Help me out

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JHalden, Sep 7, 2009.

1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    I was fortunate enough to receive a really nice cabelas prodigy baitcasting reel and I was planning on switching it out for a left hand retrieve but I am thinking of just upgrading to something a lil bigger. I already have a revo sx so I don't need another bass reel, what I want is a heavier duty baitcaster that I can just keep some heavy braid on. Im checkin out those ambassadeurs but whats with the low number of bearrings? Could someone fill me in on the importance of bearrings in the reels it seems like if it's a reel for heavier line and harder fighting fish why would it have less bearrings? I thought it made for a smoother drag on big runs from fish and all that...

Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Some people put a lot of stock into bearings. And in some instances they do help the performance of a reel...a lot. However, I personally don't think that the Ambassadeurs lose much at all with the bushing reels. I know that they can still cast a mile, whether it's bushing or bearing. I have a couple of C4's, that are listed with 4 bearings, while my father has a couple of the old 5000's, which are bushing. I can tell you from experience that his do not have any trouble casting as far as mine.

Durability is probably one of the bigger advantages of bearings. They won't wear like a bushing will.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    I AGREE with Rob on this i got a abu not long ago that has a bearing on each side of the spool i have two abu's that have a bearing on one side and bushing on the other the reels with the bushings will out cast the other reel that has two bearings and i know its not the line i am using all 3 reels have the same line so myself i dont put a lot of faith in this bearing's being better than bushings its for sher a bearing will out last a bushings but i cant complain about the performence i get out of bushings my 2 cents

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  4. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The higher number of bearings are used in applications of light(er) line and light(er) lures/bait, AND in applications with extremely high numbers of presentations. Not the sit and wait game we play with 20-30lb line and chunks of lead we catapult into our favorite hole.

Functionally:
    Bearings perform a seperate function from the drag. Bearings/bushings are the precision element that allows the spool to rotate at high speeds during the cast. Less friction on the spool shaft (which goes through center of busing or bearing) means higher speed of rotation, which means longer distance cast.

Your drag is the slip plate mechanism that allows the spool to rotate while it is engaged. Smoother drag means less chance of line failure during the fight. Drag washers are fiber material sandwiched between the mechanical metal plates that produce compression and resistance to rotation. Drag washers wear out, are often poorly maintained, and always fail at the wrong time. You may see mention of Carbon Fiber or Carbontex drag washers. This is a debatable upgrade for the majority of catfishermen. I highly recommend loosening your drag star all the way when the reel is in storage, tight drags over compress, deform, and wear out the washers.

Both drag washers and bearings/bushings are designed as an expendable/maintenance parts, that should be replaced. My drag washers are replaced without question annually. I inspect my bearings, usually twice a season, and don't hesitate to replace. Worn out bearings and bushings that aren't replaced with result in a spool shaft that is bent. Spools cost more than bushings/bearings, and will render the reel basically useless.

I would rather use a reel with factory parts that is properly maintained, than a poorly maintained reel with upgraded expendable parts. Abu drag washers and bearings are inexpensive. Off the top of my head, 2 bearings and 3 drag washers is about $5.00.

5. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    "How many" bearings there are isn't as big of an issue as "where" the bearings are. I've learned that with some cheaper reels. You can pour a handfull of bearings into the side of a reel, and it won't work at all. :tounge_out:

6. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Thank you everybody for your replies and wow that really taught me a lot about reels I didnt know! :roll_eyes:

Seems inexpensive enough to maintain and as long as you take care of them it seems like they wont let you down... anyone ever had these reels let them down before? I'm sure they are great reels though everyone I talk to that has them just love em.