial help is being needlessly wasted by these thoughtless people
    that don't want to conserve .
    i wish they would install a restrictive thermostat that only allows the appliance to heat up to 73 degrees on households that ask for assistance with their heat bills.
    anyone that runs their furnace up to make their house 80 degrees in the winter and then wants air conditioning on when its 80 degrees or hotter in the summer ain't playing with a full deck.
    theres no happy medium.
    sorry for rant but i had to get that off my chest .

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I open up a window once in a while during the winter, but my wood stove gets carry ed away once in a while. lol I don't get any help so I use wood and propane. Don't need or want help either.

A lot of people on public assistance have no idea where money comes from, except the government. lol they expect to be kept. Section 8 housing/food stamps/ all sorts of free stuff.

I'm glad I live in the country. In town, I would let my mouth get me shot. lol

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I know exactly what you mean. I've got several pieces of rental property, and it's common for me to go inside where it's 80-85 degrees; of course, the renter starts complaining about the high cost of utilities as soon as I enter the door. I even have a lot of trouble getting them to understand that if they'll change the filter when it starts to get dirty, it will save them a lot on heating & cooling. They just don't seem to have any conception of the ideas of cause and effect.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Unfortuneately I feel that most of them have been given what they need for so long they feel that its owed to them. The old "I HAVE RITES" outlook. :angry:

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    its a battle around here. lol i turn it down to 62 the wife turns it up to 70. i say wear a sweat shirt!

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I like the idea of restrictor thermostats for those receiving aid.Natural gas prices are just too high.We just bought our house last year and I swear I spent 10 hrs. winterizing it.I insulated everything that wasnt,taped all the seams in the ductwork,weatherstripped all doors and windows and it really made a difference.We also bought a programmable thermostat so that we can adjust the temp. according to our schedule.Helps out a lot.

7. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah some people have everything given to them. This is usually what happens when you dont have to pay for something yourself.....it gets abused.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you dont work for a living and you have all the time in the world to figure out and beat the system, a thermostat of monumental proportions will be shortly figured out and bypassed.:wink:

9. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Mark you said a mouthful right there

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I pay my own power bills. I run the winter heat at 70 and the summer cool at 80. I put on extra clothes in the winter and get n@@@d in the summer. :wink::crazy::tounge_out:

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I did not need to know this, LMAO!!!!!!!