help me on the ohio river

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by jg_gmc, Jan 19, 2008.

1. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    hey guys! new to the site here and was just wanting to say hi. been flathead huntin now since last august. landed a 34 " 16 lb and been hooked ever since. primarily fishing between newcumberland locks and the pike island locks on the ohio river(both wv and oh sides) but still really havent found that magic spot yet. anybody have any secrets to finding monsters from the banks of the ohio? ive got the desire, just not the knowledge.

2. FDR

FDR Member

State:
    Ohio,Cincinnati
    Welcome to the BOC!

3. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Welcome to the BOC. I'm sure someone here can help you out.

4. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    you came to the right place.pay attention to a guy named Rollo.he's kind of smart.

5. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Doing your own exploration is the best way to find good spots. You'll want to fish around creek mouths, sand bars, current breaks, changes in current direction, structure such as standing timber, log jams, sunken boats etc. Fish shallow, fish deep. Use live bait and cut bait. Sooner or later you will find a really good spot! The main thing is keep looking. Finding your own new areas is really rewarding.

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    jg_gmc:

I would say start above New Cumberland locks, right around Newell WV, go out of the State Park there on the river in Newell they have a good boat ramp and plenty of parking space and it is watched by securtity for ya while your gone fishing. Fish down river, about 1/2 mile down river is an old lock and dam that was imploded, very good area to fish for flatheads at night, and along the WV bank all the way down past the oil plant.

Fish out of Toronto below New Cumberland Lock and dam, you have a island called Browns Island , you can spend weeks on this island against it and you will do well if you know how to catch Flatheads, this Island is ranked the top 10 places to fish on the Ohio river for Flatheads, We did very well when we lived there. I grew up around the Chester, Newell, WV and Georgetown Pa on the Ohio its a great area to fish.

Hope this helps you some

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A lot of locals fish the wall (old lock & dam #9) on the Ohio side just below New Cumberland L&D about a mile. Several nice flatheads have been taken there off the bank. One of our members ,"Baitkiller" fish there all the time.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry joadb, not much help for there. i fish the ohio river between willow island and st. marys , and the section above st. marys. i only boat fish it as well. the only advice i can give you for bankfishing the ohio is if you can find any structure that may line the bank going out into the water, get a bait by it.. most of the fish we catch on the river are associated with or around the little bit of stucture that my be present, along with rip rap rock, or other structure. i like anchoring up and placing baits in about 20 ft. of water, also fishing the shallower banks at night. also, i use big baits when fishing the ohio...seems to me like them flats really like big gills such as redears..goodluck bro...sorry can't help you more all the advice above sounds like good info. maybe baitkiller can help you some...rollo

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dont know much about that stretch of the river...Welcome to the BOC!

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!
    I can't help with that stretch of the river, I fish around Ashland,KY and down toward the Greenup Locks & Dam. If you ever get down this way I could show you some decent bank spots.:big_smile: