Help me make up my mind on a line choice.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by mbill, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Ok I need some help on my line choice. I bought the Okuma Baitfeeder Avenger in size 50. It says it will hold 280 yds. 0f 15lb. I know I'm going with a braid in probably the Power Pro line because I have some on other poles. I will be using it on Flats and going after hopefully big Channels from rivers to lakes.
    I can't decide whether to go with the 50lb or 65lb. 50/12 or 65/16. I know my casting distance will be better when I need it with the 50, but will it be that much better over the 65 since I use a good bit of sinker weight? Also I should be able to put the full 300yds of 50 on the reel according to the manuf info. But should be able to fit over 200 yds of the 65 according to the same info. So should I opt for the stronger line? Just need some of your insight and past experiences with this. Thanks again for your help.

2. gunslick

gunslick New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Go with your gut man

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally i would go with the smaller line but I also use 25Lb test line myself.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Have a few of those an I prefer the 20lb.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Both are plenty strong enough but it depends on what's down there where you are fishing. 50/12 will have less abrasion resistance than 65/16...W

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i would go with the smaller line personally.main reason is it will be hard enough to break off if ya get hung up,let alone the heavier line.

i only use 30 pound mono anyway,so i really don't have much experience with the braids.sometimes,it seems like i can't get 30 pound mono broken when i am snagged:eek:oooh:

7. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Matt, get ya some viscous braid line in the size ya have on ur 6500c3 and ull be good to go lmao that shit is a tank i swear ......sniper

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Go with mono. I use thirty pound Big Game on my Shakespeare Tide Water on a fifteen foot Sil Star, it works great. Remember if you make a hundred yard cast and get snagged you will be cutting off a hundred yards of line. It wont take to many snags and you will be re spooling again.......:crazy:

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27:

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thought you would be too old to throw that 15 foot rod jack.....:roll_eyes:

11. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    What is the the second number in the 50/12?

12. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would go with the 65. The casting distance shouldn't decrease that much. Andrew

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I assume that second number, the 12, is the diameter of the braid in mono. It's saying 50# braid diameter = 12# mono diameter ; )

Upon extensively using both the 50# and 65# Power pro, I am much happier using the 65#. Use a #40 mono leader and it will break at the leader instead of the mainline..like Jack is talking about,,,this avoids that.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  14. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Thanks Everyone for your help I know what I'm going with now glad I came to you guys for help.:wink:

15. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    40 lb trilene big cat in the solar green color....
    ill never use nothing but that

16. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    If you're using atleats 2oz sinkers, your casting distance won't be much different. I've used both, and could cast a LONG ways with both.