Help me narrow this down

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by shortbus, Apr 29, 2006.

1. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I went fishing on the river today (wabash). We had slight rain all day, barometer was level @ 30.0, water was a little muddy and lowering from the heavy rain we had a week or so ago. Fish were jumping all over the place. I used cut chubs and cured liver, fished on the bottom and with a float. First place I fished was a deep hole. I tried in the hole at the edge of the hole in the riffles above the hole and on the back side of the hole. Second place I fished has a lot of log structure along the banks and is maybe 10ft deep in the middle. Fished all along the structure and even in it, tried fishing the middle current of the river and everything. Again fish were jumpin and swirlin all over. The rain we had today was just moving in when I got to the river, I don't know if this change had an effect on the fish. Well, I had NO bites at all today which hardly ever happens. I gave up on the fish, went and found a trashbag someone left and cleaned all the trash off the bank where I was fishing.
    Does anyone see anything in my description that would make the fish not want to bite? I fished for 6 hours in good spots with zero bites???

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if the rain was moving in then no doubt the barometor was falling. for me that means bad fishing. you said fish were jumping too, thats another sign that it was falling. for some reason fish start jumping (especially carp) when it is falling. what city do you live in? check out the below website for weather info, just type in the nearest city and do a search for the historical data for the day in question. http://www.wunderground.com/

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I looked at that site and it said the barometer was falling. So will the barometer raise after this storm passes? Will the fishing be good when the barometer rises? Thanx a ton

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sorry about the fish, but really feel happy that you filled a trash bag. Thats a part of my normal tackle for bank fishing. You can't count on them to clean up after themselves, so somebody has to do it... usually me.

5. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think, from what I read above, that the river level dropping was your problem. I've caught good fish when the water level was stable, better on a rise, but seldom anything on a drop. I don't think the rain had anything to do with your bad luck, I like to fish in a light rain - a few weeks ago, my oldest son and I were caught by a heavy rain, then hail, some sun, then more rain and hail mixed, then sun and clouds for the rest of the day. We caught quite a few nice channels.

By the way, the river was on a rise. Thanks for cleaning up the environment, it's something we all should do.